New User Q - Insert Image X as Layer; then Move Outside Image X Original Border

New User Q - Insert Image X as Layer; then Move Outside Image X Original Border

rich2005
I inserted an image into GIMP as a layer.

Now it has this dotted line around it to indicate where the borders of the
original image is.

If I move the shape (the blue UNEWS logo) outside of this dotted line, it is cut
off from the dotted line (see below).

How can I move the image around without having this happen?

Thanks so much - I feel like an idiot but need to get this done quickly, and
cannot find anything via Google etc.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/522/original/Screen_Shot_2017-03-23_at_1.04.50_PM.png
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/523/original/Screen_Shot_2017-03-23_at_1.03.01_PM.png

--
rminkov (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

New User Q - Insert Image X as Layer; then Move Outside Image X Original Border

rich2005
Correction: Obviously, the images aren't below but to the right. First time on
this forum.

--
rminkov (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

New User Q - Insert Image X as Layer; then Move Outside Image X Original Border

>I inserted an image into GIMP as a layer.
>
>Now it has this dotted line around it to indicate where the borders of
>the original image is.
>
>If I move the shape (the blue UNEWS logo) outside of this dotted line,
>it is cut off from the dotted line (see below).
>
>How can I move the image around without having this happen?
>
>Thanks so much - I feel like an idiot but need to get this done
>quickly, and cannot find anything via Google etc.

The problem is the method.  Probably used to using some other application, but
full marks for using a Gimp xcf and  layers. A bit of a guess without the actual
xcf file.

Several ways to do this but it is worthwhile demonstrating why the cut-off.

1. This is your image reproduced. The yellow dotted line is the **layer**
boundary. Anything inside the boundary is visible. screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/TXk4squ.jpg

2. It looks like you tried a cut-and-paste then move the pasted section. Moving
outside the layer boundary cuts it off. http://i.imgur.com/XgKW8jU.jpg look at
the layers dialog. Do you have a 'floating' layer?

3. What you need to do is just move the layer. You need to use the **move** tool
and click on a solid part of the layer, otherwise the move tool seeks the next
solid  part, otherwise just enable **move the active layer**.
http://i.imgur.com/BWvMSII.jpg Click in the canvas and drag.

4. Alternative.

There can be good reasons for keeping the small layer size but if you want to
use cut-and-paste, resize the layer to canvas size first.

Layer menu -> Layer to Boundary size.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

New User Q - Insert Image X as Layer; then Move Outside Image X Original Border

rich2005
Ahh....typo...hate this mailing list format

>Layer menu -> Layer to Boundary size.

Should be Layer menu -> Layer to Image Size

rich: www.gimp-forum.net