No gimp-python in Debian (Testing)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No gimp-python in Debian (Testing)

Users mailing list
At some point after I first installed Debian (last year), the gimp-python package disappeared from Debian Testing.
I already had it, so never noticed...

I just did a clean install of Debian Testing LXQt, installed GIMP, moved over my Resynthesizer-based plugins,
and tried to use Heal Selection.

It complained about Python, and I remembered from the previous install that for some reason, gimp-python
was not automatically pulled in on Debian, and I had had to install it separately before Heal Selection would work.

So, now I opened up Synaptic and searched for "gimp" and then looked down the list for anything Python-related,
(not yet remembering the exact name), and didn't find anything that sounded right.
I did a google search to find the exact name, and returned to Synaptic, and IT WAS NOT THERE.

I now vaguely remembered reading something about Debian and Python...

Googling it now, I found:
https://bdmpublications.com/debian-ubuntu-remove-python-2-packages/
"Debian and Ubuntu to remove Python 2 packages
Python 2 is set to reach its end of life on January 1st 2020, a mere four months away now.
As such, Debian and ultimately Ubuntu will be looking to drop the current Python 2 packages in the next release cycle.

Debian 10 ‘Buster’ has recently been released, and will of course still be supporting Python 2 within its build.
However, with an eye to Debian 11, codenamed ‘Bullseye’, the team are going to be dropping the legacy Python 2 code
and instead focus on adopting Python 3 in the relevant core packages.
"
Debian Stable still has it (2.10.8-2), and I can see it depends on Python 2.7:
"dep: python
interactive high-level object-oriented language (Python2 version)
dep: python-gtk2 (>= 2.8.0)
Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set
dep: python2.7
Interactive high-level object-oriented language (version 2.7)
"

What if anything is being done to help people who use python plug-ins, and thus need gimp-python?

Should I assume that even if gimp moves to Python 3.x, that the various python plug-ins would have to be updated/re-written
to use Python 3.x?

For now, would an app-image contain within itself the gimp-python code that would allow Heal Selection and other python
plugins to function?

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No gimp-python in Debian (Testing)

Users mailing list
Update:

I tried to install gimp-python from my previous Debian install, and it failed with dependency issues:

scott@ASUS-Prime-B350M-A-CSM:~$ sudo dpkg -i /home/scott/Downloads/gimp-python_2.10.8-2+b1_amd64.deb                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
Selecting previously unselected package gimp-python.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
(Reading database ... 331569 files and directories currently installed.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Preparing to unpack .../gimp-python_2.10.8-2+b1_amd64.deb ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
Unpacking gimp-python (2.10.8-2+b1) ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gimp-python:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
 gimp-python depends on python:any.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
 gimp-python depends on python-gtk2 (>= 2.8.0); however:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
  Package python-gtk2 is not installed.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
dpkg: error processing package gimp-python (--install):                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
Errors were encountered while processing:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
 gimp-python

It wants python-gtk2, but...
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
scott@ASUS-Prime-B350M-A-CSM:~$ apt-cache policy python-gtk2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
python-gtk2:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
  Installed: (none)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  Candidate: (none)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  Version table:  

...that is also unavailable.

I then grabbed python-gtk2 from my previous Debian, and tried to install both:

scott@ASUS-Prime-B350M-A-CSM:~$ sudo dpkg -i /home/scott/Downloads/gimp-python_2.10.8-2+b1_amd64.deb /home/scott/Downloads/python-gtk2_2.24.0-6_amd64.deb                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
(Reading database ... 331612 files and directories currently installed.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Preparing to unpack .../gimp-python_2.10.8-2+b1_amd64.deb ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
Unpacking gimp-python (2.10.8-2+b1) over (2.10.8-2+b1) ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
Selecting previously unselected package python-gtk2.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
Preparing to unpack .../python-gtk2_2.24.0-6_amd64.deb ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
Unpacking python-gtk2 (2.24.0-6) ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gimp-python:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
 gimp-python depends on python:any.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
dpkg: error processing package gimp-python (--install):                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-gtk2:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
 python-gtk2 depends on python (<< 2.8); however:
  Package python is not installed.
 python-gtk2 depends on python (>= 2.7); however:
  Package python is not installed.
 python-gtk2 depends on python-numpy (>= 1:1.16.0~rc1); however:
  Package python-numpy is not installed.
 python-gtk2 depends on python-numpy-abi9; however:
  Package python-numpy-abi9 is not installed.
 python-gtk2 depends on python:any (>= 2.6.6-7~); however:
 python-gtk2 depends on python-cairo (>= 1.0.2-1.1); however:
  Package python-cairo is not installed.
 python-gtk2 depends on python-gobject-2 (>= 2.21.3); however:
  Package python-gobject-2 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package python-gtk2 (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 gimp-python
 python-gtk2


I note that gimp-python is part of the gimp source package.

