Quantcast

Making large prints

Karl22
Hello Folks, Downloaded this program , and I think it is an excellent program.
Never done much editing before, so im kinda lost.
Been reading through the manuals and cannot seem to find how to make large
prints.
Im wanting  to make a print that is bigger than my printer can make.
knowing that , i know there is a way to  print a large print and then piece it
together.
Im wanting to make a print that is the same size as my canvas that im painting
on.
I like to paint from photos, and i like my photos to be the same size as my
canvas
My canvas that im painting on is 20 by 16, so I like for my photos that i paint
from to be  the same size.
My printer of course is not a 24 inch printer, it is just a all in one Hp
printer. And can only print *8.5 by 11.5.
I know that you can print several pieces of a photo and then piece it together
as one photo with tape or glue.
So i will print several different images of a photo and then piece it together
as one , to paint from..

Can someone help a fellow out?
Thx
RobertC

--
RobertC (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Making large prints

Karl22
>Hello Folks, Downloaded this program , and I think it is an excellent
>program.
>Never done much editing before, so im kinda lost.
>Been reading through the manuals and cannot seem to find how to make
>large prints.
>Im wanting  to make a print that is bigger than my printer can make.
>knowing that , i know there is a way to  print a large print and then
>piece it together.
>Im wanting to make a print that is the same size as my canvas that im
>painting on.
>I like to paint from photos, and i like my photos to be the same size
>as my canvas
>My canvas that im painting on is 20 by 16, so I like for my photos
>that i paint from to be  the same size.
>My printer of course is not a 24 inch printer, it is just a all in one
>Hp printer. And can only print *8.5 by 11.5.
>I know that you can print several pieces of a photo and then piece it
>together as one photo with tape or glue.
>So i will print several different images of a photo and then piece it
>together as one , to paint from..
>
>Can someone help a fellow out?
>Thx
>RobertC

There are a few ways you can do this. Your preferred size 16"x20" fits in quite
well with US letter 8.5"x11" - gives 4 images with some margins.

Make a new canvas 16"x20" @ 100 ppi This is assuming that you do not need high
quality for your crib sheet.

Use Image -> Guides -> New Guide (by percent) one Vertical 50% and repeat for
one horizontal at 50%

That should get something like this without the gray patch which is equivalent
to a sheet of US Paper. screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/yThs1Hg.jpg

Example gimp .xcf attached Using 20x16?You will need to rotate it 90 deg.

Open your photo as a new layer: File -> Open As Layers

Scale it up or down to fit: Layer -> Scale Layer  screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/sJhL0su.jpg

Once happy with the scaling use: Image -> Transform -> Guillotine This creates 4
new images cut along the guides. screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/JIHTIqh.jpg

Printing in Windows from Gimp is often fraught with problems. This was linux
which has a better interface. My advice export your 4 images (png or jpg) then
open in some other application and print from there.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/544/original/16x20-100ppi.xcf

Making large prints

Karl22
>There are a few ways you can do this. Your preferred size 16"x20" fits
>in quite well with US letter 8.5"x11" - gives 4 images with some
>margins.
>
>Make a new canvas 16"x20" @ 100 ppi This is assuming that you do not
>need high quality for your crib sheet.
>
>Use Image -> Guides -> New Guide (by percent) one Vertical 50% and
>repeat for one horizontal at 50%
>
>That should get something like this without the gray patch which is
>equivalent to a sheet of US Paper. screenshot:
>http://i.imgur.com/yThs1Hg.jpg
>
>Example gimp .xcf attached Using 20x16?You will need to rotate it 90
>deg.
>
>Open your photo as a new layer: File -> Open As Layers
>
>Scale it up or down to fit: Layer -> Scale Layer  screenshot:
>http://i.imgur.com/sJhL0su.jpg
>
>Once happy with the scaling use: Image -> Transform -> Guillotine This
>creates 4 new images cut along the guides. screenshot:
>http://i.imgur.com/JIHTIqh.jpg
>
>Printing in Windows from Gimp is often fraught with problems. This was
>linux which has a better interface. My advice export your 4 images
>(png or jpg) then open in some other application and print from there.

Thank you so much for that info, it helped out tremendously.
your instructions were right on.

Got it all printed out and stitched up.
Thanks again..........RobertC

--