Problem with Gimp file search feature

Paula Koval
My partner is using the latest release of Gimp and Windows 10.  I have no
idea of why this problem is taking place and since I am not an expert in
W-10 or Gimp, I am asking for help.

First, she finds a gif image that she wants to use with Gimp and she stores
in a file on the HDD of her system.  She then opens Gimp, goes to File,
clicks on Open, puts the name of the gif in Search, and has it search in
All Files, then tells it to Open.

The Gimp search facility runs and comes back with a result that she cannot
use because of the file extension that is added to the file name.  The
result comes back as    filename.gif.lnk  instead of what had been the
result until 24 hours ago, which was two results that appeared to be
related   filename.lnk and filename.gif   It was easy enough for her to
pick the     filename.gif   file because it was a result.  She is dyslexic
and has a difficult time looking at the listing of images in her images
file.

Can anyone please tell me how I can fix this problem for her?

Thank you for your consideration.

--

*"It's so nice to know so many nice people."*

*---Eddie Gallaher (1914-2003)     Radio Personality, Washington, DC
1947-2000*

Re: Problem with Gimp file search feature

Steve Kinney

On 04/24/2017 09:33 PM, Paula Koval wrote:

> My partner is using the latest release of Gimp and Windows 10.  I have no
> idea of why this problem is taking place and since I am not an expert in
> W-10 or Gimp, I am asking for help.
>
> First, she finds a gif image that she wants to use with Gimp and she stores
> in a file on the HDD of her system.  She then opens Gimp, goes to File,
> clicks on Open, puts the name of the gif in Search, and has it search in
> All Files, then tells it to Open.
>
> The Gimp search facility runs and comes back with a result that she cannot
> use because of the file extension that is added to the file name.  The
> result comes back as    filename.gif.lnk  instead of what had been the
> result until 24 hours ago, which was two results that appeared to be
> related   filename.lnk and filename.gif   It was easy enough for her to
> pick the     filename.gif   file because it was a result.  She is dyslexic
> and has a difficult time looking at the listing of images in her images
> file.

Why the .lnk files exist at all is a mystery to me; these are created
when one makes a "shortcut" pointing to a file that is (usually) located
in another directory.  Apparently Windows 10 is doing this automatically
for some reason?  If so there may be a way to disable it, then those
.lnk files won't present any more problems - although the existing ones
will remain.

I had never used the GIMP's file search tool before, but when I just
tried it out I noticed that the user selects which directory to search
in; since there's no reason for those .lnk files to exist, maybe more
than one of them is created in more than one directory, and maybe she is
looking in the wrong directory.  If she could create a directory just
for files she is working on, and search in only that directory, that
might be a solution.

I'm not sure about Windows 10, but "find as you type" has never worked
in previous versions of Windows Explorer; from Windows 98 though Windows
XP, it always searched only for the last letter typed, by looking at the
first letters of the file names in the directories.  If that /has/ been
fixed in Windows 10, she could open the directory where the file she
wants to open lives, type its name until it is automagically selected,
then drag and drop it to the GIMP canvas or toolbox to open it.  Or
right click and "open with" the GIMP.

The actual file search tool in Windows Explorer does work (as far as I
know, at least it used to), so she could use that to find the files she
wants, and drag and drop them to the GIMP.  Or, right-click the file
icon or thumbnail, and select open with > GIMP from the drop down menu.

Finding a file that has "gone missing" after being worked on the
previous day might be solved by doing File > Open > Recent in the GIMP.

Re: Problem with Gimp file search feature

Mark Morin-2
Using gimp 2.8 on the latest incarnation of Windows 10, I tried to use
the search feature in "File|Open."

1. I couldn't specify a path to search.

2. I got this error message: The program was not able to create a
connection to the indexer daemon.  Please make sure it is running.

My Windows indexing service is running. Does the gimp have it's own
indexer daemon? Could the *.gif.lnk file point to an entry in the index?

My preferred way to open a graphic is to use windows explorer to browse
to the file, right click and select "open with." gimp should be on the
list but if it isn't there are prompts to add it.

On 4/24/2017 10:31 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:

