Printing 24" x 36"

Roundball
When printing engineering/architectural prints at 24" x 36" the prints show
pixelation around all of the lines.  I saved the image as .png at 300 DPI.

I use Staples for my printing and they turn the .png into a PDF before printing.

I'm curious if I should be exporting as s a .tiff or another file format.

And what resolution should I set?

Is the issue caused by transparency, RGB?

I've attached images of the prints that show the pixelation/artifacts.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/489/original/IMG_20170224_105240816.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/490/original/IMG_20170224_105248610.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/491/original/IMG_20170224_110838403.jpg

--
21stDigitalBoy (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Printing 24" x 36"

Rick Strong-2
In GIMP try 600 or 1200 dpi.
Otherwise, use a vector program like Inkscape (at 600 dpi) which can be
exported as a PDF.

Rick S.

Re: Printing 24" x 36"

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
You are aware that if you simply upscale an image to this ammount of
pixels (24'' x 36 '' at 300dpi => 7200px x 10800px)  you wn gain more
definition at the corners if you start with a low resolution image,
aren't you?

Also, the JPEG file format is no tmeant for file art, and it will
create the artifacts as they are shown - it is better for colored
pictures only .  Save your images as "png"  instead.

(Saving as JPG and afterwards converting them to PDF won't do - you
have to save as PNG from the program where you draw the lines, and
never transition them through the JPG file format)

On 24 February 2017 at 13:20, 21stDigitalBoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When printing engineering/architectural prints at 24" x 36" the prints show
> pixelation around all of the lines.  I saved the image as .png at 300 DPI.
>
> I use Staples for my printing and they turn the .png into a PDF before printing.
>
> I'm curious if I should be exporting as s a .tiff or another file format.
>
> And what resolution should I set?
>
> Is the issue caused by transparency, RGB?
>
> I've attached images of the prints that show the pixelation/artifacts.
>
> Attachments:
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/489/original/IMG_20170224_105240816.jpg
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/490/original/IMG_20170224_105248610.jpg
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/491/original/IMG_20170224_110838403.jpg
>
> --
> 21stDigitalBoy (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Printing 24" x 36"

Roundball
Ok thanks Rick.   I'll give 600 res a shot and also test with Inkscape.  I'm
hoping it is a raster vs. vector issue.  I believe AutoCAD is a vector based
program which is what I'm trying to imitate in terms of large prints.

--
21stDigitalBoy (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Printing 24" x 36"

Roundball
Problem Solved.  I developed the plan in Inkscape then exported as a PDF.
Also, opened the .svg file in GIMP and rendered a few of the circles as shrubs
and saved that as PDF as well.  Both printed with crisp lines and no pixelation
or artifacts.  Thanks Rick!