Need help with jpg-cannot get it to work..

Need help with jpg-cannot get it to work..

Luthien
Hi,
Im hoping someone can help me. I have a color photo I need to turn into a
coloring book page.

Im using gimp 2.10.14

I have tried everything I can find about doing this with older versions of gimp
but when I use those directions they don't work as the menu has changed. There
doesn't seem to be any documentation on how to do this in this version. Can
anyone do me a favor and walk me thru this? When I try it the old way I just
wind up with black and white blobs.

I am starting with a color photo that is a jpg.
I turn it into greyscale.
I need to make a duplicate to work on.

now what? It needs to wind up a lined pic suitable to use as a coloring page.

Thanks so much!

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1360/original/kaia1.jpeg

--
theweblady (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Need help with jpg-cannot get it to work..

Rick Strong-2
Start by increasing the contrast of your colour photo.

Rick S.

Need help with jpg-cannot get it to work..

Luthien
Hi Rick,
I have never used gimp before-only photoshop so this is my first project with
it.
Plus there is no manual for this version so I have no instructions-
im feeling a bit like a fish out of water..
I have heard such great things about gimp but I am totally lost-
could you help with this and show me how to get it to look the way I need?

thanks!

>Start by increasing the contrast of your colour photo.
>
>Rick S.

Users mailing list
Can you be more specific about "turn into a coloring book page"?

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 10:12 PM theweblady <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
> I have never used gimp before-only photoshop so this is my first project
> with
> it.
> Plus there is no manual for this version so I have no instructions-
> im feeling a bit like a fish out of water..
> I have heard such great things about gimp but I am totally lost-
> could you help with this and show me how to get it to look the way I need?
>
> thanks!
>

> >Start by increasing the contrast of your colour photo.
> >
> >Rick S.

Hi there,
I need it to look like a better version of what I attached here-the original is
on my original question. I did this but its not done in gimp and its not exactly
what I want. Im looking to be able to turn a photo jpg into a coloring book
page-black and white outline of the pics so it can be colored-other versions of
gimp have instructions how to do it however they don't apply to this version and
things they refer to aren't even in this version. Im trying but feel totally
lost as I've only used photoshop before and never gimp but I've heard such great
things about it.
ill upload the one I was able to do so u get a better idea when u compare to the
original-

please let me know your thoughts-
thank you!

* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1364/original/kaia1.pdf.png

--
theweblady (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Need help with jpg-cannot get it to work..

Rick Strong-2
Hi weblady,

GIMP does have a learning curve so be gentle with yourself.
No, I can't show you what to do, especially not with a Tabby!
Sorry,

Rick S.

On Sat, 2020-02-15 at 02:47 +0100, theweblady wrote:

> I have tried everything I can find about doing this with older
> versions of gimp
> but when I use those directions they don't work as the menu has
> changed.

You can use the / command to find functions/meu items/plugins/actions
in GIMP, which sometimes helps (although it just does them, it doesn't
teach you where they are, unfortunately).

> https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1360/original/kaia1.jpeg

This is really not an easy photo to work with - there's lots of digital
camera noise and lots of grey everywhere.

I'd probaly make a new transparent layer and just draw the lines over
it, then delete the base layer. Or, use Inkscape and draw bezier
curves, but that's a little tricker to learn than just drawing with the
pen on the tablet.

slave liam

Click here to have the slave beaten.

Need help with jpg-cannot get it to work..

Luthien
I can change it to a person if that would be better-need to do same thing-turn
into a coloring book page-

>You can use the / command to find functions/meu items/plugins/actions
>in GIMP, which sometimes helps (although it just does them, it doesn't
>teach you where they are, unfortunately).
>This is really not an easy photo to work with - there's lots of
>digital
>camera noise and lots of grey everywhere.
>
>I'd probaly make a new transparent layer and just draw the lines over
>it, then delete the base layer. Or, use Inkscape and draw bezier
>curves, but that's a little tricker to learn than just drawing with
>the
>pen on the tablet.
>
>slave liam

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1367/original/gene2.jpg

--
theweblady (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Need help with jpg-cannot get it to work..

Luthien
This pic is closer to what I looking for but not exactly it-
any suggestions anyone?
and thank you everyone for your advice, help and kind words..it means a lot.. xx

* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1368/original/gene2.pdf.png

--
theweblady (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Need help with jpg-cannot get it to work..

Users mailing list
I took your cat image and tired to do what you wanted. See if this works
for you:

Open image in GIMP > Duplicate Layer > Desaturate Layer > Duplicate this BW
layer > Change mode to Dodge
Now you should see a completely blank screen. > Gaussian Blur (play with
the number - around 5 should do it ). You should see an outline of your
image.

Next use the levels (or curves) to adjust as needed. Next sharpen image.

This should get you started. Otherwise, let me know.