Infrared image to full color image

Users mailing list
I have an infrared converted Nikon d700, I would like to able to convert the image to a full color image.  Can some send be a procedure to follow?

Thank you for your time.

Re: Infrared image to full color image

Steve Kinney

On 5/27/19 11:12 AM, robert hungate via gimp-user-list wrote:
> I have an infrared converted Nikon d700, I would like to able to convert the image to a full color image.  Can some send be a procedure to follow?
>
> Thank you for your time.

Colorizing images presents as a minor art & science in and of itself -
lots of techniques apply, and they vary from user to user and photo to
photo.  That said, this simple tutorial looks like a good starting point:

http://www.digitalphotoguide.net/post-production/colorize-black-and-white-photo-gimp/

One important detail:  Where the tutorial says "flatten the image,"
don't do that.  You would lose the ability to make adjustments to the
patch of color you just added.  Instead, name that layer after the color
it adds, add another transparent layer, and repeat the process described
for another color.  As you are looking for a finished project in "full
color", you will likely end up with a half dozen or more layers, each
new one adding a different color to different regions of the original
image.

The Hue / Saturation tool in the main GIMP toolbox will enable you to
make fine adjustments to your color layers as needed.  I expect this
will be a life saver.  So, too, might using the Smudge tool with a small
brush selected, to adjust the edges of the color patches to more closely
match/blend with the base image.

If your base image is not already in grayscale, you will want to convert
a copy of that layer to grayscale before adding colorizing layers above
it. Some adjustments to the brightness, contrast, etc. of the grayscale
layer may be helpful to get a more natural looking base image; if so try
the Brightness/Contrast and or Curves tools.

Save your project as an .xcf file "early and often" to assure you don't
lose any work.

:o)

Re: Infrared image to full color image

Users mailing list
One thing Steve did not say ... your original "infrared" image does not
contain color data using which you can simply convert to "full color" from
infrared.

That is, you cannot perform a sequence of steps using GIMP tools that will
take an infrared image and end up with a full color image.

Your infrared image, to GIMP, looks just like any full color image - it's a
three channel RGB image. GIMP knows nothing about "infrared" as an image
format. A camera with an infrared filter captures the light passing through
that filter to RGB channels. What is captured is all that is captured.
White balance is the likely only way to affect the image in the way you're
thinking, but I'm not hopeful for acceptable results.

The link provided by Steve explains a process to use layers in GIMP to
manually add color to a grayscale layer--essentially painting color to
parts of the image. This is a highly subjective and time consuming process.
It is far from automatic.

Regardd.

--

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of
human existence.”

― Aristotle

On Mon, May 27, 2019, 3:08 PM Steve Kinney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/27/19 11:12 AM, robert hungate via gimp-user-list wrote:
> > I have an infrared converted Nikon d700, I would like to able to convert
> the image to a full color image.  Can some send be a procedure to follow?
> >
> > Thank you for your time.
>
> Colorizing images presents as a minor art & science in and of itself -
> lots of techniques apply, and they vary from user to user and photo to
> photo.  That said, this simple tutorial looks like a good starting point:
>

> http://www.digitalphotoguide.net/post-production/colorize-black-and-white-photo-gimp/
>
> One important detail:  Where the tutorial says "flatten the image,"
> don't do that.  You would lose the ability to make adjustments to the
> patch of color you just added.  Instead, name that layer after the color
> it adds, add another transparent layer, and repeat the process described
> for another color.  As you are looking for a finished project in "full
> color", you will likely end up with a half dozen or more layers, each
> new one adding a different color to different regions of the original
> image.
>
> The Hue / Saturation tool in the main GIMP toolbox will enable you to
> make fine adjustments to your color layers as needed.  I expect this
> will be a life saver.  So, too, might using the Smudge tool with a small
> brush selected, to adjust the edges of the color patches to more closely
> match/blend with the base image.
>
> If your base image is not already in grayscale, you will want to convert
> a copy of that layer to grayscale before adding colorizing layers above
> it. Some adjustments to the brightness, contrast, etc. of the grayscale
> layer may be helpful to get a more natural looking base image; if so try
> the Brightness/Contrast and or Curves tools.
>
> Save your project as an .xcf file "early and often" to assure you don't
> lose any work.
>
> :o)

Re: Infrared image to full color image

I think this is a good starting point how to work with infrared images and
open source tools:
https://discuss.pixls.us/search?q=Infrared

Regards,
Tobias