Is gimp-python being upgraded to use python 3?
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No gimp-python in Debian (Testing)

Users mailing list
Do you have python installed? On my Ubuntu system the 'python' package is
2.7. All python 3 packages are called python3-something.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 3:54 PM Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Update:
>
> I tried to install gimp-python from my previous Debian install, and it
> failed with dependency issues:
>
> scott@ASUS-Prime-B350M-A-CSM:~$ sudo dpkg -i
> /home/scott/Downloads/gimp-python_2.10.8-2+b1_amd64.deb
>
>
>
>
> Selecting previously unselected package gimp-python.
>
>
>
>
>
> (Reading database ... 331569 files and directories currently installed.)
>
>
>
>
>
> Preparing to unpack .../gimp-python_2.10.8-2+b1_amd64.deb ...
>
>
>
>
>
> Unpacking gimp-python (2.10.8-2+b1) ...
>
>
>
>
>
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gimp-python:
>
>
>
>
>
>  gimp-python depends on python:any.
>
>
>
>
>
>  gimp-python depends on python-gtk2 (>= 2.8.0); however:
>
>
>
>
>
>   Package python-gtk2 is not installed.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> dpkg: error processing package gimp-python (--install):
>
>
>
>
>
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>
>
>
>
>
> Errors were encountered while processing:
>
>
>
>
>
>  gimp-python
>
> It wants python-gtk2, but...
>
> scott@ASUS-Prime-B350M-A-CSM:~$ apt-cache policy python-gtk2
>
>
>
>
>
> python-gtk2:
>
>
>
>
>
>   Installed: (none)
>
>
>
>
>
>   Candidate: (none)
>
>
>
>
>
>   Version table:
>
> ...that is also unavailable.
>
> I then grabbed python-gtk2 from my previous Debian, and tried to install
> both:
>
> scott@ASUS-Prime-B350M-A-CSM:~$ sudo dpkg -i
> /home/scott/Downloads/gimp-python_2.10.8-2+b1_amd64.deb
> /home/scott/Downloads/python-gtk2_2.24.0-6_amd64.deb
>
>
>
>
> (Reading database ... 331612 files and directories currently installed.)
>
>
>
>
>
> Preparing to unpack .../gimp-python_2.10.8-2+b1_amd64.deb ...
>
>
>
>
>
> Unpacking gimp-python (2.10.8-2+b1) over (2.10.8-2+b1) ...
>
>
>
>
>
> Selecting previously unselected package python-gtk2.
>
>
>
>
>
> Preparing to unpack .../python-gtk2_2.24.0-6_amd64.deb ...
>
>
>
>
>
> Unpacking python-gtk2 (2.24.0-6) ...
>
>
>
>
>
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gimp-python:
>
>
>
>
>
>  gimp-python depends on python:any.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> dpkg: error processing package gimp-python (--install):
>
>
>
>
>
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>
>
>
>
>
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-gtk2:
>
>
>
>
>
>  python-gtk2 depends on python (<< 2.8); however:
>   Package python is not installed.
>  python-gtk2 depends on python (>= 2.7); however:
>   Package python is not installed.
>  python-gtk2 depends on python-numpy (>= 1:1.16.0~rc1); however:
>   Package python-numpy is not installed.
>  python-gtk2 depends on python-numpy-abi9; however:
>   Package python-numpy-abi9 is not installed.
>  python-gtk2 depends on python:any (>= 2.6.6-7~); however:
>  python-gtk2 depends on python-cairo (>= 1.0.2-1.1); however:
>   Package python-cairo is not installed.
>  python-gtk2 depends on python-gobject-2 (>= 2.21.3); however:
>   Package python-gobject-2 is not installed.
>
> dpkg: error processing package python-gtk2 (--install):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> Errors were encountered while processing:
>  gimp-python
>  python-gtk2
>
>
> I note that gimp-python is part of the gimp source package.
>
> Is gimp-python being upgraded to use python 3?
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>


--
My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No gimp-python in Debian (Testing)

Users mailing list
In reply to this post by Users mailing list
>Do you have python installed? On my Ubuntu system the 'python' package is 2.7.
I had not.

