Is it possible to run GIMP 2.8.10 and GIMP 2.10.20 simultaneously?

Is it possible to run GIMP 2.8.10 and GIMP 2.10.20 simultaneously?

Techno
I'm on Windows 10 and have been running GIMP 2.8.10 for some time, but
I'd like to try GIMP 2.10.20.

I'm not really a graphics person. I have a book titled "The Book of
GIMP" that helps me a lot. It covers up to the version I'm using, but it
won't cover anything new in GIMP 2.10.20. I don't want to clobber the
older version because I will be lost without the advice from that book.

If I can't install it so that I can run both versions simultaneously
could the newer version be installed and then have it so that I can use
one or the other version, but not both at once?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Re: Is it possible to run GIMP 2.8.10 and GIMP 2.10.20 simultaneously?

Users mailing list
On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 2:39 AM Techno wrote:

> I'm on Windows 10 and have been running GIMP 2.8.10 for some time, but
> I'd like to try GIMP 2.10.20.
>
> I'm not really a graphics person. I have a book titled "The Book of
> GIMP" that helps me a lot. It covers up to the version I'm using, but it
> won't cover anything new in GIMP 2.10.20. I don't want to clobber the
> older version because I will be lost without the advice from that book.
>
> If I can't install it so that I can run both versions simultaneously
> could the newer version be installed and then have it so that I can use
> one or the other version, but not both at once?
>
> Thanks for any advice on this.

I don't have Windows close at hand but I'm fairly certain that you
should be able to open the properties dialog for the GIMP launcher in
the Windows menu or the quickstart panel (try right clicking on 'GIMP
2.10.20' in the menu?). That properties dialog displays the full path
to the executable file. You should append " -n" (space and -n) to that
full path right after ".exe". Save and close. Now every time you start
GIMP from the menu or the quickstart panel (depending on where you
edited that launcher).

On 15/08/2020 01:39, Techno wrote:

> I'm on Windows 10 and have been running GIMP 2.8.10 for some time, but
> I'd like to try GIMP 2.10.20.
>
> I'm not really a graphics person. I have a book titled "The Book of
> GIMP" that helps me a lot. It covers up to the version I'm using, but
> it won't cover anything new in GIMP 2.10.20. I don't want to clobber
> the older version because I will be lost without the advice from that
> book.
>
> If I can't install it so that I can run both versions simultaneously
> could the newer version be installed and then have it so that I can
> use one or the other version, but not both at once?
>
> Thanks for any advice on this.

Yes, you can, but... if you have 2.8 and install 2.10, the 2.8 is
removed and the 2.8 profile is transformed into a 2.10 one. So have
bother versions, a technique is to

1. Make a backup of your Gimp 2.8 profile

2. Get hold of both Gimp 2.8 and 2.10 installers (you can also possibly
move your 2.8 installation where the 2.10 installer won't find it)

3. Install Gimp 2.10

4. Reinstall Gimp 2.8 (or restore the previous installation)

5. Reinstate your Gimp 2.8 profile.

Note that when you call Gimp, the first thing the executable does is
look for an already running instance and pass it the file you want to
open. So if you can have the two versions on the same system and start
one or the other when none is running, when there is an instance running
the executables of both versions will always end up calling the running
instance. You can run two separate instances by calling Gimp with the
"-n" parameter.

Recommendation:  create directories in your user space for your add-ons,
and use Preferences>Folders to add them to the configuration of each
version of Gimp. That way you can share the add-ons between both versions.

A completely different way is to use a "portable" build for at least one
of the versions.

On 2020-08-15 17:09, Ofnuts wrote:

> On 15/08/2020 01:39, Techno wrote:
>> I'm on Windows 10 and have been running GIMP 2.8.10 for some time, but
>> I'd like to try GIMP 2.10.20.
>>
>> I'm not really a graphics person. I have a book titled "The Book of
>> GIMP" that helps me a lot. It covers up to the version I'm using, but
>> it won't cover anything new in GIMP 2.10.20. I don't want to clobber
>> the older version because I will be lost without the advice from that
>> book.
>>
>> If I can't install it so that I can run both versions simultaneously
>> could the newer version be installed and then have it so that I can
>> use one or the other version, but not both at once?
>>
>> Thanks for any advice on this.
>

> Yes, you can, but... if you have 2.8 and install 2.10, the 2.8 is
> removed and the 2.8 profile is transformed into a 2.10 one. So have
> bother versions, a technique is to
>
> 1. Make a backup of your Gimp 2.8 profile
>
> 2. Get hold of both Gimp 2.8 and 2.10 installers (you can also possibly
> move your 2.8 installation where the 2.10 installer won't find it)
>
> 3. Install Gimp 2.10
>
> 4. Reinstall Gimp 2.8 (or restore the previous installation)
>
> 5. Reinstate your Gimp 2.8 profile.
>
> Note that when you call Gimp, the first thing the executable does is
> look for an already running instance and pass it the file you want to
> open. So if you can have the two versions on the same system and start
> one or the other when none is running, when there is an instance running
> the executables of both versions will always end up calling the running
> instance. You can run two separate instances by calling Gimp with the
> "-n" parameter.
>
> Recommendation:  create directories in your user space for your add-ons,
> and use Preferences>Folders to add them to the configuration of each
> version of Gimp. That way you can share the add-ons between both
> versions.
>
> A completely different way is to use a "portable" build for at least one
> of the versions.

Would the portable version of 2.10 not interfere at all with the 2.8
installation? If so that might be exactly what I need. Thanks.

On Fri, 2020-08-14 at 19:39 -0400, Techno wrote:

>  I don't want to clobber the older version because I will be lost
> without the advice from that
> book.

At some point you have to run without a safety harness.

If you approach GIMP with the mindset that the program evolves, and
tutorials you find might not work exactly, then you'll have a lot more
resources available to you.

The best tutorials teach this and also give explanations for each step,
so later you can go back and learn to make up your own methods.

My own favourite book is "The Artist's Guide to GIMP" and again it's
for an older version, but again, all the tutorials become out of date.

On Linux you can arrange to have two versions installed and start them
with gimp -n (new instance); probably also on Mac; i don't know about
Windows, but in principle you could, especially if you don't run both
at the same time.

Full-time slave in voluntary servitude