Multiple gtk installer for windows XP

laszlo-5
Hi!

I dont know where should I ask for this problem. (so sorry, if I ask at
the wrong place)

The problem is, that for windows there is several GTK installer packages

At the Gimp for windows site:
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

At Tor Lillqvist site:
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

At Glade for Windows site:
http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/

At the gaim site:
http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/index.php#wingtk

Since many application have invidual gtk installer or, is it already
packed with the software, I think it would be really good, to have one
installer for windows.

I think the best choice is at gladewin32 site, because there are two
different installer: one with glade and one without it (just gtk).

(Many application use libglade, and porting it to windows require glade
for win)

There is a possibility to avoiding this duplicating work? So having just
one installer for windows.

The other problem is, that these installers are incompatible one which
another. (cant update automatically. It must uninstall the older version
manually)

Best regards,
 Khiraly

Re: Multiple gtk installer for windows XP

Michael Schumacher
> I dont know where should I ask for this problem. (so sorry, if I ask at
> the wrong place)
>
> The problem is, that for windows there is several GTK installer packages
>
> At the Gimp for windows site:
> http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html
>
> At Tor Lillqvist site:
> http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

These can be considered to be the same. Tor doesn't distribute an installer,
BTW, and to be honest, I trust someone who has been hired by Novell to get
an GNOME app (Evolution) to Win32 more than any other source when it comes
to distributing developer files...

> At Glade for Windows site:
> http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/

Relatively new. How many people do use it? And is it really different from
what Tor distributes?

> At the gaim site:
> http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/index.php#wingtk

Well, I contacted the maintainer of this installer once. I gave up to
convince him after a short time...

> Since many application have invidual gtk installer or, is it already
> packed with the software, I think it would be really good, to have one
> installer for windows.

I hope this will happen when Evolution is ready for win32...

> The other problem is, that these installers are incompatible one which
> another. (cant update automatically. It must uninstall the older version
> manually)

This would be a nice short term goal. However, it became evident that the
incompatibilities are not limited to the installers - and making up
arbitrary version numbers, like some of them do, isn't going to help when a
user comes asking "Hey, why doesnt GIMP work with GTK+ 2.4 Revision A..."

+++ Lassen Sie Ihren Gedanken freien Lauf... z.B. per FreeSMS +++
GMX bietet bis zu 100 FreeSMS/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail

Macro recorder?

Jan Olof
Hello! I wonder if the macro recorder will be implemented soon in Gimp?
I guess that it would be good if it generates Scheme script code.

It would be very great if there was possible to use a macro on every
picture in the GAP image range.

Could I contribute in some way? I'm a college educated software
engineer.

    // Best Regards Jan-Olof Jansson

Re: Macro recorder?

Carol Spears
On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 08:51:03AM +0200, Jan Olof wrote:

> Hello! I wonder if the macro recorder will be implemented soon in Gimp?
> I guess that it would be good if it generates Scheme script code.
>
> It would be very great if there was possible to use a macro on every
> picture in the GAP image range.
>
> Could I contribute in some way? I'm a college educated software
> engineer.
>
>     // Best Regards Jan-Olof Jansson

i learned yesterday that gimp-gap installed this in my gimp.

there are also some similar things available in the gimp-perl module.
not everything that is included in the gimp-perl module gets registered
with TheGIMP.  it is probably scripts in need of updating.

i have not spent much time looking in the gimp-gap tree.

thanks,
carol

Re: Macro recorder?

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
On Thursday 19 May 2005 03:51, Jan Olof wrote:
> Hello! I wonder if the macro recorder will be implemented soon in
> Gimp? I guess that it would be good if it generates Scheme script
> code.
>
> It would be very great if there was possible to use a macro on
> every picture in the GAP image range.
>
> Could I contribute in some way? I'm a college educated software
> engineer.

So...

I think this subject could raise back on this list.

The last time it was discussed, we had some dependencies on the Undo
System for this to be implemented the Right Way (tm).

How is that doing today?

        JS
        -><-