Lowering or redirecting Gnome logging

Christopher Howard-2
Hi, I have a Gnome 3 desktop running on Debian Jessie.
My /var/log/messages keeps blowing up to over 8 GB. When I study the
log, it looks like about 95% of the messages are Gnome debugging
messages. A lot of that 95% are debug messages from various apps using
glib or gtk, and a lot of it is Gnome Shell warnings repeated thousands
of times.

I've heard of ways to put a limit on the log size, but what I really
want to do is reduce a lot of that Gnome debug "clutter" so only the
smaller set of important messages are in the log. Is there some global
Gnome option somewhere that reduces the logging level for all
Gnome-based programs? That would be the ideal solution, I think.
Alternatively, if I could figure out an easy way to redirect those Gnome
messages elsewhere, that might be sufficient.

--
Christopher Howard
Computer Assistant

Re: Lowering or redirecting Gnome logging

Carol Spears-2
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Christopher Howard <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I have a Gnome 3 desktop running on Debian Jessie.
> My /var/log/messages keeps blowing up to over 8 GB. When I study the
> log, it looks like about 95% of the messages are Gnome debugging
> messages. A lot of that 95% are debug messages from various apps using
> glib or gtk, and a lot of it is Gnome Shell warnings repeated thousands
> of times.
>
> I've heard of ways to put a limit on the log size, but what I really
> want to do is reduce a lot of that Gnome debug "clutter" so only the
> smaller set of important messages are in the log. Is there some global
> Gnome option somewhere that reduces the logging level for all
> Gnome-based programs? That would be the ideal solution, I think.
> Alternatively, if I could figure out an easy way to redirect those Gnome
> messages elsewhere, that might be sufficient.
>
>  Are you *sure* it's gnome?  Perhaps you need to reinstall but this time
not choose the software with '-dbg' in its name.

Maybe, the messages have already been redirected and the kernel is getting
a lot more chatter than it needs.

Good luck with that!  Opening things up in a terminal emulator might direct
the messages to you to read.

Carol