The second dpkg call, where I attempted to install both gimp-python and python-gtk2 from my previous
debian install (in another partition), apparently left a record of its attempt, for when I called up synaptic
to see if python was installed, python and six or eight other python-related packages were already selected
for install to correct 'broken' packages.
Once I let it install them, I called the dpkg call again, and was successful.

Note that my success was only because I had my earlier debian install available to raid, and that the apt
package cache had not been cleaned out and the two packages were right there.

Someone who had newly come to debian testing or sid, or had erased his previous install when installing,
or who had been a good housekeeper and cleaned out his cached packages, would not have had the option
that was ultimately successful for me.

I assume gimp-python will have to be updated to use python3 at some point, or more and more people will
find that GIMP no longer will be able to run python plugins.
(I don't know if all, some or few of the plugins will have to be updated as well - if the Python API has changed
enough to be a problem for legacy Python apps/plugins, or not...)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No gimp-python in Debian (Testing)

Users mailing list
What distro are you using? python2.7 and the rest are available on Debian
10. I think it is an issue for the distro creators to address as all the
necessary packages exist in vanilla Debian.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 3:51 PM Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> >Do you have python installed? On my Ubuntu system the 'python' package is
> 2.7.
> I had not.
>
> The second dpkg call, where I attempted to install both gimp-python and
> python-gtk2 from my previous
> debian install (in another partition), apparently left a record of its
> attempt, for when I called up synaptic
> to see if python was installed, python and six or eight other
> python-related packages were already selected
> for install to correct 'broken' packages.
> Once I let it install them, I called the dpkg call again, and was
> successful.
>
> Note that my success was only because I had my earlier debian install
> available to raid, and that the apt
> package cache had not been cleaned out and the two packages were right
> there.
>
> Someone who had newly come to debian testing or sid, or had erased his
> previous install when installing,
> or who had been a good housekeeper and cleaned out his cached packages,
> would not have had the option
> that was ultimately successful for me.
>
> I assume gimp-python will have to be updated to use python3 at some point,
> or more and more people will
> find that GIMP no longer will be able to run python plugins.
> (I don't know if all, some or few of the plugins will have to be updated
> as well - if the Python API has changed
> enough to be a problem for legacy Python apps/plugins, or not...)
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email]
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>


--
My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No gimp-python in Debian (Testing)

Users mailing list
Scratch my previous replies.

There are two issues here. The first is to make python2.7 and friends,
including gimp-python, available in a system running testing. This could
perhaps be done by running a mixed stable/testing system. I've done this is
the past without major issues, but you'll need to set things like the
default release (APT::Default-Release "testing";) and other stuff.

Something like this is discussed here.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/60555/debian-is-it-possible-safe-to-install-packages-from-an-older-version-of-the-rep

The second issue is what happens when gimp-python *has* to be updated to
python3 some time in the future? Then all the python2.7 plugins will break.
Now the GIMP people do not supply the plugins and the best that they could
do is to publicise the change well in advance. Perhaps there could be two
gimp-pythons? There will still be plugins that don't get updated,
of course. There's nothing that the GIMP people can do about that.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 4:53 PM Cliff Pratt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What distro are you using? python2.7 and the rest are available on Debian
> 10. I think it is an issue for the distro creators to address as all the
> necessary packages exist in vanilla Debian.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 3:51 PM Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> >Do you have python installed? On my Ubuntu system the 'python' package
>> is 2.7.
>> I had not.
>>
>> The second dpkg call, where I attempted to install both gimp-python and
>> python-gtk2 from my previous
>> debian install (in another partition), apparently left a record of its
>> attempt, for when I called up synaptic
>> to see if python was installed, python and six or eight other
>> python-related packages were already selected
>> for install to correct 'broken' packages.
>> Once I let it install them, I called the dpkg call again, and was
>> successful.
>>
>> Note that my success was only because I had my earlier debian install
>> available to raid, and that the apt
>> package cache had not been cleaned out and the two packages were right
>> there.
>>
>> Someone who had newly come to debian testing or sid, or had erased his
>> previous install when installing,
>> or who had been a good housekeeper and cleaned out his cached packages,
>> would not have had the option
>> that was ultimately successful for me.
>>
>> I assume gimp-python will have to be updated to use python3 at some
>> point, or more and more people will
>> find that GIMP no longer will be able to run python plugins.
>> (I don't know if all, some or few of the plugins will have to be updated
>> as well - if the Python API has changed
>> enough to be a problem for legacy Python apps/plugins, or not...)
>> _______________________________________________
>> gimp-user-list mailing list
>> List address:    [hidden email]
>> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
>> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>>
>
>
> --
> My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
> My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
> My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt
>
>

--
My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list