Offering help

Developers mailing list
Hello,

I’m Vrok, and I would like to help out with developing and introducing new features to GIMP. However, I don’t know where to start.

Any guidance on where to begin is welcome. Thank you.

Regards,
Vrok

Re: Offering help

Developers mailing list
Hello Vrok!

Our onboarding procedure could do with some improvement indeed :)

I guess the first step would be building GIMP from source code. We
typically do it n Linux with Mingw, but I know there's some work going
on to try doing this with MSYS2. At least that's my impression from
quick glances on our IRC channel.

As for actual development, we usually recommend accomplishing a simple
task that really excites you, something you want to see fixed in GIMP.
If all else fails, there's a 'Newcomers' label for issues that are
simple enough to get started contributing:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues?label_name%5B%5D=4.+Newcomers

Please don't hesitate asking questions :)

Alex

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 1:26 PM Tan Vrok Fei via gimp-developer-list
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m Vrok, and I would like to help out with developing and introducing new features to GIMP. However, I don’t know where to start.
>
> Any guidance on where to begin is welcome. Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Vrok

Re: Offering help

Developers mailing list
Hello!

So you are a Windows developer, Vrok? If so, awesome, it's really needed!

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 12:39 PM Alexandre Prokoudine via
gimp-developer-list <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Vrok!
>
> Our onboarding procedure could do with some improvement indeed :)
>
> I guess the first step would be building GIMP from source code. We
> typically do it n Linux with Mingw, but I know there's some work going
> on to try doing this with MSYS2. At least that's my impression from
> quick glances on our IRC channel.

Actually Wormnest (our current Windows dev boss!) says he builds from MSYS2
from Windows. The ones who cross-build from Linux are the Linux devs (like
myself!) who can't bother to set up a full development environment on
Windows. 😛

So yeah it should work with both methods.
Though building GIMP 2.10 natively from Windows is apparently a real pain
(because autotools are very slow natively on Windows), but master branch
with meson should be much easier. At least that's what I hear.

> As for actual development, we usually recommend accomplishing a simple
> task that really excites you, something you want to see fixed in GIMP.
> If all else fails, there's a 'Newcomers' label for issues that are
> simple enough to get started contributing:
>
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues?label_name%5B%5D=4.+Newcomers

Yes, the best is really if you find yourself issues you had with GIMP and
try to fix them. All current long-term GIMP developers started like this.
We encountered a bug and dealt with it. It can be something very basic. It
is much more enjoyable when you actually work for yourself than just for
the sake of it. 🙂

Also I would suggest to come and discuss on IRC (#gimp on irc.gimp.org).
This makes things more enjoyable for you than just dropping patches (at
least I think, personally).

Jehan

> Please don't hesitate asking questions :)
>
> Alex
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 1:26 PM Tan Vrok Fei via gimp-developer-list
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I’m Vrok, and I would like to help out with developing and introducing
> new features to GIMP. However, I don’t know where to start.
> >
> > Any guidance on where to begin is welcome. Thank you.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vrok
> >
> > Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
> Windows 10

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot

Re: Offering help

On Friday, October 9, 2020, 12:39:21, Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-developer-list wrote:

> I guess the first step would be building GIMP from source code. We
> typically do it n Linux with Mingw, but I know there's some work going
> on to try doing this with MSYS2. At least that's my impression from
> quick glances on our IRC channel.

The official Windows build is done on MSYS2.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< https://eternallybored.org/ >

Never play Poker with a player named Doc or Ace.
       -- Stein's Law of Cards