Install Layers FX plugin

billlee
Hi All

I am new and have been trying to install the Layers fx plugin to no avail??  Can
someone send me a link to download this plugin?

Thank you
Loriblackdog

--
Loriblackdog (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Install Layers FX plugin

billlee
>Hi All
>
>I am new and have been trying to install the Layers fx plugin to no
>avail??  Can someone send me a link to download this plugin?
>
>Thank you
>Loriblackdog

The old gimp-plugin-registry site is gone. There were 3 versions of layerfx.
Assuming you are using Windows, the attached is a slightly tweaked version for
Gimp 2.10

Unzip it, and pop in your Gimp profile plug-ins folder
C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

screenshot https://i.imgur.com/z7zcMsd.jpg

Find it bottom of the layers menu (also in right click in layers dialogue)

https://i.imgur.com/YFVV6US.jpg

It is one of the plugins that are not very happy with Gimp 2.10 / 32bit python
2.7.15 Some filters do not work.

Work-arounds. The python color picker crashes. Set the FG color first, then
right-click in the dialogue, choose FG color.

https://i.imgur.com/uiSxStG.jpg

As the name implies, it works on layers, depending on filter & settings remember
to size any text layers to suit.

https://i.imgur.com/DnQW1WQ.jpg

If you want an earlier / Gimp 2.8 version just ask.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1019/original/LayerFX-210.py.zip

Install Layers FX plugin

billlee
>The old gimp-plugin-registry site is gone. There were 3 versions of
>layerfx. Assuming you are using Windows, the attached is a slightly
>tweaked version for Gimp 2.10
>
>Unzip it, and pop in your Gimp profile plug-ins folder
>C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins
>
>screenshot https://i.imgur.com/z7zcMsd.jpg
>
>Find it bottom of the layers menu (also in right click in layers
>dialogue)
>
>https://i.imgur.com/YFVV6US.jpg
>
>It is one of the plugins that are not very happy with Gimp 2.10 /
>32bit python 2.7.15 Some filters do not work.
>
>Work-arounds. The python color picker crashes. Set the FG color first,
>then right-click in the dialogue, choose FG color.
>
>https://i.imgur.com/uiSxStG.jpg
>
>As the name implies, it works on layers, depending on filter &
>settings remember to size any text layers to suit.
>
>https://i.imgur.com/DnQW1WQ.jpg
>
>If you want an earlier / Gimp 2.8 version just ask.

Hi Rich,
I didn't  see the zip file? I am missing something?  Can you send me the zip
file?  I would greatly appreciate any help you   can send my way.

Thank you
Loriblackdog

--
Loriblackdog (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Install Layers FX plugin

billlee
>Hi Rich,
>I didn't  see the zip file? I am missing something?  Can you send me
>the zip file?  I would greatly appreciate any help you   can send my
>way.
>
>Thank you
>Loriblackdog

Are you using the mailing list or the forum? I only use the forum. Right hand
side of the post,

However try this.

http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1019/original/LayerFX-210.py.zip?1537971689

Install Layers FX plugin

billlee
>Are you using the mailing list or the forum? I only use the forum.
>Right hand side of the post,
>
>However try this.
>
>http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1019/original/LayerFX-210.py.zip?1537971689
Hi Rich,

Google chrome blocked me from downloading stating potential malware?  How can I
be sure this is safe to do?,  Like I said I am new to this and would like to
know?

thank you

Loriblackdog

--
Loriblackdog (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Install Layers FX plugin

billlee
>Hi Rich,
>
>Google chrome blocked me from downloading stating potential malware?
>How can I be sure this is safe to do?,  Like I said I am new to this
>and would like to know?
>
>thank you
>
>Loriblackdog

It is up to you, nothing wrong with the file(s) Could be because it is 'python'
and thus a 'program'

Run it through virustotal.com

Done it for you

This one the zip as you would download. https://i.imgur.com/zh2Ndr5.jpg

this one the file in the zip https://i.imgur.com/TWR6Y7N.jpg

I use linux and do not have to through that rigmarole.

Install Layers FX plugin

billlee
>It is up to you, nothing wrong with the file(s) Could be because it is
>'python' and thus a 'program'
>
>Run it through virustotal.com
>
>Done it for you
>
>This one the zip as you would download.
>https://i.imgur.com/zh2Ndr5.jpg
>
>this one the file in the zip https://i.imgur.com/TWR6Y7N.jpg
>
>I use linux and do not have to through that rigmarole.

Hi Rich,

It has been 3 days and I still cannot get this plugin installed, McAfee has it
blocked and I cannot even look at it.?  Is anyone else having this problem?
Isn't there a workaround?  Like I said I am new to this and it is very very
FRUSTRATING.
Thank yLoriblackdog

Loriblackdog (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Install Layers FX plugin

billlee
>Hi Rich,
>
>It has been 3 days and I still cannot get this plugin installed,
>McAfee has it blocked and I cannot even look at it.?  Is anyone else
>having this problem?  Isn't there a workaround?  Like I said I am new
>to this and it is very very FRUSTRATING.
>Thank yLoriblackdog

Not going to make much difference wherever I point you to, since it looks like
your AV will stop any file with a .py suffix.

The old registry.gimp.org site was backed up as an archive and you can browse
through the files

https://github.com/pixlsus/registry.gimp.org_static/tree/master/registry.gimp.org/files

The one you want is:

https://github.com/pixlsus/registry.gimp.org_static/raw/master/registry.gimp.org/files/layerfx.2.8.py.txt

Note the .txt suffix. You will have to remove that for the plugin to work eg.
rename to layerfx28.py

I have found even that defeats some Windows users, so best of luck.