Quantcast

Locking layers won't work.

oneaty
I'm new to gimp. No matter how many times I try...the lock pixels and lock alpha
channels options will not work.

I would like layers completely locked so as to not accidentally move them. I am
a veteran photoshop user and this is a very easy thing to do...but for the life
of me I can't get gimp to lock down anything. I have seen tutorials and read
articles and I'm doing exactly what it says but can still select and move layers
even though I chose to lock them.

Any ideas on what's going on would be helpful. Thank you

--
new2gimp2017 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Locking layers won't work.

oneaty
>I'm new to gimp. No matter how many times I try...the lock pixels and
>lock alpha channels options will not work.
>
>I would like layers completely locked so as to not accidentally move
>them. I am a veteran photoshop user and this is a very easy thing to
>do...but for the life of me I can't get gimp to lock down anything. I
>have seen tutorials and read articles and I'm doing exactly what it
>says but can still select and move layers even though I chose to lock
>them.
>
>Any ideas on what's going on would be helpful. Thank you

Lock pixels and lock alpha channels do exactly what they state but not position.

What you need is the Gimp development version 2.9.5 (or wait for Gimp 2.10)
which has a lock layer option.

see screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/x8JpOhD.jpg

For a Windows version try www.partha.com

PS users with preconceived ideas of how Gimp should work often have difficulty
adjusting. Best forget your PS workflow and adapt to Gimp.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Locking layers won't work.

oneaty
>Lock pixels and lock alpha channels do exactly what they state but not
>position.
>
>What you need is the Gimp development version 2.9.5 (or wait for Gimp
>2.10) which has a lock layer option.
>
>see screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/x8JpOhD.jpg
>
>For a Windows version try www.partha.com
>
>PS users with preconceived ideas of how Gimp should work often have
>difficulty adjusting. Best forget your PS workflow and adapt to Gimp.
>
>rich: www.gimp-forum.net
Thanks so much for the quick response. I will wait for the new version. What I
was trying to do was set up a template in gimp for a friend as she is very
novice at photo editing. I was just trying to lock things down so she wouldn't
accidentally move top layers around when edting text and replacing a background
image.  Thanks again.

--
new2gimp2017 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)