Let's discuss about the text tool

Users mailing list
Hello all,

I've been using GIMP for a while now, and the way the Text tool works as always bugged me. I would like to discuss what bugs me, what other people think, potential solutions for it.

Now, maybe I'm using the tool wrong, or maybe there is a rationale I don't understand behind some decisions. In that case, I would love to have the feedback from a power user or a developer.

1. "Tool Options" Versus floating panel

When you create a text, a floating panel appears above it.

Some options are common between the "Tool Options" panel and the floating panel (eg. Font Name, Size, Color).

Some options, though, are only available in one of the panels (e.g. "Kerning" is only in the floating panel). Why?

In addition, some options that appear in both panels don't have the same output. I believe it's because the floating panel operates on the selection, whereas the "Tool Options" panel operates on the whole text. However, it can be very confusing. For instance:

a. Create a new text
b. Modify the size in the "Tools Options" panel (by either entering a number and pressing Enter, or scrolling with your mouse wheel)
-> the text size changes (OK)
-> the value also changes in the floating panel (OK)
c. Do the same as in step b. using the floating panel size
-> nothing happens (which is confusing because the text size option looks exactly the same in both panels)

Wouldn't it be easier to unify all the options in one panel, and, for instance, to remove the floating panel entirely?

2. Floating panel does not include a quick font selector

As of today (GIMP 2.10.4), the floating panel only includes a text field, and you have to manually input the name of the font you would like to use. Could this text field be changed to a drop-down menu? Or is it possible to include the same "Font" button that is in the "Tools Options" panel?

3. Font button and font text field

Generally speaking, why are the two separated? Wouldn't it make more sense to only have one drop-down menu where the user could preview the fonts, select them or look for them (by typing some letters)?

4. Floating panel on the edge of an image

If you create a text on the right edge of an image, the floating panel cannot be accessed. Even if you middle-click and drag to reposition the canvas, in some instances you cannot access the whole floating panel options.

This is a tricky situation that would require either very smart automatic-positioning, either allow the user to manually drag this floating panel, either... getting rid of it entirely and put the options in the "Tool Options" panel instead.

5. Text selection

After creating a text, if you select a part of it, each selected letter will be surrounded by a box. Is there a rationale in using that method instead of the more common highlight [1]?

Thank you!

Depending on the output of this discussion, I will create issues in GIMP Gitlab project.

[1] Example (blue highlight): https://i.stack.imgur.com/HooG6.png

​--

Pierre

Re: Let's discuss about the text tool

Users mailing list
I use the text tool a lot myself and have just come to work around most the annoyances. I realize that it's a tricky situation as there are a ton of variables to consider as well as multiple workflows. I am just chiming in to agree wholeheartedly with #4.

I recreate logos and have to match fonts to text in an image. In doing so I am constantly zooming in to get the kerning correct which puts the floating box with the kerning adjustment out of view. I have to zoom out to make an adjustment and back in to check it. This can get painful after a while. Of course I wish the floating panel would "float" within the viewport, but I'd be just as happy to have the adjustment available in the tool panel if that's the only way to get it to work.

Baseline and any other controls that are exclusive to the floating panel should be available in the tool panel if the floating panel cannot be kept in view at all times.

Cheers

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018, at 12:33 AM, Pierre Equoy via gimp-user-list wrote:

> [...]
>
> 4. Floating panel on the edge of an image
>
> If you create a text on the right edge of an image, the floating panel
> cannot be accessed. Even if you middle-click and drag to reposition the
> canvas, in some instances you cannot access the whole floating panel
> options.
>
> This is a tricky situation that would require either very smart
> automatic-positioning, either allow the user to manually drag this
> floating panel, either... getting rid of it entirely and put the options
> in the "Tool Options" panel instead.
>
> 5. Text selection
>
> After creating a text, if you select a part of it, each selected letter
> will be surrounded by a box. Is there a rationale in using that method
> instead of the more common highlight [1]?
>

> Thank you!
>
> Depending on the output of this discussion, I will create issues in GIMP

  akovia

Re: Let's discuss about the text tool

Steve Kinney

On 07/10/2018 05:42 PM, akovia via gimp-user-list wrote:
> I use the text tool a lot myself and have just come to work around most the annoyances. I realize that it's a tricky situation as there are a ton of variables to consider as well as multiple workflows. I am just chiming in to agree wholeheartedly with #4.
>
> I recreate logos and have to match fonts to text in an image. In doing so I am constantly zooming in to get the kerning correct which puts the floating box with the kerning adjustment out of view. I have to zoom out to make an adjustment and back in to check it. This can get painful after a while. Of course I wish the floating panel would "float" within the viewport, but I'd be just as happy to have the adjustment available in the tool panel if that's the only way to get it to work.
>
> Baseline and any other controls that are exclusive to the floating panel should be available in the tool panel if the floating panel cannot be kept in view at all times.
>
> Cheers

Ancient Internet Tradition pronounces "me too" posts off topic in any
forum, but:

Me too.  What you just said.  Exactly that.

