Multiple command line args always use single window mode (2.10)?

Multiple command line args always use single window mode (2.10)?

Robert Krawitz-2
It appears that even if I uncheck single window mode, when I run

gimp *.tif

it always opens in single window mode.  Hopefully there's just a
setting I missed?
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <[hidden email]>

***  MIT Engineers   A Proud Tradition   http://mitathletics.com  ***
Member of the League for Programming Freedom  --  http://ProgFree.org
Project lead for Gutenprint   --    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

--Eric Crampton

Re: Multiple command line args always use single window mode (2.10)?

Robert Krawitz-2
On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 22:04:50 -0400 (EDT), Robert Krawitz wrote:
> It appears that even if I uncheck single window mode, when I run
>
> gimp *.tif
>
> it always opens in single window mode.  Hopefully there's just a
> setting I missed?

It's worse; it appears that whenever I start GIMP *period*, it's in
single window mode.

I don't like single window mode.  I just don't.  That's my final
answer.  It just doesn't fit my working style, which is to have lots
of windows open all over the place.  And I don't want tiled, either.
Again, personal preference.

But I cannot find a way to turn it off permanently.  I can uncheck
Windows->Single Window Mode, but the next time I start it, it's back
to single window mode.  I haven't found an option to disable it by
default either; hopefully I've just missed it?
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <[hidden email]>

***  MIT Engineers   A Proud Tradition   http://mitathletics.com  ***
Member of the League for Programming Freedom  --  http://ProgFree.org
Project lead for Gutenprint   --    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

--Eric Crampton

Re: Multiple command line args always use single window mode (2.10)?

Patrick Shanahan-3
* Robert Krawitz <[hidden email]> [11-08-18 21:26]:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 22:04:50 -0400 (EDT), Robert Krawitz wrote:
> > It appears that even if I uncheck single window mode, when I run
> >
> > gimp *.tif
> >
> > it always opens in single window mode.  Hopefully there's just a
> > setting I missed?
>
> It's worse; it appears that whenever I start GIMP *period*, it's in
> single window mode.
>
> I don't like single window mode.  I just don't.  That's my final
> answer.  It just doesn't fit my working style, which is to have lots
> of windows open all over the place.  And I don't want tiled, either.
> Again, personal preference.
>
> But I cannot find a way to turn it off permanently.  I can uncheck
> Windows->Single Window Mode, but the next time I start it, it's back
> to single window mode.  I haven't found an option to disable it by
> default either; hopefully I've just missed it?

fwiw: I don't either.  I just opened gimp.  it opened into single window
mode.  I unchecked "single window mode", closed and reopened and got
multiple window mode.

gimp-2.10.6-2.18.x86_64
opensuse Tumbleweed 20181107

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 22:02:08 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Robert Krawitz <[hidden email]> [11-08-18 21:26]:
>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 22:04:50 -0400 (EDT), Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> > It appears that even if I uncheck single window mode, when I run
>> >
>> > gimp *.tif
>> >
>> > it always opens in single window mode.  Hopefully there's just a
>> > setting I missed?
>>
>> It's worse; it appears that whenever I start GIMP *period*, it's in
>> single window mode.
>>
>> I don't like single window mode.  I just don't.  That's my final
>> answer.  It just doesn't fit my working style, which is to have lots
>> of windows open all over the place.  And I don't want tiled, either.
>> Again, personal preference.
>>
>> But I cannot find a way to turn it off permanently.  I can uncheck
>> Windows->Single Window Mode, but the next time I start it, it's back
>> to single window mode.  I haven't found an option to disable it by
>> default either; hopefully I've just missed it?
>
> fwiw: I don't either.  I just opened gimp.  it opened into single window
> mode.  I unchecked "single window mode", closed and reopened and got
> multiple window mode.

What happens if you run it as

gimp <filename>

?

> gimp-2.10.6-2.18.x86_64
> opensuse Tumbleweed 20181107

I'm using Leap 15.0, so probably built the same way.
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <[hidden email]>

***  MIT Engineers   A Proud Tradition   http://mitathletics.com  ***
Member of the League for Programming Freedom  --  http://ProgFree.org
Project lead for Gutenprint   --    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

--Eric Crampton

Re: Multiple command line args always use single window mode (2.10)?

