Offering help

With everything that is going on, I have found myself with a lot of free time and would like to help with development. I have experience in software engineering but have never worked on an open source project. Please let me know what I can do to help.

Brendan

Re: Offering help

Liam R E Quin
On Fri, 2020-06-19 at 17:39 +0000, Brendan via gimp-developer-list
wrote:
> Hi,
> With everything that is going on, I have found myself with a lot of
> free time and would like to help with development. I have experience
> in software engineering but have never worked on an open source
> project. Please let me know what I can do to help.

Best is to start by building gimp from source. If you run into
difficulties (this is not uncommon, don't worry) or if you succeed,
then find an IRC client and join irc.gnome.org in the #gimp channel
where the developers tend to be found.

Liam

--
Liam Quin - web slave fo https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Full-time slave in voluntary servitude.

Re: Offering help

Shlomi Fish
Hi Brendan!

Welcome aboard.

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 14:24:51 -0400
Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-06-19 at 17:39 +0000, Brendan via gimp-developer-list
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > With everything that is going on, I have found myself with a lot of
> > free time and would like to help with development. I have experience
> > in software engineering but have never worked on an open source
> > project. Please let me know what I can do to help.
>
> Best is to start by building gimp from source. If you run into
> difficulties (this is not uncommon, don't worry) or if you succeed,
> then find an IRC client and join irc.gnome.org in the #gimp channel
> where the developers tend to be found.
>
> Liam

Sounds like good advice and I'd like to note that I have created a tool to
automate part of that task:

https://metacpan.org/release/App-gimpgitbuild

I'd be happy to hear any success or failure stories with using it.

On a more general note, I have provided some guidance for people who wish to
become FOSS contributors here:

*
https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/open-source/how-to-start-contributing/

Good luck!

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://shlomifishswiki.branchable.com/Encourage_criticism_and_try_to_get_offended/

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
    — https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Julius_Caesar_%28play%29