New image too large?

rich404
Hello. I have only just installed Gimp and the first thing that happens is when
I try to open a new image at say, 24 inches x 20 inches with a resolution of
300ppi is get a message saying ' You are trying to create an image with a size
of 1.6 Gb' and goes on to tell me that this image size exceeds the maximum
allowable. I can't work out how a blank image area of these dimensions amounts
to anything bigger than about 123Mb., as the same space shows up as in
Photoshop. Am I doing something wrong here?

--
Eoraptor (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: New image too large?

Ofnuts-2
On 7/11/19 10:45 AM, Eoraptor wrote:
> Hello. I have only just installed Gimp and the first thing that happens is when
> I try to open a new image at say, 24 inches x 20 inches with a resolution of
> 300ppi is get a message saying ' You are trying to create an image with a size
> of 1.6 Gb' and goes on to tell me that this image size exceeds the maximum
> allowable. I can't work out how a blank image area of these dimensions amounts
> to anything bigger than about 123Mb., as the same space shows up as in
> Photoshop. Am I doing something wrong here?

So you have 43MPx, and the 123MB assume 3bytes/pixels for a single
layer., But Gimp will have the layer, the displayed image (compositing
of existing layers, the previous vesion of the layer...) so you there is
a multiplication factor your for your initial layer. When you do this,
you image is around 400MB with the usual 8-bits/channel precision.

But you get over 1GB because in your advanced options your image is
32-bit floating- point, so this is 4 bytes per channel, instead of 1.

New image too large?

>Hello. I have only just installed Gimp and the first thing that
>happens is when I try to open a new image at say, 24 inches x 20
>inches with a resolution of 300ppi is get a message saying ' You are
>trying to create an image with a size of 1.6 Gb' and goes on to tell
>me that this image size exceeds the maximum allowable. I can't work
>out how a blank image area of these dimensions amounts to anything
>bigger than about 123Mb., as the same space shows up as in Photoshop.
>Am I doing something wrong here?

It is because the image in Gimp memory is more than just the bare RGB (3 x 8
bit) value for the number of pixels. There is an undo stack , channels..etc
even with a newly opened image. Similar sort of discussion here:

https://www.gimpusers.com/mailmsg.php?48bbb62c-f743-2281-0e7b-64fa3642c752%40ninedegreesbelow.com

The warning is just advice, you could adjust the limit in preferences (I just
ignore it)

New image too large?

rich404
>It is because the image in Gimp memory is more than just the bare RGB
>(3 x 8 bit) value for the number of pixels. There is an undo stack ,
>channels..etc  even with a newly opened image. Similar sort of
>discussion here:
>
>https://www.gimpusers.com/mailmsg.php?48bbb62c-f743-2281-0e7b-64fa3642c752%40ninedegreesbelow.com
>
>The warning is just advice, you could adjust the limit in preferences
>(I just ignore it)

Thanks for your reply. Looking at the other thread that you pasted here, I see
I'm out of my depth. I'm only a dumb artist and don't have a lot of tech savvy,
usually flying by the seat of my pants. The main point that you made, if I
understand it, is that Gimp makes an assumption that I'm going to use a lot more
data than I necessarily intend to, what with layers, stacks, etc. and that I
don't really have to take the size warning too seriously, am I right? I do
notice that it still allows me to open the image space. My only worry is that if
I go to save a file that it says is outside its size limitations, am I going to
have a problem?

--
Eoraptor (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

New image too large?

rich404
>Thanks for your reply. Looking at the other thread that you pasted
>here, I see I'm out of my depth. I'm only a dumb artist and don't have
>a lot of tech savvy, usually flying by the seat of my pants. The main
>point that you made, if I understand it, is that Gimp makes an
>assumption that I'm going to use a lot more data than I necessarily
>intend to, what with layers, stacks, etc. and that I don't really have
>to take the size warning too seriously, am I right? I do notice that
>it still allows me to open the image space. My only worry is that if I
>go to save a file that it says is outside its size limitations, am I
>going to have a problem?

You always need to be careful with large Gimp / very-many-layers images.  The
usual advice for any application. Make frequent backups,. no automatic back-up
in Gimp at the moment, so it is up to you to Save-As at intervals.

I have seen horror stories about work lost. Sometimes wonder though. A hurried
save - close Gimp - shut down.  When saving there is a progress indication
bottom of the main window. Give Gimp time to Save.

New image too large?

rich404
I should have added

What gets saved with your .xcf file?

No undo levels. They are only there per-session. Although if you crash Gimp,
there might be a recovery available.

Layers,  Layer Masks, channels, selections, paths, guides, grid settings, meta
data, all saved with the .xcf.

The (extra) compressed version(s) .xcfgz / .xcfbz2 / xcfxz all open straight up
with Gimp just take a bit longer. to save / load.

Re: New image too large?

On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 12:40 +0200, Eoraptor wrote:
> Gimp makes an assumption that I'm going to use
> a lot more data than I necessarily intend to, what with layers,
> stacks, etc. and that I don't really have to take the size warning
> too seriously, am I right?

GIMP has a really small default for warning people they are about to
make a large image - just ignore it. You can change the warning in
preferences.

I work on pretty much a daily basis with images of the memory size you
mention.  GIMP works fine.

Normally i work with a single layer. One of the "window-Dockable
Dialogues" is "Undo History"; at the bottom right of the dock
(dialogue) that you get in Indo History is a button that lets you throw
away the undo history so far. This saves a ton of memory, expecially
after any operation that affects the whole image, such as Curves.

You will not have a problem saving this file - as long as you have disk
space :)

Liam (slave ankh)

Click here to have the slave beaten.

Re: New image too large?

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2019-07-11 8:12 a.m., rich404 wrote:
> I have seen horror stories about work lost. Sometimes wonder though. A hurried
> save - close Gimp - shut down.  When saving there is a progress indication
> bottom of the main window. Give Gimp time to Save.

I would expect GIMP to delay program exit until any save that is in progress
has completed.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick

New image too large?

>I should have added
>
>What gets saved with your .xcf file?
>
>No undo levels. They are only there per-session. Although if you crash
>Gimp, there might be a recovery available.
>
>Layers,  Layer Masks, channels, selections, paths, guides, grid
>settings, meta data, all saved with the .xcf.
>
>The (extra) compressed version(s) .xcfgz / .xcfbz2 / xcfxz all open
>straight up with Gimp just take a bit longer. to save / load.

Thanks for your replies, Rich404. I haven't done any work to save yet. I've come
straight in from my old Photshop 7.0,  which doesn't seem to want to work
properly any more and I didn't feel like subscribing or forking out $700 plus
for a new one, so I thought I'd give Gimp a try and am feeling my way. I'm not
used to the native format of Gimp (.xcf, etc.) and am not familiar with their
properties, so I  guess I'll just have to play it by ear. I increased the
allowable file size limit as you suggested and that allowed me to pass without
argument, so thanks for that tip. Thank you again for your help. It is much
appreciated.

--
Eoraptor (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)