Make GIMP my External Photo Editor

Users mailing list
Hello,
I've been using GIMP for a long time, and I'm very happy with how it works.
I do stop motion animation, and I use GIMP to edit photos. I recently tried
a feature on my animation program saying "Edit with an External Editor",
and I clicked on it, but it brought me to Adobe Photoshop. Basically, I
wanted to see if anyone knew how to set GIMP as my External Editor for
Windows. Thanks for your help!

Zach

Re: Make GIMP my External Photo Editor

Steve Kinney

On 09/05/2018 06:17 PM, Grandview Workshop via gimp-user-list wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been using GIMP for a long time, and I'm very happy with how it works.
> I do stop motion animation, and I use GIMP to edit photos. I recently tried
> a feature on my animation program saying "Edit with an External Editor",
> and I clicked on it, but it brought me to Adobe Photoshop. Basically, I
> wanted to see if anyone knew how to set GIMP as my External Editor for
> Windows. Thanks for your help!

There may be an option to set the external photo editor in your
animation program's configuration menus - I would dig in there first.
You might have to give it the full path to the GIMP executable.

Alternately, if you need to change the default image editor set in
Windows, "simply edit the Windows Registry."  :D

But seriously, I have no way to test it (Linux Mint FTW) but this looks
like it might work:

https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-easily-change-windows-10-default-photo-editor

:o)