Imported SVG looks blurry in Gimp

Users mailing list
Hi everyone.
I'm making some very small object icons for a game.
Each icon is 24 x 24 pixels.

I imported in Inkscape an image I created with Gimp which was originally
500 x 500 pixels.
Saved it as an SVG image (a blue coat with red buttons) with  the following
parameters:

Size: 24 x 24 pixels
DPI: 90 (it cannot be changed or the size will change as well)

As an .svg file the image looks perfect (I checked the result with Image
Viewer).

When imported in Gimp with the same parameters, the image is very blurry and
impossible to define. The sharpen filter is of no use.

If I change the parameters when importing as an SVG image by increasing the
DPI to 300, the result is still very bad and blurry.

After testing, I discovered that only if the image is increased, in this
case 74 x 74 pixels then
you get a decent result. However, this result is useless to me because my
image must be 24 x 24 pixels.

I read several forums and blogs about how to improve the quality of
imported SVGs in Gimp and tried everything they suggested - even when it
did not make sense like enlarging  an image and scaling it down again or
scaling the layer...

I tried exporting to png directly from Inkscape but the result is the same
as in Gimp: too blurry to make sense.

In Blender there is mathematical function where you can multiply the number
of pixels in an image, I wonder if Gimp has a plugin or an easy way to do
the same.

Ideally, I would love the image in Gimp to reflect the same high quality
you get with a vector image.

Does anyone have any suggestions about this or knows of any plugins that
may help?

Thanks!

If it's relevant, my os is Linux Mint 18.3

Re: Imported SVG looks blurry in Gimp

Owen Cook

> Size: 24 x 24 pixels
> DPI: 90 (it cannot be changed or the size will change as well)

That is approximately 10 mm X 10 mm

If you are looking at it, say 40 X 40 mm size, it will look blury.

One way to visualise what is happening is to open the original image as say 480X480 and overlay a grid of 20px. Then you will notice what each pixel covers. You will also get an idea of the anti aliasing  will do which is what you will see when you magnify the 24 x 24 px image.

Owen

Re: Imported SVG looks blurry in Gimp

Users mailing list
Steve Kinney,

thanks for your help.

I followed your instructions (I'm using Gimp 2.10.8).
The dockable path dialogue is also available on the layer dock in this
version.
I created a new path, as you suggested but then I couldn't find an import
image at the
bottom of the dock.
However, if I right click on the empty path there is a menu with the option
"import path" where
I can select the .svg image but I get an error message "No paths found..."

Did I have to create a path in Inkscape? Because I have no clue. My purpose
was just
scaling down an image.

Thanks!

Owen,
I don't want to waste too much time for something like this. It would be
much easier for me to draw a new coat than
wasting too much time to resize the one I've made. It's just an item of
armor for an iconset in RPG Maker.
If it is a simple process ok, otherwise I won't bother any longer, I've
already wasted an entire day yesterday.
Thanks to you too for your help!

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 12:29 PM Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Size: 24 x 24 pixels
> > DPI: 90 (it cannot be changed or the size will change as well)
>

> That is approximately 10 mm X 10 mm
>
> If you are looking at it, say 40 X 40 mm size, it will look blury.
>
> One way to visualise what is happening is to open the original image as
> say 480X480 and overlay a grid of 20px. Then you will notice what each
> pixel covers. You will also get an idea of the anti aliasing  will do which
> is what you will see when you magnify the 24 x 24 px image.
>

> Owen

Re: Imported SVG looks blurry in Gimp

Steve Kinney

On 12/17/18 2:08 AM, Miracles Happen via gimp-user-list wrote:

> Steve Kinney,
>
> thanks for your help.
>
> I followed your instructions (I'm using Gimp 2.10.8).
> The dockable path dialogue is also available on the layer dock in this
> version.
> I created a new path, as you suggested but then I couldn't find an import
> image at the
> bottom of the dock.
> However, if I right click on the empty path there is a menu with the option
> "import path" where
> I can select the .svg image but I get an error message "No paths found..."
>
> Did I have to create a path in Inkscape? Because I have no clue. My purpose
> was just
> scaling down an image.
>
> Thanks!

A SVG file created with Inksacpe is nearly the same thing as a GIMP
"path", in that the formats are compatible enough for the GIMP to
interpret an SVG file.

I seem to have originally replied to you, not the list - oops.  For
reference, here's my earlier post:

I'm using GIMP 2.8.10, hopefully this all works the same in your version...

To import an SVG file into the GIMP, open the Paths dockable dialog and
create a new, empty path.  (That's the counter-intuitive part.)

Then, it becomes possible to import an SVG file via the "Import" button
at the bottom of the said dock.  [note: vs. right-click the new path's
thumbnail and select "import", I probably got that wrong in my original
reply.]

This should give "perfect" results, loading the original vector paths in
the GIMP, available for use in making an image with pixels and such. It
may take a bit of tweaking but the parts should all be present.

You can then render visible content on a (new) image layer from the
imported SVG path(s) via the stroke function, path-to-selection followed
by filling the selection, etc.