Intelligent scissors

joncsby
The intelligent scissors tool is very interesting, but what's the
purpose of it? I can't cut or copy the selection.

Jon

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Intelligent scissors

Roel Schroeven-2
joncsby wrote:
> The intelligent scissors tool is very interesting, but what's the
> purpose of it? I can't cut or copy the selection.

Have you tried clicking at the centre after you have closed it ? When a
selection is created, you should see the "marching ants" (dashed line
moving around the selection). When you have a valid selection, you can
copy/cut/delete it.

Sincerely,

Olivier

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Intelligent scissors

joncsby
--- In [hidden email], Olivier Ripoll
<gimpwin-users@m...> wrote:

> joncsby wrote:
> > The intelligent scissors tool is very interesting, but what's the
> > purpose of it? I can't cut or copy the selection.
>
> Have you tried clicking at the centre after you have closed it ? When a
> selection is created, you should see the "marching ants" (dashed line
> moving around the selection). When you have a valid selection, you can
> copy/cut/delete it.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Olivier

Center of what? Clicking at the center of the selection only continues
the path.

Jon

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: Intelligent scissors

Neil Turner
joncsby wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], Olivier Ripoll
> <gimpwin-users@m...> wrote:
> > joncsby wrote:
> > > The intelligent scissors tool is very interesting, but what's the
> > > purpose of it? I can't cut or copy the selection.
> >
> > Have you tried clicking at the centre after you have closed it ? When a
> > selection is created, you should see the "marching ants" (dashed line
> > moving around the selection). When you have a valid selection, you can
> > copy/cut/delete it.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Olivier
>
> Center of what? Clicking at the center of the selection only continues
> the path.
>

> Jon

Jon

I too have had problems with the intelligent scissors - sometimes
clicking the centre of the selection and other times it just continued
the path. I don't know if this is a bug or whether the precise
positioning of the scissor points is really critical.

May I suggest that you use the path tool to outline the desired area of
your image, you can then use "select from path" to make this a
selection. This approach is simple and works reliably for me.

Neil

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: Intelligent scissors

catfish
With scissors you to watch the cursor carefuly. On first there will be a
little "+" meaning where you click it will create a new point. Once you go
around your object you need to click back on the first point. When you hover
over that point the "+" will switch to the move icon, click. You note that
inside the bounds the little icons disappear and outside of the bounds you
get a No icon. Clicking inside converts it to a full selection.

catfish wrote:

> With scissors you to watch the cursor carefuly. On first there will be a
> little "+" meaning where you click it will create a new point. Once
> you go
> around your object you need to click back on the first point. When you
> hover
> over that point the "+" will switch to the move icon, click. You note
> that
> inside the bounds the little icons disappear and outside of the bounds
> you
> get a No icon. Clicking inside converts it to a full selection.
>
> > Center of what? Clicking at the center of the selection only continues
> > the path.
>
> >> Have you tried clicking at the centre after you have closed it ?

> to <mailto:[hidden email]>

Catfish

I have tended to select objects with the path tool rather than
intelligent scissors. I decided to look at them again and I am pleased
to confirm that they do work as you describe.

I think that the scissors may be better ay following a complex curve
than using the pathtool. This could be very useful. However the scissors
algorithm had more problems with blured straight edges - somethimes
following a colour contour within the selected object?

If this happened with the pathtool I would simply undo the last point
(using the edit undo command). Is it possible to go back one or two
steps with the scissors tool in the same way?

Thanks

Neil

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Intelligent scissors

ronaldw777
--- In [hidden email], Neil Turner <gypsy_roadhog@y...>
wrote:
> catfish wrote:
>
> > With scissors you to watch the cursor carefuly. On first there
will be a

> > little "+" meaning where you click it will create a new point. Once
> > you go
> > around your object you need to click back on the first point. When you
> > hover
> > over that point the "+" will switch to the move icon, click. You note
> > that
> > inside the bounds the little icons disappear and outside of the bounds
> > you
> > get a No icon. Clicking inside converts it to a full selection.
> >
> > > Center of what? Clicking at the center of the selection only
continues

> > > the path.

> > to <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >
> Catfish
>
> I have tended to select objects with the path tool rather than
> intelligent scissors. I decided to look at them again and I am pleased
> to confirm that they do work as you describe.
>
> I think that the scissors may be better ay following a complex curve
> than using the pathtool. This could be very useful. However the scissors
> algorithm had more problems with blured straight edges - somethimes
> following a colour contour within the selected object?
>
> If this happened with the pathtool I would simply undo the last point
> (using the edit undo command). Is it possible to go back one or two
> steps with the scissors tool in the same way?
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

 I have been watching this discussion with interest, having
experienced problems myself with scissors on my Windows XP SP2 with
GIMP 2.2.4 and GTK 2.6rc5
Following your instructions works correctly with up to about 5 points,
after which, clicking to complete the circuit does not remove the "+"
icon and cliicking in the centre merely produces another point.
What is odd is that the number of points that can be selected before
trouble occurs seems to be related to the tone of the enclosed area,
If it is a continuous light tone I have managed up to 11 points. A
dark continuous tone may give 7 points. A mixture of tones will cut it
down to 4 or 5.
Has anyone any idea why this should happen?
Ron

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: Intelligent scissors

catfish
> I think that the scissors may be better ay following a complex curve
> than using the pathtool. This could be very useful. However the
> scissors algorithm had more problems with blured straight edges -
> somethimes following a colour contour within the selected object?

