Installing Gimp 2.10.18 on Mac OS using macports

Installing Gimp 2.10.18 on Mac OS using macports

Luthien
Since there's still no official Mac OS build for Mac OS available, I first tried
Partha's build.
I'm glad that he got around to making those available again.

However, I found that especially using G'Mic is very slow on that build - much
slower than they older 'official' 2.10.14 version of Gimp was. So, I looked for
other options.
Homebrew still only provides 2.10.14 as well, but apparently MacPorts does offer
v. 2.10.18, so I gave that a try.

Short version: it works fine, but building will take some time. Also, the
installed version runs on XQuartz, like in the old days ;) - key combinations
all use the Control, not the Command key. You can change that in the keyboards
shortcuts config. G'Mic is also fine, and is definitely as fast as it was on v.
2.10.14.

Slightly longer version: for instructions on how to install MacPorts, see the
macports website. There are .pkg packages for all recent versions of Mac OS.

You will also need to have the XCode command line tools installed - macports
will probably prompt you if it can't find it.

And: be patient ... MacPorts builds all the required libraries, and therefore it
takes serious time. Using a 2019 MBP (2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9), the whole
exercise lasted about an hour - especially the building gcc10 step. Just wait
until it's done.

If all goes well, you'll end up with a directory called 'MacPorts' in the
Application folder; and in there a tiny Gimp.app package, with the bulk of the
code installed in /opt/local.
Note that, contrary to Homebrew, MacPorts requires sudo permissions to install
software.

I think it's usable, but I still hope the official version for mac will come out
(no XQuartz, the menu in the usual top-bar pace, and having the CMD key
combinations).

I hope this is of some use to others!

LĂșthien

--
Luthien (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Installing Gimp 2.10.18 on Mac OS using macports

Luthien
Incidentally, if I could help out with creating the official build for Mac OS,
I'd be happy to.

I already tried to find some instructions how to do that, but the only thing
that I could find is the "Hacking: Building/Mac OSX" page on wiki.gimp.org,
which seems pretty incomplete and outdated. One would think that there should be
something other than that, or has only one person done all the mac os builds all
those years?

Just wondering :)

--
Luthien (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Installing Gimp 2.10.18 on Mac OS using macports

Users mailing list
Some great dialog about this over on this thread:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list/2020-April/msg00142.html

I volunteered to help but have been backlogged.  XQuartz is unusable in my
opinion.  It's a nice option, but for productivity software I've
steered away from it.  Anyway, the Homebrew stuff is documented (with
links) on that thread.

- [hidden email]

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 1:24 PM Luthien <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Incidentally, if I could help out with creating the official build for Mac
> OS,
> I'd be happy to.
>
> I already tried to find some instructions how to do that, but the only
> thing
> that I could find is the "Hacking: Building/Mac OSX" page on wiki.gimp.org
> ,
> which seems pretty incomplete and outdated. One would think that there
> should be
> something other than that, or has only one person done all the mac os
> builds all
> those years?
>
> Just wondering :)
>
> --
> Luthien (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Installing Gimp 2.10.18 on Mac OS using macports

Just out of interest, (I'm not a Mac user), would it take as long if you
were to rebuild? In other words, does the process always rebuild everything
or is it cleverer than that?

Cheers,

Cliff

My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt