License Question

Users mailing list
Hi, with regards to licenses:
Firstly, is versions of the GPL the only licenses that covers GIMP code? Or are there some parts of GIMP source code covered by a different license like, for example, Apache 2.0.
Secondly, if there are some parts of the source code covered by a different license, does an end-user, according to you, agree to those extra licenses as well? or, according to you, does the end user only receive the entire source code (including the different license parts) licensed under the terms of the GPLv3?

Thank you

Re: License Question

Jernej Simončič-3
On Thursday, June 18, 2020, 20:25:18, Muhammad Ali via gimp-user-list wrote:

> Hi, with regards to licenses:
> Firstly, is versions of the GPL the only licenses that covers GIMP
> code? Or are there some parts of GIMP source code covered by a
> different license like, for example, Apache 2.0.

Some parts of GIMP's source code are covered by the LGPL; GIMP also
depends on some 3rd party components which have different licenses,
but AFAIK, they're all compatible with GPL.

> Secondly, if there are some parts of the source code covered by a
> different license, does an end-user, according to you, agree to
> those extra licenses as well? or, according to you, does the end
> user only receive the entire source code (including the different
> license parts) licensed under the terms of the GPLv3?

User doesn't have to agree to any of GIMP's licenses in order to use
it - GPL–compatible licenses only govern redistribution, not usage
(they're not EULAs).

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< https://eternallybored.org/ >

When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time.
       -- Abrams's Advice

Re: License Question

On Thu, 2020-06-18 at 18:25 +0000, Muhammad Ali via gimp-user-list
wrote:
> Hi, with regards to licenses:
> Firstly, is versions of the GPL the only licenses that covers GIMP
> code? Or are there some parts of GIMP source code covered by a
> different license like, for example, Apache 2.0.

This was already answered i think.

> Secondly, if there are some parts of the source code covered by a
> different license, does an end-user, according to you, agree to those
> extra licenses as well? or, according to you, does the end user only
> receive the entire source code (including the different license
> parts) licensed under the terms of the GPLv3?

There are two separate issues here.

First, as pointed out in another response, the GPL applies to people
distributing GIMP (although that includes the GIMP authors)...

Second, you get all the source, although you only need the source, in
general, if you want to modify GIMP, or to compile it yourself, e.g.
ona computer systemfor which there are no binary packages available.

Liam (slave ankh)

Voluntary servitude is a choice i have made; unlike actual slavery, i
am free to unmake the choice at any time.

Re: License Question

Users mailing list
Hi, thank you for the replies, Liam and Jernej.

I just wanted one last thing clarified: I see Jernej mentions that the entire GIMP program is under the GPL because any other licensed work that may have been used would be compatible with the GPL.
And, also, it is mentioned that the free licenses, according to the licensors, only cover distribution and not usage. I understand this due to GPL section 9, but how is that the case for MIT?

>User doesn't have to agree to any of GIMP's licenses in order to use
>it - GPL–compatible licenses only govern redistribution, not usage
>(they're not EULAs).

But I find that there is confusion among people since licenses like MIT (which is GPL compatible) explicitly mention the word "use" when listing the rights that the license give, according to the licensor. Can you please explain how to properly understand it (in that, it doesn't intend to govern use and only intends to govern distribution)?

Sorry for the long question, but basically:
I understand the GPL only covers distribution, and not usage, BUT how do I understand that the MIT only governs distribution?
Why do so many people have different interpretations because some say it (the MIT) is an agreement that does cover usage, which interpretation is correct?

________________________________
wrote:
> Hi, with regards to licenses:
> Firstly, is versions of the GPL the only licenses that covers GIMP
> code? Or are there some parts of GIMP source code covered by a
> different license like, for example, Apache 2.0.

This was already answered i think.

> Secondly, if there are some parts of the source code covered by a
> different license, does an end-user, according to you, agree to those
> extra licenses as well? or, according to you, does the end user only
> receive the entire source code (including the different license
> parts) licensed under the terms of the GPLv3?

There are two separate issues here.

First, as pointed out in another response, the GPL applies to people
distributing GIMP (although that includes the GIMP authors)...

Second, you get all the source, although you only need the source, in
general, if you want to modify GIMP, or to compile it yourself, e.g.
ona computer systemfor which there are no binary packages available.

Liam (slave ankh)

Voluntary servitude is a choice i have made; unlike actual slavery, i
am free to unmake the choice at any time.

Re: License Question

Liam R E Quin
On Fri, 2020-06-19 at 01:48 +0000, Muhammad Ali wrote:
> Hi, thank you for the replies, Liam and Jernej.

Probably we'd get further if you described your underlying issue - what
are you trying to do, or, what are you worried about here?

Thanks.