No text input in file open dialog

Jürgen Weber
Working in Windows 10, I often select a file in Explorer, copy the file's
path to the clipboard and paste it into the file open dialog of an
application. I find it easier to navigate in Explorer than in file open
dialogs.

In the Gimp file open dialog, there is not text input, so I cannot paste a
file name. Why is this so?

Yes, there is drag'n'drop, but often I prefer text input. And you have to
drop files onto the tool bar, dropping on the image preview bar on the top
does not work, which I'd find more intuitive.

Thanks, Juergen

Re: No text input in file open dialog

Akkana Peck
Jürgen Weber writes:
> Working in Windows 10, I often select a file in Explorer, copy the file's
> path to the clipboard and paste it into the file open dialog of an
> application. I find it easier to navigate in Explorer than in file open
> dialogs.
>
> In the Gimp file open dialog, there is not text input, so I cannot paste a
> file name. Why is this so?

At least on Linux, if you type '/', a text input appears at the top
to let you type a file path, and you can paste into that. It's
possible that the key you have to type on Windows is different,
so if / doesn't work, try some other strings, maybe c: ?

For shell users, another option is to go to a terminal and run
gimp /path/to/file. It will open the file in your currently running
GIMP rather than starting another GIMP. That's how I open 90% of
images in GIMP: I can use shell autocomplete, I have control over
which directory it starts in, and it's much faster and more
effective than the current GTK File Open dialog.

        ...Akkana

On Fri, 2018-08-24 at 11:07 +0200, Jürgen Weber wrote:

> In the Gimp file open dialog, there is not text input,

You may find control-L gives you a text field.

Liam (slave ankh)

Re: No text input in file open dialog

Jürgen Weber
Hi Liam, thanks for the hint. Looks like in 2.10.6 <2106> Windows the file
open dialog is different, no buttons and no ctrl-L

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-file-open.html

Jürgen

Liam R. E. Quin <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa., 25. Aug. 2018,
20:19:

> On Fri, 2018-08-24 at 11:07 +0200, Jürgen Weber wrote:
> >

> > In the Gimp file open dialog, there is not text input,
> You may find control-L gives you a text field.
>
> Liam (slave ankh)
>

> --
> Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
>
> Information architecture consultant

Re: No text input in file open dialog

Instead of using drag-and-drop from Windows Explorer, consider right-clicking and checking out your context menu.  There's usually a command called "Open With..." that allows you to select a program for it (internally, it mostly just executes a shell command of appname /path/to/file ).  Depending on the file and your access level, you may also be able to register the desired application as the default handler for that filetype so you can simply double-click the file in the future.

-- Stratadrake
[hidden email]