> On 04/24/2017 09:33 PM, Paula Koval wrote:
>> My partner is using the latest release of Gimp and Windows 10.  I have no
>> idea of why this problem is taking place and since I am not an expert in
>> W-10 or Gimp, I am asking for help.
>>
>> First, she finds a gif image that she wants to use with Gimp and she stores
>> in a file on the HDD of her system.  She then opens Gimp, goes to File,
>> clicks on Open, puts the name of the gif in Search, and has it search in
>> All Files, then tells it to Open.
>>
>> The Gimp search facility runs and comes back with a result that she cannot
>> use because of the file extension that is added to the file name.  The
>> result comes back as    filename.gif.lnk  instead of what had been the
>> result until 24 hours ago, which was two results that appeared to be
>> related   filename.lnk and filename.gif   It was easy enough for her to
>> pick the     filename.gif   file because it was a result.  She is dyslexic
>> and has a difficult time looking at the listing of images in her images
>> file.
> Why the .lnk files exist at all is a mystery to me; these are created
> when one makes a "shortcut" pointing to a file that is (usually) located
> in another directory.  Apparently Windows 10 is doing this automatically
> for some reason?  If so there may be a way to disable it, then those
> .lnk files won't present any more problems - although the existing ones
> will remain.
>
> I had never used the GIMP's file search tool before, but when I just
> tried it out I noticed that the user selects which directory to search
> in; since there's no reason for those .lnk files to exist, maybe more
> than one of them is created in more than one directory, and maybe she is
> looking in the wrong directory.  If she could create a directory just
> for files she is working on, and search in only that directory, that
> might be a solution.
>
> I'm not sure about Windows 10, but "find as you type" has never worked
> in previous versions of Windows Explorer; from Windows 98 though Windows
> XP, it always searched only for the last letter typed, by looking at the
> first letters of the file names in the directories.  If that /has/ been
> fixed in Windows 10, she could open the directory where the file she
> wants to open lives, type its name until it is automagically selected,
> then drag and drop it to the GIMP canvas or toolbox to open it.  Or
> right click and "open with" the GIMP.
>
> The actual file search tool in Windows Explorer does work (as far as I
> know, at least it used to), so she could use that to find the files she
> wants, and drag and drop them to the GIMP.  Or, right-click the file
> icon or thumbnail, and select open with > GIMP from the drop down menu.
>
> Finding a file that has "gone missing" after being worked on the
> previous day might be solved by doing File > Open > Recent in the GIMP.

Re: Problem with Gimp file search feature

Alec Burgess
On 2017-04-24 Mon 23:04, Mark Morin wrote:

> Using gimp 2.8 on the latest incarnation of Windows 10, I tried to use
> the search feature in "File|Open."
>
> 1. I couldn't specify a path to search.
>
> 2. I got this error message: The program was not able to create a
> connection to the indexer daemon.  Please make sure it is running.
>
> My Windows indexing service is running. Does the gimp have it's own
> indexer daemon? Could the *.gif.lnk file point to an entry in the index?
>
> My_*preferred way to open a graphic is to use windows explorer to browse
> to the file*_, right click and select "open with." gimp should be on the
> list but if it isn't there are prompts to add it.
A suggestion - use (free) Everything from www.voidtools.com - it will
instantly locate any file anywhere on your file system. As you can in
normal explorer you can right-click and get access to full explorer
context menu. Note: the "beta" version on voidtools.com is (IMO)
rock-solid and adds instant sorting (by column click) on any date column
- sometimes very useful.

--
Regards ... Alec

On 04/25/2017 02:06 AM, Alec Burgess wrote:

> On 2017-04-24 Mon 23:04, Mark Morin wrote:
>> Using gimp 2.8 on the latest incarnation of Windows 10, I tried to use
>> the search feature in "File|Open."
>>
>> 1. I couldn't specify a path to search.
>>
>> 2. I got this error message: The program was not able to create a
>> connection to the indexer daemon.  Please make sure it is running.
>>
>> My Windows indexing service is running. Does the gimp have it's own
>> indexer daemon? Could the *.gif.lnk file point to an entry in the index?
>>
>> My_*preferred way to open a graphic is to use windows explorer to browse
>> to the file*_, right click and select "open with." gimp should be on the
>> list but if it isn't there are prompts to add it.
> A suggestion - use (free) Everything from www.voidtools.com - it will
> instantly locate any file anywhere on your file system. As you can in
> normal explorer you can right-click and get access to full explorer
> context menu. Note: the "beta" version on voidtools.com is (IMO)
> rock-solid and adds instant sorting (by column click) on any date column
> - sometimes very useful.

Years ago I used Irfanview as an image file manager on a Windows XP
system with waaay to many images to keep track of otherwise, and it
worked very well.  Set the GIMP as default "editor" in Irfanview and
viola, instant easy access for editing.  Irfanview most likely remains
far superior to Microsoft's default image viewer.

I have always found the default behavior of Windows Explorer -
displaying thumbnails of image files instead of file type icons - very
annoying.  Opening a directory with a few hundred image files is like
stepping in glue - sit and wait while all those previews render, then
you can open the subdirectory you were headed for, wait for previews to
render there, etc.  This may have improved in later versions, or maybe
not.

Windows Explorer used to save all those thumbnails as files, creating
massive clutter in the file system; I wonder if the mystery .lnk files
mentioned above may have something to do with that process.  I have
found the "windows classic" User Interface option with image previews
turned off waaaay cleaner, faster, and easier to use than the various
"latest and greatest" default User Experience configurations.