Painting on transparency

I seem not to be allowed to paint over transparencies.
I tried to lock/unlock transparency but theres no effect. I am able to paint
over  pixels either in lock or unlock mode, but I can only paint over
transparencies when they're not locked.

Your help is appreciated, thanks!

Gimp 2.8.22 in windows 10 pro 64 bits.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/604/original/img001.jpg

--
PixelPixie (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Painting on transparency

rich2005
>Hi,
>
>I seem not to be allowed to paint over transparencies.
>I tried to lock/unlock transparency but theres no effect. I am able to
>paint over  pixels either in lock or unlock mode, but I can only paint
>over transparencies when they're not locked.
>
>Your help is appreciated, thanks!
>
>Gimp 2.8.22 in windows 10 pro 64 bits.

You have the pixel lock on, which prevents painting on that layer.

The **alpha lock** prevents painting on the alpha channel but there is no
function to **only** paint on the transparent area but not the opaque (white)
area.

If you want to paint in that transparent area then a couple of ways

Draw a selection constraining to the required area. or

Make a new transparent layer under the base layer and paint on that.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Painting on transparency

rich2005

>If you want to paint in that transparent area then a couple of ways
>
>Draw a selection constraining to the required area. or
>
>Make a new transparent layer under the base layer and paint on that.

As usual I miss the obvious, if you just want to paint in that transparent area
then put the paint tool into behind mode.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/605/original/behind.jpg

Painting on transparency

rich2005
Quote:

>As usual I miss the obvious, if you just want to paint in that
>transparent area then put the paint tool into behind mode.

LOL (with all due respect)

Thank you, rich, your answer was all I was looking for.

But that raises another question (which you are free not to give me an answer):
what's the purpose of the buttons "Lock pixels" and "Lock transparency"?
Specially the first, if activating it "locks" pixels *and* transparencies?

Thank you again, anyway!! Wish I had discovered the utility of the Behind Mode
before, that would surely spare me some teeth gnarlings...!

PixelsPixie

--
PixelPixie (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)