Problems Opening 2.8.20

programmer_ceds
Hi all, I have problems opening my new installation of GIMP 2.8.20. As its
opening, it stops at the Querying New Plugins shift.exe phase and doesn't want
to respond. Any clues?  Ta ;)

--
LeccyD (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Problems Opening 2.8.20

Ofnuts-2
On 12/03/17 12:42, LeccyD wrote:
> Hi all, I have problems opening my new installation of GIMP 2.8.20. As its
> opening, it stops at the Querying New Plugins shift.exe phase and doesn't want
> to respond. Any clues?  Ta ;)

Find that shift.exe (from memory in c:\Program
Files\Gimp2\usr\lib\2.0\gimp\plugins), move it elsewhere, and restart
Gimp, does the startup completes? Or seems to hang on another one?

Problems Opening 2.8.20

programmer_ceds
>Find that shift.exe (from memory in c:\Program
>Files\Gimp2\usr\lib\2.0\gimp\plugins), move it elsewhere, and restart
>Gimp, does the startup completes? Or seems to hang on another one?

Thanks for the reply, Ofnuts. Well GIMP loaded until it got to grid.exe and then
when I tried to move that elsewhere it says that GIMP was using that file right
then and I couldn't paste it anywhere else. I don't have GIMP open for it to be
in use! Grrrrrrrrr!

--
LeccyD (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Problems Opening 2.8.20

programmer_ceds
>Thanks for the reply, Ofnuts. Well GIMP loaded until it got to
>grid.exe and then when I tried to move that elsewhere it says that
>GIMP was using that file right then and I couldn't paste it anywhere
>else. I don't have GIMP open for it to be in use! Grrrrrrrrr!

I've taken out shift.exe, grid.exe and blur.exe and it loads! Well we've solved
that problem but the reason why I updated to 2.8.20 was to see if I can get rid
of the inability of editing text once I've saved a file. So after fiddling
around with the plugins, I still can't edit text. Seriously thinking I need to
look elsewhere.

--
LeccyD (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Problems Opening 2.8.20

Patrick Shanahan
* LeccyD <[hidden email]> [03-13-17 16:53]:

> >Thanks for the reply, Ofnuts. Well GIMP loaded until it got to
> >grid.exe and then when I tried to move that elsewhere it says that
> >GIMP was using that file right then and I couldn't paste it anywhere
> >else. I don't have GIMP open for it to be in use! Grrrrrrrrr!
>
> I've taken out shift.exe, grid.exe and blur.exe and it loads! Well we've solved
> that problem but the reason why I updated to 2.8.20 was to see if I can get rid
> of the inability of editing text once I've saved a file. So after fiddling
> around with the plugins, I still can't edit text. Seriously thinking I need to
> look elsewhere.

how did you save the file?  if you wrote a jpg or png ... you have lost
your layers, they are merged, ie: you don't have a text layer to edit.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

Problems Opening 2.8.20

programmer_ceds
>* LeccyD <[hidden email]> [03-13-17 16:53]:
>how did you save the file?  if you wrote a jpg or png ... you have
>lost
>your layers, they are merged, ie: you don't have a text layer to edit.

Hi Patrick, thanks for the reply. Well I saved my file as the native .xcf file.
As soon as I save it, close it and reopen it, I can't redit the text. Yet I have
seen others do it on their screens! Is it because I'm still using Windows 7? I'm
stumped!

--
LeccyD (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Problems Opening 2.8.20

Patrick Shanahan
* LeccyD <[hidden email]> [03-14-17 15:41]:
> >* LeccyD <[hidden email]> [03-13-17 16:53]:
> >how did you save the file?  if you wrote a jpg or png ... you have
> >lost
> >your layers, they are merged, ie: you don't have a text layer to edit.
>
> Hi Patrick, thanks for the reply. Well I saved my file as the native .xcf file.

did you merge or flatten layers before saving?

> As soon as I save it, close it and reopen it, I can't redit the text. Yet I have
> seen others do it on their screens! Is it because I'm still using Windows 7? I'm
> stumped!

I only see any version of windows on someone else's box and haven't had
gimp there for years and much has changed.  sorry.
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

Problems Opening 2.8.20

programmer_ceds
>* LeccyD <[hidden email]> [03-14-17 15:41]:
>did you merge or flatten layers before saving?
>I only see any version of windows on someone else's box and haven't
>had
>gimp there for years and much has changed.  sorry.

Wow, that's just strange, Patrick, because what you said worked.  I recreated an
original template of a wedding invite and made sure I recreated all the text
from scratch. I saved it as an ordinary native .xcf file. I closed it and I
closed GIMP. I reopened GIMP and reopened the file and voila there are editable
text boxes! Happy Days!!!!

So the process of creating a jpg file compresses the original even though you
are not saving your original as a jpg file! I thought that was what saving it as
a jpg file was for! Not changing the original! Well I've learnt my lesson and a
big thanks to Ofnuts and Patrick for their help!

--
LeccyD (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Problems Opening 2.8.20

Michael Schumacher

On 03/15/2017 11:43 AM, LeccyD wrote:

> So the process of creating a jpg file compresses the original even though you
> are not saving your original as a jpg file! I thought that was what saving it as
> a jpg file was for! Not changing the original! Well I've learnt my lesson and a
> big thanks to Ofnuts and Patrick for their help!

You save XCF and you export JPEG.

Exporting to JPEG does not modify the image you got in GIMP, provided
that you do not do any additional steps to it. You do not have to do any
additional steps to facilitate the export.