Pasted New Layer

Luthien
I created a png file, so the background is transparent. I then opened another
file, a jpg, to paste the png onto it. The problem is, it's in greyscale, when
the original is in colour. What's happened, and how do I solve it.

--
rob1955 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Pasted New Layer

Shlomi Fish
Hi Rob,

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 14:20:49 +0100
rob1955 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I created a png file, so the background is transparent. I then opened another
> file, a jpg, to paste the png onto it. The problem is, it's in greyscale, when
> the original is in colour. What's happened, and how do I solve it.

1. You should use .xcf for your gimp workflow, and import/export to different
formats at the final stages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCF_(file_format)

2. Can you upload / E-mail the problematic files?

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://ccmixter.org/files/destinazione_altrove/49997 - “Paint The Sky”

If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
    — Unknown

Pasted New Layer

Luthien
>Hi Rob,
>
>On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 14:20:49 +0100
>rob1955 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>1. You should use .xcf for your gimp workflow, and import/export to
>different
>formats at the final stages:
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCF_(file_format)
>
>2. Can you upload / E-mail the problematic files?
Thanks, but somehow, it's sorted itself out. I've done it like this before, with
no problems, so I don't know what the problem was. Closed Gimp down, and started
again, and it was fine. Confused.

--
rob1955 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Pasted New Layer

Luthien
>Thanks, but somehow, it's sorted itself out. I've done it like this
>before, with
>no problems, so I don't know what the problem was. Closed Gimp down,
>and started
>again, and it was fine. Confused.

You should still understand how things work.

All depends on the format of the image you paste **into**.

Paste (or open-as-layers is the same) a RGB image into a greyscale image and the
pasted in layer takes the properties of the greyscale image.

Often seen in the worst senario, a RGB image added to a limited colour, indexed
image and the user wonders why the colours are screwed up.