Quantcast

Make a text layer with semi-transparent background?

Make a text layer with semi-transparent background?

oneaty
I wish to place a text layer with a semi-transparent background on a photo so
it'll stand out on the somewhat cluttered photo.

I expect this is easy, but I'm not getting how to put the steps together in the
correct order. I think I'm stuck at making text layer's transparent background
semi-transparent.

I'll be very grateful for any assistance!

..Bill..

--
billlee (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Make a text layer with semi-transparent background?

Ofnuts-2
On 10/02/17 20:34, billlee wrote:

> I wish to place a text layer with a semi-transparent background on a photo so
> it'll stand out on the somewhat cluttered photo.
>
> I expect this is easy, but I'm not getting how to put the steps together in the
> correct order. I think I'm stuck at making text layer's transparent background
> semi-transparent.
>
> I'll be very grateful for any assistance!
>
> ..Bill..

What you want to be semi-transparent doesn't need to be the text
background(*). It can be any layer. So just add a transparent layer,
move it behind the text layer, make a (rectangular or else) selection,
and bucket-fill the selection (with white or some other color), then use
the opacity slider at the top of the layers list to reduce the opacity.

http://imgur.com/2i3pqom.jpg

(*) It isn't even a good idea, because the text layer is usually a tight
fit on the sides  with big top and bottom margins. You likely want
something more balanced.

Make a text layer with semi-transparent background?

oneaty
Perfect!

As usual, what I couldn't work out is actually very easy!

Thank you very much!!

--
billlee (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)