Actually I haven't really used scissors in a long time and usually stick
with paths or masks. I also had those kinda problems.

> If this happened with the pathtool I would simply undo the last point
> (using the edit undo command). Is it possible to go back one or two
> steps with the scissors tool in the same way?

Doesn't look like it does, but you can move the previous points around to
try to fix it.

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: Intelligent scissors

catfish
I'm unable to relicate that as long as a make sure that I'm clicking on that
first point, sometimes using zoom to make sure. Using xp sp2, gimp2.2.7 and
gtk2.6.7. Was able to make over 40 points on several different images
without problems. If the points very close to gether try zooming in some
more.

catfish wrote:

> I'm unable to relicate that as long as a make sure that I'm clicking
> on that
> first point, sometimes using zoom to make sure. Using xp sp2,
> gimp2.2.7 and
> gtk2.6.7. Was able to make over 40 points on several different images
> without problems. If the points very close to gether try zooming in some
> more.
>
> > I have been watching this discussion with interest, having
> > experienced problems myself with scissors on my Windows XP SP2 with
> > GIMP 2.2.4 and GTK 2.6rc5
> > Following your instructions works correctly with up to about 5 points,
> > after which, clicking to complete the circuit does not remove the "+"
> > icon and cliicking in the centre merely produces another point.
> > What is odd is that the number of points that can be selected before
> > trouble occurs seems to be related to the tone of the enclosed area,
> > If it is a continuous light tone I have managed up to 11 points. A
> > dark continuous tone may give 7 points. A mixture of tones will cut it
> > down to 4 or 5.
> > Has anyone any idea why this should happen?

I agree - when I was using scissors today with Gimp 2.2.7 on Windows XP
sp2 I was able to make a large number of points  and then select
successfully.

Neil

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Intelligent scissors

Suzanne Paul
--- In [hidden email], Neil Turner
<gypsy_roadhog@y...> wrote:
> catfish wrote:
>
> > I'm unable to relicate that as long as a make sure that I'm
clicking
> > on that
> > first point, sometimes using zoom to make sure. Using xp sp2,
> > gimp2.2.7 and
> > gtk2.6.7. Was able to make over 40 points on several different
images
> > without problems. If the points very close to gether try zooming
in some
> > more.
> >
> > > I have been watching this discussion with interest, having
> > > experienced problems myself with scissors on my Windows XP SP2
with
> > > GIMP 2.2.4 and GTK 2.6rc5
> > > Following your instructions works correctly with up to about 5
points,
> > > after which, clicking to complete the circuit does not remove
the "+"
> > > icon and cliicking in the centre merely produces another point.
> > > What is odd is that the number of points that can be selected
before
> > > trouble occurs seems to be related to the tone of the enclosed
area,
> > > If it is a continuous light tone I have managed up to 11
points. A
> > > dark continuous tone may give 7 points. A mixture of tones
will cut it
> > > down to 4 or 5.
> > > Has anyone any idea why this should happen?

> I agree - when I was using scissors today with Gimp 2.2.7 on
Windows XP
> sp2 I was able to make a large number of points  and then select
> successfully.
>
> Neil
>
> I have the same configuration as Neil, I gave up on the scissors
because of problems like the ones in the first part of this thread.
I now have them working correctly. By zooming in and placing points
close together. Thank you Gimpwin users!
13/05/2005

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Intelligent scissors

ronaldw777
--- In [hidden email], "Suzanne Paul"
<ennazusluap@a...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], Neil Turner
> <gypsy_roadhog@y...> wrote:
> > catfish wrote:
> >
> > > I'm unable to relicate that as long as a make sure that I'm
> clicking
> > > on that
> > > first point, sometimes using zoom to make sure. Using xp sp2,
> > > gimp2.2.7 and
> > > gtk2.6.7. Was able to make over 40 points on several different
> images
> > > without problems. If the points very close to gether try zooming
> in some
> > > more.

> with
> points,
> the "+"
> before
> area,
> points. A
> will cut it

> > I agree - when I was using scissors today with Gimp 2.2.7 on
> Windows XP
> > sp2 I was able to make a large number of points  and then select
> > successfully.
> >
> > Neil
> >
> > I have the same configuration as Neil, I gave up on the scissors
> because of problems like the ones in the first part of this thread.
> I now have them working correctly. By zooming in and placing points
> close together. Thank you Gimpwin users!

That is very interesting. Zooming in does seem to work, but why it
does I do not understand, for the change of the small icon from"+" to
the "Move" icon surely tells you that you are over the right spot
without the need to zoom.
Ron.