Inconsistent Behaviour of New View Windows

Inconsistent Behaviour of New View Windows

Roundball
To quote from the V2.8 on-line documentation for the New View menu command:

"Any change, other than viewing changes, which you make in one window also
appear in the other displays which show the same image. The new views are not
separate image files; they are simply different aspects of the same image. You
might use multiple views, for example, if you were working on individual pixels
at a high zoom factor. You could then see the effects your changes would have on
the image at a normal size."

At the moment I think that this really only applies to the airbrush and the
colour tools (Levels, Curves, Brightness etc).

The paintbrush type tools (pencil, eraser etc) do reflect the changes but only
when the mouse button is released (whereas the airbrush shows the line in all of
the views as it is being drawn).

More importantly the additional views are not updated during transform
operations. In fact with the later versions of 2.9.5, in which the active layer
is made transparent when the transform tool is activated, the additional views
of an image with only one layer all change to the chequerboard pattern - which
looks a bit odd and may be the cause of a number of questions/bug reports.

Displaying the transform preview in the additional views would conform to the
aim stated in the documentation of allowing views of the changes at different
magnifications to that used for the active view. In particular it would allow a
higher magnification to be used for an additional view to see the effects of the
Unified Transform tool - where you can't zoom the active view otherwise the
control handles are not visible and all you can do is rotate or move the image.
Obviously this isn't a problem for the perspective, shear etc tools as the
actions still accessible when zoomed in.

Changing the paint tools so that they reflect the changes 'in real time' is
trivial - in functions gimp_paint_tool_button_press() and
gimp_paint_tool_motion() use the existing gimp_display_flush_now (display) call
when the image has only one display (this makes the program more responsive),
otherwise use gimp_image_flush(image).

Unfortunately, however, I don't have the experience to suggest changes to make
the transform preview appear in the additional views - this being by far the
more useful change.

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Inconsistent Behaviour of New View Windows

Michael Schumacher

On 05/16/2017 12:33 AM, programmer_ceds wrote:

> Changing the paint tools so that they reflect the changes 'in real time' is
> trivial - in functions gimp_paint_tool_button_press() and
> gimp_paint_tool_motion() use the existing gimp_display_flush_now (display) call
> when the image has only one display (this makes the program more responsive),
> otherwise use gimp_image_flush(image).

And this doesn't have a performance impact with large images and brushes?

As you figured out what to change, would you like to create a patch
against git master and file an enhancement request for this?

Re: Inconsistent Behaviour of New View Windows

Michael Schumacher
On 05/16/2017 12:33 AM, programmer_ceds wrote:

> To quote from the V2.8 on-line documentation for the New View menu command:

BTW, this would have been more suitable for the gimp-developer mailing list.

Inconsistent Behaviour of New View Windows

Roundball
>BTW, this would have been more suitable for the gimp-developer mailing
>list.

I'm not a member of the gimp-developer mailing list - perhaps I should join -
can I join?

There is a speed penalty so it might be as well to add an option to Preferences
to allow the user to turn this feature off. But even then the behaviour of the
views would not be consistent as the airbrush would (unless modified from its
current behaviour) still update the additional views as it is used.

Whilst it may be helpful to modify the paint tools in this way my aim was to
modify the transform tools so that the preview appears in all views - thereby
adding to the usability of the Unified Transform tool.

If someone could give me any pointers on how this might be achieved I would be
pleased to look further at it.

I have only just started looking at the gimp sources and trying to build it on
Windows (with some success but I still have a few things to sort out) so I'm not
familiar with the inner workings of the program. I had assumed that there would
be a single canvas for each image and that all of the views for the image were
simply apertures on to this single canvas. So when the canvas had been altered
it was simply a case of redisplaying the appropriate portions in the one or more
views. Given the speed at which the image viewer I use can switch between two
full screen images I was expecting that the generally smaller additional views
would not take long to refresh.

On a separate matter - when compiling/building gegl and gimp there are numerous
warnings displayed (some of these are, I think, only output when building on/for
Windows). I could work at eliminating these warnings to allow a clean build if
such changes would be welcome. Any warnings that then appear as the result of
future changes will then stand out and can be addressed or suppressed as
appropriate.

On 05/16/2017 10:41 AM, programmer_ceds wrote:
>> BTW, this would have been more suitable for the gimp-developer mailing
>> list.
>
> I'm not a member of the gimp-developer mailing list - perhaps I should join -
> can I join?

Yes, you should, and yes, you can - it is a mailing list, so all you
need is an email address and a web browser to go to:

There is an alternative:

Being on IRC can be even more helpful, especially if you need advice in
real-time if you are trying to figure out how some code works *right now*.

Most of the discussions alongside GIMP development actually happen on
IRC, the server is irc.gimp.org and the channel is #gimp. Make sure you
can join during European evenings and be prepared to stay for hours at a
time.

> There is a speed penalty so it might be as well to add an option to Preferences
> to allow the user to turn this feature off. But even then the behavior of the
> views would not be consistent as the airbrush would (unless modified from its
> current behaviour) still update the additional views as it is used.

Well, this would be a whole new paradigm of behavior being introduced,
so how something behaves right now is of lesser importance.

> Whilst it may be helpful to modify the paint tools in this way my aim was to
> modify the transform tools so that the preview appears in all views - thereby
> adding to the usability of the Unified Transform tool.
>
> If someone could give me any pointers on how this might be achieved I would be
> pleased to look further at it.

Again, IRC - direct, real-time interaction with the developers.

> I have only just started looking at the gimp sources and trying to build it on
> Windows (with some success but I still have a few things to sort out) so I'm not
> familiar with the inner workings of the program.

The changes you have done to make painting work across all views would
be interesting to see. This is where attaching a patch to an enhancement
request in Bugzilla is a good approach.