PC Tablet

galette@tin.it
  Hallo List,
I've seen a lot of beautifull and amazing images created with Gimp. I also like to begin creating images but I'm wondering if you all use PC tablet. Or if it's necessary to use this instrument to make good works. I have an old pc table that doesn't work with winME so I'd have to buy  a new one......
I found hard to make precise selections with the mouse....
In the choosing of the pc Tablet what is it very important? Compatibility with Gimp and with the OS? Its dimension ( lenght X hight )?
Any suggestion?

thank you

Alessia

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: PC Tablet

Franco Zavatti
Hi Alessia,
you can use Gimp for windows with any (modern, from 98 +) version of
windows, no matter for hardware. If you decide to buy a tablet pc, I
agree with you, but for motivations other than Gimp.
I've now an Acer C112 Ti tabletpc (and have had before an Acer C102) and
Gimp runs fine there (my actual version is 2.2.3). A limited number of
works can gain something using the pencil, but you can draw anything
with mouse (apart your signature, may be).
If you need some information about tabletpc, you can link the site
http://www.tabletpc.it

Regards

Franco

Alessia Moretti wrote:

>   Hallo List,
> I've seen a lot of beautifull and amazing images created with Gimp. I also like to begin creating images but I'm wondering if you all use PC tablet. Or if it's necessary to use this instrument to make good works. I have an old pc table that doesn't work with winME so I'd have to buy  a new one......
> I found hard to make precise selections with the mouse....
> In the choosing of the pc Tablet what is it very important? Compatibility with Gimp and with the OS? Its dimension ( lenght X hight )?
> Any suggestion?
>
> thank you
>
> Alessia

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: PC Tablet

Tor Lillqvist
Franco Zavatti writes:
 > If you decide to buy a tablet pc, I
 > agree with you, but for motivations other than Gimp.

I don't think Alessia was talking about tablet PCs, but drawing
tablets.

I think the tablets that are most certain to work with GTK+ (and GIMP)
are Wacom's models (www.wacom.com). That is what Robert Ögren has, who
has fixed lots of tablet-related bugs in GTK+/Win32. There are open
bugs from users with other tablet brands.

I don't think tablet size is that important for GIMP use. But on the
other hand, the larger the tablet, the more precise positioning.

--tml

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: PC Tablet

galette@tin.it
Tor

>Franco Zavatti writes:
> > If you decide to buy a tablet pc, I
> > agree with you, but for motivations other than Gimp.
>
>I don't think Alessia was talking about tablet PCs, but drawing
>tablets.

 It's true, and excuse me for the mistake, I'm talking about Drawing Tablet ( PC tablet is the name  wroten on the case of my old drawing tablet)

If I've right understand the most compatible tablet is one of the Wacon model , isn't it?

Alessia

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: PC Tablet

ronaldw777
--- In [hidden email], "Alessia Moretti" <galette@t...>
wrote:

> Tor
>
> >Franco Zavatti writes:
> > > If you decide to buy a tablet pc, I
> > > agree with you, but for motivations other than Gimp.
> >
> >I don't think Alessia was talking about tablet PCs, but drawing
> >tablets.
> >

>  It's true, and excuse me for the mistake, I'm talking about Drawing
Tablet ( PC tablet is the name  wroten on the case of my old drawing
tablet)

> If I've right understand the most compatible tablet is one of the
Wacon model , isn't it?

> Alessia
>

> You may be interested to know that GIMP would not work on my Windows
XP system with the Wacom Graphire 2 tablet drivers installed
Ron Walker

ronaldw777 writes:
 > You may be interested to know that GIMP would not work on my Windows
 > XP system with the Wacom Graphire 2 tablet drivers installed

OK, good you mentioned that! I guess it's one of Wacom's Intuos range
of tablets that Robert uses?

--tml

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: PC Tablet

Robert Ögren
Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> ronaldw777 writes:
>  > You may be interested to know that GIMP would not work on my Windows
>  > XP system with the Wacom Graphire 2 tablet drivers installed
>
> OK, good you mentioned that! I guess it's one of Wacom's Intuos range
> of tablets that Robert uses?

Nope, I only have a small Wacom Graphire 3 tablet. It's simpler (i.e.
cheaper) than the Intuos'es - it doesn't support sensing tilt and
rotation, and the Windows driver is dumbed down (less configuration
settings). If I ever manage to resurrect my "graphical artist" "career"
I'll buy a better tablet (perhaps even a Wacom Cintiq), but the problem
right now is that I spend most of my spare time coding instead of drawing.

Note that the "bug report" above isn't very specific - did he use a
recent GTK+ version for example. The tablets I know there are problems
with are of Aiptek/Trust brand.

Robert

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: PC Tablet

Neil Turner
Robert ?gren wrote:

> Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> > ronaldw777 writes:
> >  > You may be interested to know that GIMP would not work on my Windows
> >  > XP system with the Wacom Graphire 2 tablet drivers installed
> >
> > OK, good you mentioned that! I guess it's one of Wacom's Intuos range
> > of tablets that Robert uses?
>
> Nope, I only have a small Wacom Graphire 3 tablet. It's simpler (i.e.
> cheaper) than the Intuos'es - it doesn't support sensing tilt and
> rotation, and the Windows driver is dumbed down (less configuration
> settings). If I ever manage to resurrect my "graphical artist" "career"
> I'll buy a better tablet (perhaps even a Wacom Cintiq), but the problem
> right now is that I spend most of my spare time coding instead of drawing.
>
> Note that the "bug report" above isn't very specific - did he use a
> recent GTK+ version for example. The tablets I know there are problems
> with are of Aiptek/Trust brand.
>
> Robert

For what it is worth I have a small Wacom USB tablet (model FT 0405
U0B). This works fine under XP SP2, with GTK 2.6.4 and Gimp 2.2.6. This
tablet supports both a pen and a wacom mouse.

Neil

--- In [hidden email], Neil Turner <gypsy_roadhog@y...>
wrote:
> Robert Ögren wrote:
>
> > Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> > > ronaldw777 writes:
> > >  > You may be interested to know that GIMP would not work on my
Windows
> > >  > XP system with the Wacom Graphire 2 tablet drivers installed
> > >
> > > OK, good you mentioned that! I guess it's one of Wacom's Intuos
range
> > > of tablets that Robert uses?
> >
> > Nope, I only have a small Wacom Graphire 3 tablet. It's simpler (i.e.
> > cheaper) than the Intuos'es - it doesn't support sensing tilt and
> > rotation, and the Windows driver is dumbed down (less configuration
> > settings). If I ever manage to resurrect my "graphical artist"
"career"
> > I'll buy a better tablet (perhaps even a Wacom Cintiq), but the
problem
> > right now is that I spend most of my spare time coding instead of
drawing.

> > Note that the "bug report" above isn't very specific - did he use a
> > recent GTK+ version for example. The tablets I know there are problems
> > with are of Aiptek/Trust brand.
> >
> > Robert
> >
> For what it is worth I have a small Wacom USB tablet (model FT 0405
> U0B). This works fine under XP SP2, with GTK 2.6.4 and Gimp 2.2.6. This
> tablet supports both a pen and a wacom mouse.
>
> Neil
>
> My bug report should have been more specific. I used GIMP 2.2.4 and
the trouble occurred with both GTK 2.2.14 and 2.6.
The programme loaded, but none of the tools would work.
Ron.