Problem with TIFF images in GIMP 2.8

mauriciorubik
Hi folks, I'm trying to work with TIFF images got from Image Pro Plus but GIMP 2.8 doesn't open them, I found that's a problem related to Image Pro Plus because misses some tags. Also, I tried with ImageMagick using:

convert "prueba 1.tif" "prueba 1.png"

convert "prueba 1.tif" "prueba 2.tif"

The first works fine, just with some warnings, PNG image was created succesfully.
The second doesn't work and in any case if I do:

convert "prueba 1.tif" -identify

got:

convert: incorrect count for field "DateTime" (27, expecting 20); tag trimmed. `prueba 1.tif'.
convert: prueba 1.tif: unknown field with tag 40001 (0x9c41) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory'.
convert: prueba 1.tif: unknown field with tag 50288 (0xc470) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory'.
convert: prueba 1.tif: unknown field with tag 50291 (0xc473) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory'.

Original image got from Image Pro Plus: http://uploads.boxify.me/89236/prueba_1.tif?1346433567

Maybe you can add some support for that :)

Sorry if my english isn't good, I'm improving it.

Problem with TIFF images in GIMP 2.8

AndyJP
>Hi folks, I'm trying to work with TIFF images got from Image Pro Plus but
>GIMP 2.8 doesn't open them, I found that's a problem related to Image Pro
>Plus because misses some tags. Also, I tried with ImageMagick using:
<snip>

If you use IM identify -verbose you get

Image: prueba_1.tif
  Format: TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)
  Class: DirectClass
  Geometry: 1392x1040+0+0
  Resolution: 300x300
  Print size: 4.64x3.46667
  Units: PixelsPerInch
  Type: TrueColor
  Base type: TrueColor
  Endianess: MSB
  Colorspace: RGB
  Depth: 12-bit............

AFAIK tthat is the problem,  12 bit image, I would ask on the IM forum for advice on conversion.

--
rich (via gimpusers.com)

Problem with TIFF images in GIMP 2.8

AndyJP
>>Hi folks, I'm trying to work with TIFF images got from Image Pro Plus but
>>GIMP 2.8 doesn't open them, I found that's a problem related to Image Pro
>>Plus because misses some tags. Also, I tried with ImageMagick using:
><snip>

>If you use IM identify -verbose you get

>Image: prueba_1.tif
>  Format: TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)
>  Class: DirectClass
>  Geometry: 1392x1040+0+0
>  Resolution: 300x300
>  Print size: 4.64x3.46667
>  Units: PixelsPerInch
>  Type: TrueColor
>  Base type: TrueColor
>  Endianess: MSB
>  Colorspace: RGB
>  Depth: 12-bit............

>AFAIK tthat is the problem,  12 bit image, I would ask on the IM forum for advice on conversion.

A quick test and the absolute minimum IM command is
convert prueba_1.tif -depth 8 new.tif
this opens ok here in Gimp 2.8

--
rich (via gimpusers.com)

Re: Problem with TIFF images in GIMP 2.8

mauriciorubik
Francoism thank you. So, if the original image is in 12-bit depth and I want to resize it for example to 200% which commands I have to use for the best quality possible (I don't matter the time spent)

depth 8 or 16?

lanczos or mitchell?

force -quality 100?

Problem with TIFF images in GIMP 2.8

AndyJP
>Francoism thank you. So, if the original image is in 12-bit depth and I want
>to resize it for example to 200% which commands I have to use for the best
>quality possible (I don't matter the time spent)

>depth 8 or 16?

>lanczos or mitchell?

>force -quality 100?

You can use '-depth 16' which Gimp will open (and complain about) - it makes a 48 bit image rather than 24 bit.
In Gimp I use Lanczos for resizing but;

Again you will be better off asking the question in the IM forum - very clever people there.
http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/  in the 'users' section.

--
rich (via gimpusers.com)