Quantcast

Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF

rich2005
Can someone please help me. I've been trying to make just a simple gif from a 17
year old game. I have gimp 2.6 with GAP 2.6 and am trying to extract video
range. I made two gifs before getting this AMAZING error "unable to load file
type" i have tried mp3, mp4, and avi and nothing seems to work. Im on windows PC
and absolutely fucking retarded when it comes to computers I guess because I
have no clue what to do. So if you're kind enough please try and keep it simple
for my pathetic brain and not something like "ohh thats an old PCIEX file type
branching from the MCI-30 hierarchy you need to extra the TCP file extra through
this data repository info program that you can install using a github PCT
repository through a simple command prompt install using the following codes"

--
vslash9 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF

Mark Morin-2
mp3, mp4, and avi are audo/video file formats. Gimp is a graphics editor
-- it handles pictures not sounds or videos.

When you say that you are trying to make a gif, do you mean an animated
gif? To do that you need to individual cells (images) of the animation
and stack those as layers.

On 3/29/2017 4:15 PM, vslash9 wrote:

> Can someone please help me. I've been trying to make just a simple gif from a 17
> year old game. I have gimp 2.6 with GAP 2.6 and am trying to extract video
> range. I made two gifs before getting this AMAZING error "unable to load file
> type" i have tried mp3, mp4, and avi and nothing seems to work. Im on windows PC
> and absolutely fucking retarded when it comes to computers I guess because I
> have no clue what to do. So if you're kind enough please try and keep it simple
> for my pathetic brain and not something like "ohh thats an old PCIEX file type
> branching from the MCI-30 hierarchy you need to extra the TCP file extra through
> this data repository info program that you can install using a github PCT
> repository through a simple command prompt install using the following codes"

Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF

rich2005
Yes. I know. I'm using GAP plugins to and I get the video option and I'm trying
to extract video range which turns it into layers. But when I open my video
files they all say unknown file type. Even tho I'm pretty dire all I'm using are
very common

--
vslash9 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF

rich2005
>Yes. I know. I'm using GAP plugins to and I get the video option and
>I'm trying to extract video range which turns it into layers. But when
>I open my video files they all say unknown file type. Even tho I'm
>pretty dire all I'm using are very common

AVI and mp4 video files are just wrappers for a particular video codec. AVI can
be anything from uncompressed video thro' lossless huffy compression to
motion-jpeg to modern x261/x265 codecs. A search will bring up any number of
examples of GAP failing to open a video.

What can you do for a video that GAP will not unpack?

One way is install ImageMagick (IM), https://www.imagemagick.org which comes
with a reasonably recent version of ffmpeg. It is command line and after
installing IM navigate to the folder with your video and use a command.

ffmpeg -i inputfile.avi -f image2 imagename-%07d.png

In windows it might look like this in a folder with a single video file.
http://i.imgur.com/1HtXyAi.jpg

Running ffmpeg brings up a lot, but it is mostly information.
http://i.imgur.com/r610mof.jpg

On completion, back to the folder with the video file, now each frame is a
numbered png file ready to open-as-layers in Gimp http://i.imgur.com/24cyJ0M.jpg

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF

rich2005
Sounds awesome! Thanks for taking time to reply. Will try when I am at computer

--
vslash9 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Just want to make a SIMPLE GIF

rich2005
>Sounds awesome! Thanks for taking time to reply. Will try when I am at
>computer

Thinking about it, bound to run into problems. Extracting a range. You can
create all the frames then open the range of images in gimp.

A better way is chop the video using something like Avidemux and then applying
FFMPEG up to you.

A quick video on using FFMPEG in Windows https://youtu.be/PXxECG_6YvA