Maximum new image size slightly different when trying to create a new large image

Maximum new image size slightly different when trying to create a new large image

Cristian Secară-2
Suppose I have the Maximum new image size set to 128 GiB. I try to create a new image with ridiculous size, say 21920×21080 px.

A popup message tells me that "You are trying to create an image with a size of 4,3 GB. An image of the chosen size will use more memory than what is configured as "Maximum new image size" in the Preferences dialog (currently 134,2 MB)."

The same happens if I set the maximum to 256 MiB -> the dialog says "... (currently 268,4 MB)."

Where from comes that difference in numbers ? Even if I calculate 256*1024 it gives 262144 (let alone that I see no reason for this)

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
https://www.secarica.ro

Re: Maximum new image size slightly different when trying to create a new large image

Developers mailing list
Le 27/10/2020 à 17:45, Cristian Secară a écrit :

> Suppose I have the Maximum new image size set to 128 GiB. I try to create a new image with ridiculous size, say 21920×21080 px.
>
> A popup message tells me that "You are trying to create an image with a size of 4,3 GB. An image of the chosen size will use more memory than what is configured as "Maximum new image size" in the Preferences dialog (currently 134,2 MB)."
>
> The same happens if I set the maximum to 256 MiB -> the dialog says "... (currently 268,4 MB)."
>
> Where from comes that difference in numbers ? Even if I calculate 256*1024 it gives 262144 (let alone that I see no reason for this)
>
> Cristi

You were on the right track with your multiplication. Notice how you
specified the maximum size in MiB but it is reported in MB, 1MiB =
1.048MB (1024 * 1024 / (1000 * 1000))

Thomas

Re: Maximum new image size slightly different when trying to create a new large image

Cristian Secară-2
În data de Tue, 27 Oct 2020 20:33:50 +0100, Thomas Ferrand via gimp-developer-list a scris:

> > Where from comes that difference in numbers ? Even if I calculate
> > 256*1024 it gives 262144 (let alone that I see no reason for this)
> >
> You were on the right track with your multiplication. Notice how you
> specified the maximum size in MiB but it is reported in MB, 1MiB =
> 1.048MB (1024 * 1024 / (1000 * 1000))

Yes, you are right. Thank you :)

Cristi

--