Language settings

simongcc
Hello! I would like to know how to change the default language of the
interface instead of the automatically detected one in Windows version?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Simon

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Language settings

Roel Schroeven-2
simongcc wrote:
> Hello! I would like to know how to change the default language of the
> interface instead of the automatically detected one in Windows version?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> Simon

Hello Simon,

Start menu-> Settings-> Control Panel-> System
Then in the advanced tab, click on environment variables
In the user variables area, create a new variable called LANGUAGE
set its value to C for default (american), de for German, fr for French,
it for Italian, etc. Repeat the process with a second variable called LANG.

Regards,

Olivier.

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: Language settings

Michael Schumacher
Olivier Ripoll wrote:

> Start menu-> Settings-> Control Panel-> System
> Then in the advanced tab, click on environment variables
> In the user variables area, create a new variable called LANGUAGE
> set its value to C for default (american), de for German, fr for French,
> it for Italian, etc. Repeat the process with a second variable called LANG.

Setting one of them should be sufficient.

HTH,

The GIMP > http://www.gimp.org      | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp
    Wiki > http://wiki.gimp.org     | .de: http://gimpforum.de
Plug-ins > http://registry.gimp.org |

Michael Schumacher wrote:

> Olivier Ripoll wrote:
>

>>Start menu-> Settings-> Control Panel-> System
>>Then in the advanced tab, click on environment variables
>>In the user variables area, create a new variable called LANGUAGE
>>set its value to C for default (american), de for German, fr for French,
>>it for Italian, etc. Repeat the process with a second variable called LANG.
>

> Setting one of them should be sufficient.
>

> HTH,
> Michael

Before sending the email, I had tried on my machine. One only does not
work for me, I need to set both. I might depend on machine configurations.

Best regards,

Olivier

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Language settings

simongcc
Thanks for your reply.

I have tried both but it return the same language.
Actually, I am using Japanese Windows and the GIMP shows Japanese. I
have intentionally tried "fr" to be the default
language but it still display Japanese.
I have added
"LANGUAGE"
"LANG"
and "fr"
as the environment variables

I restart the GIMP but it still display Japanese.
Any clue?

Thanks.
Simon

--- In [hidden email], Olivier Ripoll
<gimpwin-users@m...> wrote:
> simongcc wrote:
> > Hello! I would like to know how to change the default language of the
> > interface instead of the automatically detected one in Windows
version?

> > Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Simon
>
> Hello Simon,
>
> Start menu-> Settings-> Control Panel-> System
> Then in the advanced tab, click on environment variables
> In the user variables area, create a new variable called LANGUAGE
> set its value to C for default (american), de for German, fr for
French,
> it for Italian, etc. Repeat the process with a second variable
called LANG.

> Regards,
>
> Olivier.

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Language settings

Tor Lillqvist
simongcc writes:
 > I have added
 > "LANGUAGE"
 > "LANG"
 > and "fr"
 > as the environment variables

Hmm, are you sure you did it correctly? If you open a Command Prompt
and enter the command "set l", does it show the lines LANGUAGE=fr and
LANG=fr?

(Just either one of LANGUAGE or LANG is enough, BTW.)

Or does your GIMP installation lack the French localisation? (For
instance, if it's installed by the sysadmins for the express purpose
of being used just in Japanese by the Japanese users, and they thus
left out the other languages.) Or do you perhaps actually start GIMP
by running a script (.bat file) that sets the LANG (or LANGUAGE)
environment variable to "ja"? (Environment variables are per-process.)

--tml

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Language settings (problem resolved)

simongcc
Thanks Lillqvist,

With your opinions, it ignite my curious and give some tests on it.
The result is that I can run the program with the language I desire.
And I found something "maybe odd maybe interest maybe I am stupid :)"
over  the calling process.

My system configurations:
Japanese Windows XP Home SP2
Notebook: Fujitsu NB18C, 256M Ram

1.
> "LANGUAGE"
> "LANG"
Yes. I have verified it. And finally I found that in my Windows
system, actually only
LANGUAGE are read by GIMP, only LANG is not work but only LANGUAGE can
work perfectly in my Windows system.

2.
Because I am using a Mac-like Launcher/dockbar to call program for fun
and for convenience.
I use RKLauncher 0.3b.
I call GIMP from the shortcut in RKLauncher, it give just the default
language of the system.
This mean when the launcher launches the program, it bypass the
Environment settings.
I have tried it in Objectdock, it work without problem. I think maybe
because RKLauncher is still in beta
and/or the way of calling is a different. I will try to report it to
the author.

3.
I directly run the GIMP from the command prompt and with windows
default shortcut, it work fine.
For your last opinion, I try a batch process.

        @echo off
        SET LANGUAGE=fr
        "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\GIMP-2.2.exe"

It work fine but with a command prompt. I don't like it anyway. :p

I wish this experience can help some other people too.

Thanks in advance.
Simon

Olivier Ripoll wrote:

> Michael Schumacher wrote:

> > Setting one of them should be sufficient.

> Before sending the email, I had tried on my machine. One only does not
> work for me, I need to set both. I might depend on machine
> configurations.

LANG always worked for me. What exactly "does not work" on your system when
setting only one of both?

Michael Schumacher wrote:
> Olivier Ripoll wrote:
  >>Michael Schumacher wrote:
>>>Setting one of them should be sufficient.
>>Before sending the email, I had tried on my machine. One only does not
>>work for me, I need to set both. I might depend on machine
>>configurations.
> LANG always worked for me. What exactly "does not work" on your system when
> setting only one of both?
> Michael

LANG=C
LANGUAGE=C
gimp is in American

LANG=C
LANGUAGE=fr
gimp is in American

LANG=fr
LANGUAGE=C
gimp is in American

LANG=fr
LANGUAGE=fr
gimp is in French

Maybe I should try after unset one of the variables

Regards,

Olivier.

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: Language settings

Michael Schumacher
> > Olivier Ripoll wrote:

> >>Before sending the email, I had tried on my machine. One only does not
> >>work for me, I need to set both. I might depend on machine
> >>configurations.

> LANG=C
> LANGUAGE=C
> gimp is in American
>
> LANG=C
> LANGUAGE=fr
> gimp is in American

> Maybe I should try after unset one of the variables

Yes, because in all you exmaples, both are set - the contrary of what you've
written above.

HTH,

+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f?r Mail, Message, More +++

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/