Printing images to scale

Office TyAutDesigns
Hello, I have a 36" plotter printer. I take pdf Images and resize them so the men in our shop can use them as a template for product that we make. GIMP is great with resizing however when I go to print the images they aren't coming out to scale. I tried messing with the page setup and print options but nothing has been able to work. In the print options I go to image settings and there is a section that I can change image dimensions but it won't let me change them. Anybody have any ideas where I am going wrong? Thanks!

-        Priscilla

Re: Printing images to scale

Steve Kinney

On 10/10/2018 05:41 PM, Office TyAutDesigns wrote:
> Hello, I have a 36" plotter printer. I take pdf Images and resize them so the men in our shop can use them as a template for product that we make. GIMP is great with resizing however when I go to print the images they aren't coming out to scale. I tried messing with the page setup and print options but nothing has been able to work. In the print options I go to image settings and there is a section that I can change image dimensions but it won't let me change them. Anybody have any ideas where I am going wrong? Thanks!

The usual solution would be to export your finished image in JPG or PNG
format, depending on the required resolution:  JPG makes much smaller
files but introduces some noise; PNG makes larger files with no added
noise or loss of fine detail.

Then, import your finished image into a desktop publishing application
like Scribus (Free Software), set the page size and image dimensions
there, and export as PDF for printing.

This procedure should give very accurate results, although I would
suggest carefully measuring a test printout to assure that the printer
itself is not introducing any errors in scale or placement that would
require adjustment to compensate.

:o)

Re: Printing images to scale

On Wed, 2018-10-10 at 21:41 +0000, Office TyAutDesigns wrote:
> there is a section that I can change image dimensions but it won't
> let me change them. Anybody have any ideas where I am going wrong?

Not entirely - which Linux distribution are you using, and which GIMP
version exactly?

You could try setting the prnt size (from the image menu, Print Size)
and see if that works. You may have to create a custom page size for
your printer, depending on what print system you're using.

Liam

Click here to have the slave beaten.

Re: Printing images to scale

Robert Krawitz-2
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 19:14:44 -0400, Steve Kinney wrote:
> On 10/10/2018 05:41 PM, Office TyAutDesigns wrote:
>> Hello, I have a 36" plotter printer. I take pdf Images and resize them so the men in our shop can use them as a template for product that we make. GIMP is great with resizing however when I go to print the images they aren't coming out to scale. I tried messing with the page setup and print options but nothing has been able to work. In the print options I go to image settings and there is a section that I can change image dimensions but it won't let me change them. Anybody have any ideas where I am going wrong? Thanks!
>
> The usual solution would be to export your finished image in JPG or PNG
> format, depending on the required resolution:  JPG makes much smaller
> files but introduces some noise; PNG makes larger files with no added
> noise or loss of fine detail.

You could also try using the Gutenprint plugin, which allows you to
resize the image dimensions.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <[hidden email]>

***  MIT Engineers   A Proud Tradition   http://mitathletics.com  ***
Member of the League for Programming Freedom  --  http://ProgFree.org
Project lead for Gutenprint   --    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

--Eric Crampton