Quantcast

Layers in an .xcf file not showing in the Layers tab

Layers in an .xcf file not showing in the Layers tab

Ross Martinek
 have an .xcf file that is supposed to contain some 300 layers. However, today when I opened it, it says the file has the correct number of layers, but the Layers tab is grayed or blued out, and none of the layers appear.The file was fine when I worked on it yesterday. Opening a backup file has the same result.

Does anyone have an idea why this happened, and what can be done to fix it? Is this a problem with GIMP or is the file corrupt?

Thanks!

Ross

Re: Layers in an .xcf file not showing in the Layers tab

Michael Schumacher

On 03/27/2017 12:14 AM, Ross Martinek wrote:

> have an .xcf file that is supposed to contain some 300 layers.
> However, today when I opened it, it says the file has the correct
> number of layers, but the Layers tab is grayed or blued out, and none
> of the layers appear.The file was fine when I worked on it yesterday.

But does the image still look ok? If yes, then the layers are there, but
don't show up in the Layers dialog.

> Opening a backup file has the same result.
>
> Does anyone have an idea why this happened, and what can be done to
> fix it? Is this a problem with GIMP or is the file corrupt?

The Layers dialog can be set to follow the active image automatically,
or require a manual action to do so - this can be useful if you want to
bring many layers from one image into another, for example.

This is controlled by the bar with a image drop-down and Auto button in
the corresponding dock - see
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-dialogs-structure.html#gimp-layer-dialog

You should check if you have disabled the Auto setting there.