Open PDF at the right width and height

Luthien
Hello,

I'm trying to convert PDF to image with batch processing.
But I didn't find a way to choose pixel-width and pixel-height during the
opening of the PDF, as in interactive mode (window "import PDF").

Instead of that, Gimp automatically opens the PDF at 100% size AND 100 dpi.

For example :
My PDF is 7,84 x 11,69 inch, not rasterized and fully losless resizable.
As Gimp assumes that the PDF is at 100 dpi, the resulting image (opened with
"gimp_file_load") is 784 x 1169 pixels.

It's too low, because the PDF contains mainly small texts, not readable at 784 x
1169.

And the idea to use "gimp_image_scale" to increase the image size is not
relevant.
It makes heavier images but not more readable.
Once the image is rasterized, even with a good interpolation, you can't no more
increase the readability.

The plugin "file-pdf-load" neither have width/height or dpi parameters, so it
converts the PDF at the same small resolution (768 x 1169).

Could you help me to create large images from PDF by batch processing ?

Thank you - APL

--
YouNoOat (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Open PDF at the right width and height

Luthien
>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to convert PDF to image with batch processing.
>But I didn't find a way to choose pixel-width and pixel-height during
>the
>opening of the PDF, as in interactive mode (window "import PDF").
>
>Instead of that, Gimp automatically opens the PDF at 100% size AND 100
>dpi.
>
>For example :
>My PDF is 7,84 x 11,69 inch, not rasterized and fully losless
>resizable.
>As Gimp assumes that the PDF is at 100 dpi, the resulting image
>(opened with
>"gimp_file_load") is 784 x 1169 pixels.
>
>It's too low, because the PDF contains mainly small texts, not
>readable at 784 x
>1169.
>
>And the idea to use "gimp_image_scale" to increase the image size is
>not
>relevant.
>It makes heavier images but not more readable.
>Once the image is rasterized, even with a good interpolation, you
>can't no more
>increase the readability.
>
>The plugin "file-pdf-load" neither have width/height or dpi
>parameters, so it
>converts the PDF at the same small resolution (768 x 1169).
>
>Could you help me to create large images from PDF by batch processing
>?
>
>Thank you - APL

Did you ask this question on one of the Gimp forums recently, seems familiar.

However.

Do not use Gimp, use ImageMagick.

magick -density 300 infile.pdf -quality 100 outfile.png

and wrap that in a bash or batch file depending on OS.

Open PDF at the right width and height

Luthien
>Did you ask this question on one of the Gimp forums recently, seems
>familiar.
>
>However.
>
>Do not use Gimp, use ImageMagick.
>
>magick -density 300 infile.pdf -quality 100 outfile.png
>
>and wrap that in a bash or batch file depending on OS.

Thank you Rich404,

This was my first post on this issue. If it seems familiar, perhaps it's because
it worries many people.
Surprising that on this subject Image Magic is better than Gimp. Lot of
Developpers told me that Gimp have killed Image Magic ...
Anyway Thank you a lot for your acurate answer.

--
YouNoOat (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Open PDF at the right width and height

Luthien
Is there is any way to make this website https://www.surfessay.com/ saved as a
PDF and fix all its dimensions.

--
MaryBLewis (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Open PDF at the right width and height

On 13/03/2020 00:47, YouNoOat wrote:
> Surprising that on this subject Image Magic is better than Gimp. Lot of
> Developpers told me that Gimp have killed Image Magic ...

IM is designed for batch processing, Gimp is designed for single-shot
WYSIWYG image editing. They aren't even on the same battlefield.