[OT] Just received all posts since 16-Oct-2018

[OT] Just received all posts since 16-Oct-2018

Users mailing list

  This seems to happen sporadically.
  All messages sent to the list since 16-Oct-2018 were sent again. I
checked the mail headers; the ones I sampled have today's date
(5-Nov-2018) shown in the Received headers.
  What causes such a burst? Any way to prevent it?

--
James Moe
moe dot james at sohnen-moe dot com

Re: [OT] Just received all posts since 16-Oct-2018

Users mailing list
On 18-11-05 20:44:27, James Moe via gimp-user-list wrote:

>  This seems to happen sporadically.
>  All messages sent to the list since 16-Oct-2018 were sent again. I
>checked the mail headers; the ones I sampled have today's date
>(5-Nov-2018) shown in the Received headers.
>  What causes such a burst? Any way to prevent it?

I just had the same thing, and I think it's because the message are
moderated by hand, so they get done in batches.

Re: [OT] Just received all posts since 16-Oct-2018

Steve Kinney

On 11/6/18 2:46 AM, Ben Oliver via gimp-user-list wrote:

> On 18-11-05 20:44:27, James Moe via gimp-user-list wrote:
>>
>>  This seems to happen sporadically.
>>  All messages sent to the list since 16-Oct-2018 were sent again. I
>> checked the mail headers; the ones I sampled have today's date
>> (5-Nov-2018) shown in the Received headers.
>>  What causes such a burst? Any way to prevent it?
>>

> I just had the same thing, and I think it's because the message are
> moderated by hand, so they get done in batches.
I have not seen any batches of duplicate posts arriving here, just the
normal flow of the list, so all I can say is not everyone is affected by
whatever's going on.

I don't think the list is moderated; I've never heard it mentioned, and
my own posts usually show up within a minute or two.

:o/

On 18-11-06 14:48:02, Steve Kinney wrote:

>I don't think the list is moderated; I've never heard it mentioned, and
>my own posts usually show up within a minute or two.

I only say this because I actually asked the same question a while back
and got this answer:

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 08:39:25PM +0000, Ben Oliver via gimp-user-list wrote:

> On 18-11-06 14:48:02, Steve Kinney wrote:
> >

> > I don't think the list is moderated; I've never heard it mentioned, and
> > my own posts usually show up within a minute or two.
>
> I only say this because I actually asked the same question a while back and
> got this answer:
>
> > Some people post to this list without subscribing. This means the
> > mailing list administrator has to manually approve them. He does so
> > when he has time, so some messages are days old indeed.

Yesterday there was a spate of posts from gimpusers.com, the
earliest from mid-october.  And no, it was not a reposting of
everything.  I can notice this because I list my mailboxes in
date-sent order.

We are subscribed, so we don't need a moderator to have the time to
take pity on our posts.  But any post via that forum is effectively
from a non-subscriber, even if the forum itself might be subscribed.

ĸen
--
                        Is it about a bicycle ?

On 18-11-06 21:43:47, Ken Moffat via gimp-user-list wrote:
>We are subscribed, so we don't need a moderator to have the time to
>take pity on our posts.  But any post via that forum is effectively
>from a non-subscriber, even if the forum itself might be subscribed.
>
>ĸen

I don't feel that strongly on this, but I do sort of have to question
the logic of having the two merged.

The delay in getting forum posts quite often means that questions are
already answered before they even reach us.