Include external images by reference?

Users mailing list
Possibly a silly question: is it possible to include external images
by reference, for example as layers?  That is, to "link" to external
images, rather than to import them directly into a GIMP image, so that
changing the external image would also change the GIMP image.

For example, I'd like to be able to have a "cards.xcf" which
incorporates "diamond.png", "spade.png", etc., by reference, so I
could experiment with various .png files and see how they affect the
final GIMP image.  The .xcf file would, in essence, define the overall
structure, but the components would be flexible.

Thanks,
Joel

Re: Include external images by reference?

Ofnuts-2
On 03/04/2020 19:38, Joel Polowin via gimp-user-list wrote:

> Possibly a silly question: is it possible to include external images
> by reference, for example as layers?  That is, to "link" to external
> images, rather than to import them directly into a GIMP image, so that
> changing the external image would also change the GIMP image.
>
> For example, I'd like to be able to have a "cards.xcf" which
> incorporates "diamond.png", "spade.png", etc., by reference, so I
> could experiment with various .png files and see how they affect the
> final GIMP image.  The .xcf file would, in essence, define the overall
> structure, but the components would be flexible.
Can't be done AFAIK.

Re: Include external images by reference?

Rick Strong-2
I really like GIMP and have used it for a few years.

For layout of text though, including linked images,  I like Affinity
Publisher. They currently have a 90 day free trial or 50% off offer going.
Windows or Mac: $35.00 US.
A bit of a learning curve of course but there is a very helpful forum for
your questions and Affinity video tutorials.
https://affinity.serif.com

Give it a try.
Rick S.
Ottawa

Re: Include external images by reference?

On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 17:38 +0000, Joel Polowin via gimp-user-list
wrote:
> Possibly a silly question: is it possible to include external images
> by reference, for example as layers?

No, although you can do this with SVG, and it's supported in Inkscape.

ankh

--
Liam Quin - webslave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Full time slave in voluntary servitude