Open / Edit Nikon D5500 NEF files ?

Users mailing list
 I have downloaded gimp 2.8 and am trying to access the RAW Files(NEF Nikon format) created in my Nikon D5500 camera.  However the files are not recognized by GIMP.  The files cannot be open.  My computer's operating system is Windows 10.  Is there a work around for this or do I have to purchase Lightroom 6.0 in order to open / edit my NEF files?
Chuck [hidden email]

Re: Open / Edit Nikon D5500 NEF files ?

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2017-06-11 10:54 PM, Chuck Devlin via gimp-user-list wrote:
>   I have downloaded gimp 2.8 and am trying to access the RAW Files(NEF Nikon format) created in my Nikon D5500 camera.  However the files are not recognized by GIMP.  The files cannot be open.  My computer's operating system is Windows 10.

You need to install the ufraw or dcraw plug-in for GIMP.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Open / Edit Nikon D5500 NEF files ?

Guy Stalnaker
I don't think GIMP can open either nef or nrw Nikon files. What you need is an app that does like RawTherapee (link for Windows at bottom):

https://www.partha.com

On the Linux platform there are plug-ins for GIMP for ufraw and dcraw that make it appear as if GIMP can open such files, but you're actually opening the raw file in those apps which handoff their output to gimp once raw conversion is done. I am unsure about a similar plug-in for RawTherapee/GIMP, so the work flow is open in RawTherapee, save as TIF, open in GIMP.

HTH

--
"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence."
? Aristotle

________________________________

Re: Open / Edit Nikon D5500 NEF files ?

Rick Strong-2
As much as I like GIMP, I recommend that you download the FREE Nikon NEF
editors: CaptureNX-D and ViewNX-i from the Nikon site.
Both are FREE and they work very nicely. You can then convert images to
JPEGs or 8- or 16-bit TIFFs.
Also very handy for downloading from your camera or a memory card.
No need for Lightroom.

Rick S.

Re: Open / Edit Nikon D5500 NEF files ?

Pat David
There's a few different option for raw processing without resorting to
proprietary software. RawTherapee, darktable, PhotoFlow, and others. We
keep a list here if you're interested:

https://pixls.us/software
On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 10:58 PM Rick Strong <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As much as I like GIMP, I recommend that you download the FREE Nikon NEF
> editors: CaptureNX-D and ViewNX-i from the Nikon site.
> Both are FREE and they work very nicely. You can then convert images to
> JPEGs or 8- or 16-bit TIFFs.
> Also very handy for downloading from your camera or a memory card.
> No need for Lightroom.
>
> Rick S.

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

Re: Open / Edit Nikon D5500 NEF files ?

Rick Strong-2
Nothing wrong with proprietary software. This is FREE.

I’m a professional graphic designer and amateur photographer.
I use what works and suits my purposes.
“Religion” plays no part in it.

Did I mention that CaptureNX-D and ViewNX-i are FREE?

Rick S.

Re: Open / Edit Nikon D5500 NEF files ?

Ofnuts-2
On 06/12/17 16:57, Rick Strong wrote:
> Nothing wrong with proprietary software. This is FREE.
>
> I’m a professional graphic designer and amateur photographer.
> I use what works and suits my purposes.
> “Religion” plays no part in it.
>
> Did I mention that CaptureNX-D and ViewNX-i are FREE?

They are free, but they tie you down. Do they support
Sigma/Tamron/Tokina lenses?