Plugin question: Is it appropriate for GIMP?

Plugin question: Is it appropriate for GIMP?

Developers mailing list
I want to create an editor that will allow users to ultimately create web forms.

I want to load an image of an existing paper form (.png / jpg / pdf )
and then draw objects over the image.
The objects would be Checkboxes, text fields, etc...  The kinds of
things that you would see on a Adobe Acrobat PDF with fillable fields.
The attributes would be position (x,y), text size, font, etc...
The position of the field/objects is critical, as they have to fit
over the existing paper form.

By creating objects in GIMP, they could be moved around to match the
underlying image and take advantage of the existing tools - snap to
grid, etc..

Finally, when all the objects are created, the user would generate the
corresponding html file, including the input fields.
Eg.
<input name="Pat_Nam" id="Pat_Nam" type="text" class="noborder"
style="position:absolute; left:428px;  top:28px; width:280px;
height:20px;" oscarDB=first_last_name >
<input name="HIN_No"  id="HIN_No"  type="text" class="noborder"
style="position:absolute; left:428px;  top:60px; width:143px;
height:20px;" oscarDB=hinc >

Why GIMP? The system I am writing this for is an Open Source EMR
(Electronic Medical Records) system and I don't want to reinvent the
wheel.  We have hundreds of these forms and need to constantly update
them.

All the other 'web form creation' tools like Orbeon are not completely
Open Source..

If you want to see the types of forms we need to generate, see the
following site:
https://worldoscar.org/?page_id=52

The probable first step would be to write something that would parse
existing html forms (we have lots) and create the objects in GIMP...

Does this seem doable?
If not, can you recommend another solution?

Thanks in advance...

Re: Plugin question: Is it appropriate for GIMP?

Developers mailing list
This is certainly a novel approach.

Personally, I would imagine that you'd realize a much greater benefit by
making these forms native HTML pages.  That is - re-building these forms as
actual HTML content.

Maintenance should be significantly easier, use should be easier, and
someone in the future will thank you for approaching things in a more
robust and manageable way.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 11:30 PM Earl Wertheimer via gimp-developer-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to create an editor that will allow users to ultimately create web
> forms.
>
> I want to load an image of an existing paper form (.png / jpg / pdf )
> and then draw objects over the image.
> The objects would be Checkboxes, text fields, etc...  The kinds of
> things that you would see on a Adobe Acrobat PDF with fillable fields.
> The attributes would be position (x,y), text size, font, etc...
> The position of the field/objects is critical, as they have to fit
> over the existing paper form.
>
> By creating objects in GIMP, they could be moved around to match the
> underlying image and take advantage of the existing tools - snap to
> grid, etc..
>
> Finally, when all the objects are created, the user would generate the
> corresponding html file, including the input fields.
> Eg.
> <input name="Pat_Nam" id="Pat_Nam" type="text" class="noborder"
> style="position:absolute; left:428px;  top:28px; width:280px;
> height:20px;" oscarDB=first_last_name >
> <input name="HIN_No"  id="HIN_No"  type="text" class="noborder"
> style="position:absolute; left:428px;  top:60px; width:143px;
> height:20px;" oscarDB=hinc >
>
> Why GIMP? The system I am writing this for is an Open Source EMR
> (Electronic Medical Records) system and I don't want to reinvent the
> wheel.  We have hundreds of these forms and need to constantly update
> them.
>
> All the other 'web form creation' tools like Orbeon are not completely
> Open Source..
>
> If you want to see the types of forms we need to generate, see the
> following site:
> https://worldoscar.org/?page_id=52
>
> The probable first step would be to write something that would parse
> existing html forms (we have lots) and create the objects in GIMP...
>
> Does this seem doable?
> If not, can you recommend another solution?
>
> Thanks in advance...

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

Re: Plugin question: Is it appropriate for GIMP?

Developers mailing list
Pat,
Thanks for the reply...

I _would_ be creating complete HTML pages, including the
<input name="Pat_Nam" id="Pat_Nam" type="text" class="noborder"
style="position:absolute; left:428px;  top:28px; width:280px;
height:20px;" oscarDB=first_last_name >
fields...

I mentioned the 'input' field particularly because they would
correspond to the fields objects created in GIMP.

There will be a place to enter or store the 'boilerplate' that we use.
eq. The CSS for the fields, various javascript routines,
Save/Print/Submit buttons, etc that we use...

The plugin should work both ways:
It should be able to parse an existing html web-form and display it in GIMP.

Almost all the forms we create use positioning  ( eg.
position:absolute; left:428px;  top:28px; width:280px; )
because we have to exactly match the existing paper forms...

--
"This will be the manner of the king that shall reign over you:...
And he will take your menservants, and your maidservants, and your

Re: Plugin question: Is it appropriate for GIMP?

On Wed, 2018-11-21 at 00:30 -0500, Earl Wertheimer via gimp-developer-
list wrote:
> I want to create an editor that will allow users to ultimately create
> web forms.

i'd probably do this in HTML with JavaScript and CSS - e.g. using CSS
grid and/or flexbox for layout. There's quite a lot out there already
that are GPL and/or OSS.

https://worldoscar.org/?page_id=52 points to some.

slave ankh

Click here to have the slave beaten.

list wrote:
> I want to create an editor that will allow users to ultimately create
> web forms.

i forgot to mention - i've also generated Web forms from XML templates
using a simple XSLT stylesheet in the past. Soemtimes you can then
generate the XML e.g. from a datbase schema or whatever.

slave

Click here to have the slave beaten.