Patrick Shanahan-3
* Robert Krawitz <[hidden email]> [11-08-18 22:12]:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 22:02:08 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Robert Krawitz <[hidden email]> [11-08-18 21:26]:

> >> It's worse; it appears that whenever I start GIMP *period*, it's in
> >> single window mode.
> >>
> >> I don't like single window mode.  I just don't.  That's my final
> >> answer.  It just doesn't fit my working style, which is to have lots
> >> of windows open all over the place.  And I don't want tiled, either.
> >> Again, personal preference.
> >>
> >> But I cannot find a way to turn it off permanently.  I can uncheck
> >> Windows->Single Window Mode, but the next time I start it, it's back
> >> to single window mode.  I haven't found an option to disable it by
> >> default either; hopefully I've just missed it?
> >
> > fwiw: I don't either.  I just opened gimp.  it opened into single window
> > mode.  I unchecked "single window mode", closed and reopened and got
> > multiple window mode.
>
> What happens if you run it as
>
> gimp <filename>
>
> ?
>
> > gimp-2.10.6-2.18.x86_64
> > opensuse Tumbleweed 20181107
>
> I'm using Leap 15.0, so probably built the same way.

gimp <filename>

still opens in multi-window mode.  perhaps you have a old configuration
lingering ???

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 22:16:07 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Robert Krawitz <[hidden email]> [11-08-18 22:12]:
>> On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 22:02:08 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>> > * Robert Krawitz <[hidden email]> [11-08-18 21:26]:

>> > fwiw: I don't either.  I just opened gimp.  it opened into single window
>> > mode.  I unchecked "single window mode", closed and reopened and got
>> > multiple window mode.
>>
>> What happens if you run it as
>>
>> gimp <filename>
>>
>> ?
>>
>> > gimp-2.10.6-2.18.x86_64
>> > opensuse Tumbleweed 20181107
>>
>> I'm using Leap 15.0, so probably built the same way.
>
> gimp <filename>
>
> still opens in multi-window mode.  perhaps you have a old configuration
> lingering ???

If so, it's not apparent where.  This is my ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/gimprc
(and that's where other GIMP config files live, such as printrc, which
I'm certain is the one being used here).

# GIMP gimprc
#
# This is your personal gimprc file.  Any variable defined in this file takes
# precedence over the value defined in the system-wide gimprc:
# /etc/gimp/2.0/gimprc
# Most values can be set within GIMP by changing some options in the
# Preferences dialog.

(tile-cache-size 8G)
(use-opencl yes)
(undo-levels 3)
(undo-size 3G)
(thumbnail-filesize-limit 2G)
(import-raw-plug-in "${gimp_plug_in_dir}/plug-ins/file-rawtherapee")
(monitor-xresolution 133.000000)
(monitor-yresolution 133.000000)
(monitor-resolution-from-windowing-system no)
(save-session-info no)
(restore-session no)
(max-new-image-size 8G)
(toolbox-foo-area yes)
(toolbox-image-area yes)
(color-profile-policy convert)
(selection-feather-radius 1.000000)
(fill-options
    (style solid)
    (antialias yes))
(stroke-options
    (style solid)
    (antialias yes)
    (method line)
    (width 6.000000)
    (unit pixels)
    (cap-style butt)
    (join-style miter)
    (miter-limit 10.000000)
    (dash-offset 0.000000)
    (dash-info 0)
    (emulate-brush-dynamics no))

# end of gimprc

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <[hidden email]>

***  MIT Engineers   A Proud Tradition   http://mitathletics.com  ***
Member of the League for Programming Freedom  --  http://ProgFree.org
Project lead for Gutenprint   --    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

--Eric Crampton

Re: Multiple command line args always use single window mode (2.10)?

Patrick Shanahan-3
* Robert Krawitz <[hidden email]> [11-08-18 22:28]:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 22:16:07 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Robert Krawitz <[hidden email]> [11-08-18 22:12]:

> >> What happens if you run it as
> >>
> >> gimp <filename>
> >>
> >> ?

