Printing with GIMP

rich404
I am new to Gimp and I'm using Gimp 2.10 under Windows 10. I am very familiar
with Photoshop and other imaging programs. I am struggling with roll printing
with Gimp, and with getting a print size other that 8.5" X 11".

1:  I can't find the Print dialog described here - I just get the Windows 10
print dialog:  "https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/file-print-gtk.html"

2:  I can't find the print plugin mentioned here: "
https://www.gimp.org/docs/gimp-print/print.html"

3:  I can't make any roll parameters stick in the print dialog I do get.

4:  The only print size that ever comes out is 8.5" X 11".

What am I not doing that I should be doing?

--
JohnLarysz (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Printing with GIMP

rich404
>I am new to Gimp and I'm using Gimp 2.10 under Windows 10. I am very
>familiar with Photoshop and other imaging programs. I am struggling
>with roll printing with Gimp, and with getting a print size other that
>8.5" X 11".

The usual advice for printing from a Windows Gimp is, don't. Use some other
application for printing.

Gimp's origins are Unix and now developed in linux. Some things in Windows are
lacking and printing is one. The developers are volunteers and no one is there
to develop the old printing plugin.

Answers to your questions

>1:  I can't find the Print dialog described here - I just get the
>Windows 10 print dialog:
>"https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/file-print-gtk.html"

That print dialogue is linux, looks like this in my linux Gimp 2.10.6
https://i.imgur.com/IBA4A8Z.jpg

>2:  I can't find the print plugin mentioned here: "
>https://www.gimp.org/docs/gimp-print/print.html"

Ancient reference. That is a plugin, Gutenprint, again linux (and maybe Mac) My
installation: https://i.imgur.com/U0htF5y.jpg

>3:  I can't make any roll parameters stick in the print dialog I do
>get.
>
>4:  The only print size that ever comes out is 8.5" X 11".

The Gimp Windows print only calls up the printer manufactures software, that is
where the settings are. https://i.imgur.com/HrnPHb5.jpg

>What am I not doing that I should be doing?

Not doing anything wrong. Do not use Gimp for printing, use whatever image
editing software comes with the printer. Usually some cut-down stuff that will
open a png from Gimp.

Printing with GIMP

rich404
>The usual advice for printing from a Windows Gimp is, don't. Use some
>other application for printing.
>
>Gimp's origins are Unix and now developed in linux. Some things in
>Windows are lacking and printing is one. The developers are volunteers
>and no one is there to develop the old printing plugin.
>
>Answers to your questions
>That print dialogue is linux, looks like this in my linux Gimp 2.10.6
>https://i.imgur.com/IBA4A8Z.jpg
>Ancient reference. That is a plugin, Gutenprint, again linux (and
>maybe Mac) My installation: https://i.imgur.com/U0htF5y.jpg
>The Gimp Windows print only calls up the printer manufactures
>software, that is where the settings are.
>https://i.imgur.com/HrnPHb5.jpg
>Not doing anything wrong. Do not use Gimp for printing, use whatever
>image editing software comes with the printer. Usually some cut-down
>stuff that will open a png from Gimp.

Thanks. This is good advice - I was getting frustrated.

--
JohnLarysz (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)