New user question- fitting canvas to layers

New user question- fitting canvas to layers

carla
I added a new layer to my file and I tried to change the layer to image size to accommodate it but all I get is a transparent increase in the canvas size that only shows part of the image. How do i show the whole image? (please don't get technical on me- I have no idea what I'm doing!!) Also, I'm on a Mac.

Re: New user question- fitting canvas to layers

Pat David
If the layer size is larger than the canvas (image) size, you'll need to
increase the canvas size to fit your layers (hint: check the image menu -
https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-image-resize-to-layers.html).

It might help to be specific about what you've already tried.
On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 12:18 PM carla <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I added a new layer to my file and I tried to change the layer to image
> size
> to accommodate it but all I get is a transparent increase in the canvas
> size
> that only shows part of the image. How do i show the whole image? (please
> don't get technical on me- I have no idea what I'm doing!!) Also, I'm on a
> Mac.

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

Re: New user question- fitting canvas to layers

carla
Thanks Pat,
I tried that a bunch of times but absolutely nothing happens.

Re: New user question- fitting canvas to layers

Ofnuts-2
On 17/03/17 22:51, carla wrote:
> Thanks Pat,
> I tried that a bunch of times but absolutely nothing happens.

If you have done this after "Layer>Layer to image size" then the layer
has been cropped and "Image>Fit canvas to layers" won't to anything
since the layer is already the same size as the canvas.

If you zoom out so that the canvas does doesn't fill the whole window,
do you see the layer boundary (dotted line) outside of the canvas?

Re: New user question- fitting canvas to layers

Richard Gitschlag
A small statusbar notification to this effect could be convenient to have ... it's always a little confusing when a specific operation performs apparently nothing and then you have to figure out why.

If you have done this after "Layer>Layer to image size" then the layer
has been cropped and "Image>Fit canvas to layers" won't to anything
since the layer is already the same size as the canvas.

-- Stratadrake