Images much darker in other editors

Users mailing list
I'm using the Windows 10 version of Gimp 2.10 .

When I create an image in Gimp to my satisfaction, if I display it in
other Windows programs (e.g. Paintshop Pro) it looks much darker. Is
there some option I need to set in order to have them look the same? I
have set export gamma when I export to a png but that doesn't make a
difference.

Basically, my problem is that if I were to send it away to be printed
professionally, how would I know whether the print would correspond to
the dark version or the light version?

- Richard.

Re: Images much darker in other editors

Liam R E Quin
On Fri, 2020-12-18 at 12:22 +0000, Richard Kimber via gimp-user-list
wrote:
> . Is
> there some option I need to set in order to have them look the same?

Make sure your image is either 8 or 16 bit and gamma (non-linear)
before exporting.

Click here to have the slave beaten.

On Sat, 2020-12-19 at 11:44 +0000, Richard Kimber wrote:

> >  Many thanks for the  tip. I was using 32 bit. When I converted it
> > to 16 the problem went away.

You're welcome. It's clear there is a prolem here somewhere but not
entirely clear what, so for now this is a workaround.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/
Barefoot Web-slave, antique illustrations:  http://www.fromoldbooks.org