Is GIMP a knockoff of Photoshop?

Users mailing list
I'm being told GIMP is a knockoff of Photoshop rather than an alternative because "it fits the definition". Is this true or not?

Re: Is GIMP a knockoff of Photoshop?

Users mailing list
Well, GIMP can be downloaded from various places. You can download and
install.

Then head over to Adobe. Download and install Photoshop CC.

Now compare and viola! You have your answer.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 6:01 PM TheComputerGuy via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm being told GIMP is a knockoff of Photoshop rather than an alternative
> because "it fits the definition". Is this true or not?

Re: Is GIMP a knockoff of Photoshop?

Hello there,

We have a few entries in the FAQ that cover this topic starting here:

https://www.gimp.org/docs/userfaq.html#are-you-trying-to-develop-a-photoshop-killer-app

Given how many people complain that we "don't just copy Photoshop", I
dare say the suggested definition of a Photoshop knock-off falls flat
on its face :)

Alex

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 2:01 AM TheComputerGuy via gimp-user-list
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm being told GIMP is a knockoff of Photoshop rather than an alternative because "it fits the definition". Is this true or not?

Re: Is GIMP a knockoff of Photoshop?

I guess technically by “definition” one could consider GIMP a knock off but that’s like saying an my and all image processing programs are knock offs of one another.

That said, GIMP isn’t being developed to take whatever features are in Photoshop and remake them into a free program. GIMP is developed entirely independently of Photoshop with very little regard given to what Adobe is adding to its product.

At the end of the day, does it really matter?

> On Mar 6, 2020, at 6:01 PM, TheComputerGuy via gimp-user-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm being told GIMP is a knockoff of Photoshop rather than an alternative because "it fits the definition". Is this true or not?

Re: Is GIMP a knockoff of Photoshop?

There is one thing of which you may be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN: Adobe is a very large corporation with a team of copyright lawyers on call, if not on staff. If GIMP was, in any way, a copy, those working on it would get a “cease and desist” order faster than you can type “copyright.” They have not.

And as a former Photoshop user who now uses GIMP exclusively, I can testify under oath that it is not a copy, by any so-called "definition.” Such definitions are entirely specious—or you can use the short form:

Horse feathers!

Sorry for the rant, but this sort of thing pisses me off.

Ross

On 2020-03-06 2:53 PM, TheComputerGuy via gimp-user-list wrote:

> I'm being told GIMP is a knockoff of Photoshop rather than an alternative because "it fits the definition".

  What definition is that?
  Or Photoshop is a knockoff of GIMP.

--
James Moe