'Pick a layer or guide' suggestion

Eric P-3
I have a handful of Gimp images that have 50+ layers.

With the move tool's 'Pick a layer or guide' selected, I can quickly
find where a particular layer is in the stack with a left click.
However, as soon as I let go of the mouse, I've lost where the layer is
as the selected layer switches back to the layer that was selected
prior.  Now I have to remember about how far down the layer, remember
the layer name and dig to find it so I can work on it.

Wouldn't it make sense to have the layer you've just picked in this
manner automatically become the selected layer?

Opinions please.

Eric P.

Re: 'Pick a layer or guide' suggestion

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
On Monday 16 May 2005 22:32, Eric P wrote:

> I have a handful of Gimp images that have 50+ layers.
>
> With the move tool's 'Pick a layer or guide' selected, I can
> quickly find where a particular layer is in the stack with a left
> click. However, as soon as I let go of the mouse, I've lost where
> the layer is as the selected layer switches back to the layer that
> was selected prior.  Now I have to remember about how far down the
> layer, remember the layer name and dig to find it so I can work on
> it.
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to have the layer you've just picked in this
> manner automatically become the selected layer?
>
> Opinions please.

Hi Eric!
What you describes was the default behaviour of the GIMP uyp to the
2.0 series.

When the new behavioyr was introduced, people perceived exactly what
you are asking for. Then, the old behaviour was made available via  a
setting in the preferences dialog (in the tool setting, I believe).

Regards,
        JS
        -><-

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

> On Monday 16 May 2005 22:32, Eric P wrote:
>
>>I have a handful of Gimp images that have 50+ layers.
>>
>>With the move tool's 'Pick a layer or guide' selected, I can
>>quickly find where a particular layer is in the stack with a left
>>click. However, as soon as I let go of the mouse, I've lost where
>>the layer is as the selected layer switches back to the layer that
>>was selected prior.  Now I have to remember about how far down the
>>layer, remember the layer name and dig to find it so I can work on
>>it.
>>
>>Wouldn't it make sense to have the layer you've just picked in this
>>manner automatically become the selected layer?
>>
>>Opinions please.
>

> Hi Eric!
> What you describes was the default behaviour of the GIMP uyp to the
> 2.0 series.
>
> When the new behavioyr was introduced, people perceived exactly what
> you are asking for. Then, the old behaviour was made available via  a
> setting in the preferences dialog (in the tool setting, I believe).

Hey Joao,

Hmm... all I see is 'Pick a layer or guide' and 'Move the current
layer'.  Neither of these do what I'm talking about.  Exactly what
preference are you referring to?

Thanks,
Eric P.

> Regards,
> JS
> -><-

Re: 'Pick a layer or guide' suggestion

Sven Neumann
Hi,

Eric P <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hmm... all I see is 'Pick a layer or guide' and 'Move the current
> layer'.  Neither of these do what I'm talking about.  Exactly what
> preference are you referring to?

What you are looking for is found in the Preferences dialog.

Sven