:D

Re: Let's discuss about the text tool

Owen Cook

> I use the text tool a lot myself and have just come to work around most the annoyances. I realize that it's a tricky situation as there are a ton of variables to consider as well as multiple workflows. I am just chiming in to agree wholeheartedly with #4.
>
> I recreate logos and have to match fonts to text in an image. In doing so I am constantly zooming in to get the kerning correct which puts the floating box with the kerning adjustment out of view. I have to zoom out to make an adjustment and back in to check it. This can get painful after a while. Of course I wish the floating panel would "float" within the viewport, but I'd be just as happy to have the adjustment available in the tool panel if that's the only way to get it to work.
>
> Baseline and any other controls that are exclusive to the floating panel should be available in the tool panel if the floating panel cannot be kept in view at all times.

I think it is unreasonable to expect gimp to be a full blown font editor.

Why not try your corrections in say Scribus?

Owen

On 18-07-11 11:17:06, Owen wrote:

>I think it is unreasonable to expect gimp to be a full blown font editor.
>
>Why not try your corrections in say Scribus?

Anything with more than a paragraph or so needs Scribus. Even stuff like
invites and posters are easier in there.

A tip that might help (although probably people already know this..):

The GIMP text tool had been driving me up the f***ing wall for years. I
just couldn't get text to stay consistent when editing it.

Then I realised the real trick is to use the tool options in the dock
and try to avoid the floating bar if at all possible. Makes life a lot
easier in the long run.

Re: Let's discuss about the text tool

It's unreasonable to use gimp to recreate a logo of maybe two to three words? I certainly don't need a full blown text editor for that and would look elsewhere when I do. Not sure if you read my reply, but I only spoke about an existing feature that is unusable in certain situations such as being zoomed in while trying to get an alignment correct. Unless this is by design for some reason, I would think this would be considered a bug or an incomplete feature. I just wanted to bring light to it as others have in the hopes that a solution might be found.

I will continue to work around the problem as I always have. I wasn't bitching or complaining about it, only adding another voice to let the devs know this isn't just an edge case problem and effects more than just the OP. Feedback is usually the path progress which was my goal.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018, at 5:17 AM, Owen wrote:

> > I use the text tool a lot myself and have just come to work around most the annoyances. I realize that it's a tricky situation as there are a ton of variables to consider as well as multiple workflows. I am just chiming in to agree wholeheartedly with #4.
> >
> > I recreate logos and have to match fonts to text in an image. In doing so I am constantly zooming in to get the kerning correct which puts the floating box with the kerning adjustment out of view. I have to zoom out to make an adjustment and back in to check it. This can get painful after a while. Of course I wish the floating panel would "float" within the viewport, but I'd be just as happy to have the adjustment available in the tool panel if that's the only way to get it to work.
> >
> > Baseline and any other controls that are exclusive to the floating panel should be available in the tool panel if the floating panel cannot be kept in view at all times.
>

> I think it is unreasonable to expect gimp to be a full blown font editor.
>
> Why not try your corrections in say Scribus?
>

> Owen

  akovia

Re: Let's discuss about the text tool

Hello everyone,

thanks to those of you who answered and provided some feedback.

I've created two issues in the GIMP Gitlab project:

- Improved font selector <https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/1856>
- Text tool: unify all the options in one panel? <https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/1858>

We will see what the feedback is :)

​--
Pierre

Let's discuss about the text tool

Misslo777
Hi, I have been using GIMP for about 10yrs now and regarding:

>I've created two issues in the GIMP Gitlab project:
>
>- Improved font selector
><https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/1856>
>- Text tool: unify all the options in one panel?
><https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/1858>
>
>We will see what the feedback is :)
>

>​--
>Pierre
These issues, while mildly annoying have been here for years, and as others
suggested can be worked around, however.
Another issue that nobody has raised as they probably don't notice, is that when
fonts are selected & sized in mm, not points, they are incorrect. I use GIMP
(2.10.4 now) to annotate architectural drawings along with some enhancement
work. If I select a 2.5mm font in Revit, I get a 2.5mm font. For some reason,
GIMP gives me a 1.95mm font which means extra steps of scaling to 135%, then
sharpening them when I forget to check. I usually do a test on a separate layer
and end up with some weird size of 3.15mm, but when I am busy, I forget and just
assume that 2.5 will give me 2.5.
This is very annoying as it is important for this type of work - could we please
get the fonts to size correctly?

Back re scaling my drawings......
Regards....

--