> >> I'm using Leap 15.0, so probably built the same way.
> >
> > gimp <filename>
> >
> > still opens in multi-window mode.  perhaps you have a old configuration
> > lingering ???
>
> If so, it's not apparent where.  This is my ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/gimprc
> (and that's where other GIMP config files live, such as printrc, which
> I'm certain is the one being used here).
>
> # GIMP gimprc
> #
> # This is your personal gimprc file.  Any variable defined in this file takes
> # precedence over the value defined in the system-wide gimprc:
> # /etc/gimp/2.0/gimprc
> # Most values can be set within GIMP by changing some options in the
> # Preferences dialog.
>
> (tile-cache-size 8G)
> (use-opencl yes)
> (undo-levels 3)
> (undo-size 3G)
> (thumbnail-filesize-limit 2G)
> (import-raw-plug-in "${gimp_plug_in_dir}/plug-ins/file-rawtherapee")
> (monitor-xresolution 133.000000)
> (monitor-yresolution 133.000000)
> (monitor-resolution-from-windowing-system no)
> (save-session-info no)
> (restore-session no)
> (max-new-image-size 8G)
> (toolbox-foo-area yes)
> (toolbox-image-area yes)
> (color-profile-policy convert)
> (selection-feather-radius 1.000000)
> (fill-options
>     (style solid)
>     (antialias yes))
> (stroke-options
>     (style solid)
>     (antialias yes)
>     (method line)
>     (width 6.000000)
>     (unit pixels)
>     (cap-style butt)
>     (join-style miter)
>     (miter-limit 10.000000)
>     (dash-offset 0.000000)
>     (dash-info 0)
>     (emulate-brush-dynamics no))
>

> # end of gimprc

look at:
  ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/sessionrc
    (single-window-mode no)

nearly last line on my box.

Re: Multiple command line args always use single window mode (2.10)?

Patrick Shanahan-3
* Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> [11-08-18 22:31]:

> * Robert Krawitz <[hidden email]> [11-08-18 22:28]:
> > On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 22:16:07 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > > * Robert Krawitz <[hidden email]> [11-08-18 22:12]:

> > > gimp <filename>
> > >
> > > still opens in multi-window mode.  perhaps you have a old configuration
> > > lingering ???
> >
> > If so, it's not apparent where.  This is my ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/gimprc
> > (and that's where other GIMP config files live, such as printrc, which
> > I'm certain is the one being used here).
> >
> > # GIMP gimprc
> > #
> > # This is your personal gimprc file.  Any variable defined in this file takes
> > # precedence over the value defined in the system-wide gimprc:
> > # /etc/gimp/2.0/gimprc
> > # Most values can be set within GIMP by changing some options in the
> > # Preferences dialog.
> >
> > (tile-cache-size 8G)
> > (use-opencl yes)
> > (undo-levels 3)
> > (undo-size 3G)
> > (thumbnail-filesize-limit 2G)
> > (import-raw-plug-in "${gimp_plug_in_dir}/plug-ins/file-rawtherapee")
> > (monitor-xresolution 133.000000)
> > (monitor-yresolution 133.000000)
> > (monitor-resolution-from-windowing-system no)
> > (save-session-info no)
> > (restore-session no)
> > (max-new-image-size 8G)
> > (toolbox-foo-area yes)
> > (toolbox-image-area yes)
> > (color-profile-policy convert)
> > (selection-feather-radius 1.000000)
> > (fill-options
> >     (style solid)
> >     (antialias yes))
> > (stroke-options
> >     (style solid)
> >     (antialias yes)
> >     (method line)
> >     (width 6.000000)
> >     (unit pixels)
> >     (cap-style butt)
> >     (join-style miter)
> >     (miter-limit 10.000000)
> >     (dash-offset 0.000000)
> >     (dash-info 0)
> >     (emulate-brush-dynamics no))
> >

> > # end of gimprc
>
> look at:
>   ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/sessionrc
>     (single-window-mode no)
>
> nearly last line on my box.

and I have no idea why it is there rather than in gimprc

ps, you may define it system wide in /etc/gimp/2.0/sessionrc

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 22:31:31 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Robert Krawitz <[hidden email]> [11-08-18 22:28]:
>> # GIMP gimprc
>> #
>> # This is your personal gimprc file.  Any variable defined in this file takes
>> # precedence over the value defined in the system-wide gimprc:
>> # /etc/gimp/2.0/gimprc
>> # Most values can be set within GIMP by changing some options in the
>> # Preferences dialog.
>>
>> (save-session-info no)
>> (restore-session no)
>>
>> # end of gimprc
>
> look at:
>   ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/sessionrc
>     (single-window-mode no)
>
> nearly last line on my box.

That did it.

I'm guessing (too late in the evening for me to investigate) that what
happened is that I don't enable save window positions on exit, and
single/multiple window mode is treated as "window position", so that
setting never got saved.

(I start my window manager from a fixed session too.  However, there
are some exceptions; I build up so much state in my browser and emacs
that I really do need session saving, and I wish the xterm/bash
combination could do the same thing.  But I tend to use GIMP as a
one-off, so preserving state isn't very useful to me.)