Need to fit Jpg to a full Book Cover Canvas

Need to fit Jpg to a full Book Cover Canvas

rich404
Ok - sorry guys - I know how to scale an image - and even a canvas - but not
when working with layers

ISSUE - I have a template I downloaded from INGRAM - I can't change those
parameters - it has to stay -  OK fine ...

I did an Add Layer - and tried to put in my main photo as a layer - and when it
loads - only about 1/4 is visible and HUGE in relation to the transparent
template I have behind it ... when I change Scale  OR   Canvas - the template
just seems to get smaller and I still can't get my whole picture to show ...

I am about to just cry ....   I am a newbie - but AM good with the basics - and
have done some stuff in GIMP before ....   and I am good on computers .... but
this has me crying in my soup.

--
Metella (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Need to fit Jpg to a full Book Cover Canvas

rich404
>Ok - sorry guys - I know how to scale an image - and even a canvas -
>but not when working with layers
>
>ISSUE - I have a template I downloaded from INGRAM - I can't change
>those parameters - it has to stay -  OK fine ...

From what I understand of INGRAM they send a template as a PDF. No problem with
that except Gimp will always open a PDF with a default resolution of 100 ppi.
***Increase*** that to 300 ppi in the File -> Open dialogue.

Then, just good practice, use some guides Select -> Select all :  Image ->
Guides -> New Guides from selection : Kill the selection leaving the guides
Select -> None

screenshots of that: https://i.imgur.com/YOuUIiN.jpg

>I did an Add Layer - and tried to put in my main photo as a layer -
>and when it loads - only about 1/4 is visible and HUGE in relation to
>the transparent template I have behind it ... when I change Scale  OR
>Canvas - the template just seems to get smaller and I still can't get
>my whole picture to show ...

Do not do that: Take you image and File -> Open As New Layer. That centers thing
up and if over large you can see the layer boundary. With the image layer
active, use the scale tool, click in the canvas, pull the tool handles to match
the guides.

screenshots: https://i.imgur.com/mvkXaXA.jpg

Click the scale button and you are there: https://i.imgur.com/DSG0njg.jpg

>I am about to just cry ....   I am a newbie - but AM good with the
>basics - and have done some stuff in GIMP before ....   and I am good
>on computers .... but this has me crying in my soup.

not as much as this forum makes me want to cry

rich www.gimp-forum.net