Image Compression

Users mailing list
Hello,

I scanned in a magazine as JPEGs, 300 dpi and high compression, but
still each file is over a megabyte. When I create a PDF using these
files, it is over 250 MB. I was wondering if you could tell me how to
compress these files in GIMP so that the resulting PDF will be of
normal size.

Thank you,

Jason

Re: Image Compression

Users mailing list
Pictures in a magazine are likely to be copyrighted.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 4:59 AM Jason Amerson via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I scanned in a magazine as JPEGs, 300 dpi and high compression, but
> still each file is over a megabyte. When I create a PDF using these
> files, it is over 250 MB. I was wondering if you could tell me how to
> compress these files in GIMP so that the resulting PDF will be of
> normal size.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jason

My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt

Re: Image Compression

On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 10:59 -0500, Jason Amerson via gimp-user-list
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I scanned in a magazine as JPEGs, 300 dpi and high compression, but
> still each file is over a megabyte. When I create a PDF using these
> files, it is over 250 MB. I was wondering if you could tell me how to
> compress these files in GIMP so that the resulting PDF will be of
> normal size.

A PDF for printing is nomally hundreds of megabytes per page.

if you mean, normal compared to PDF files on the Web, scale the images
down to e.g. 96ppi. )96dpi). You may need to use unsharp mask on htem a
little afterwards.

Obviously a magazine will be copyright, as Cliff pointed out, so
remember it's not in general legal to redistribute even for no money.
unless you get permission, unless both the magazine and all items in it
are out of copyright- e.g. it's mover than 70 years since the death of
any artist or writer involved.

Liam (slave ankh)

Click here to have the slave rewarded with heavier chains.

Re: Image Compression

Øyvind Kolås-2
On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 4:59 PM Jason Amerson via gimp-user-list
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I scanned in a magazine as JPEGs, 300 dpi and high compression, but
> still each file is over a megabyte. When I create a PDF using these
> files, it is over 250 MB. I was wondering if you could tell me how to
> compress these files in GIMP so that the resulting PDF will be of
> normal size.

Your problem might be your PDF creation tool (unstated), rather than
your input images. If the images are black and white (or grayscale)
using TIFFs instead of JPEG might help - but PDF is also capable of
embedding JPG images directly inside which your workflow has not done
(unless you have roughly 250 pages...).

/pippin

Re: Image Compression

Dr. Jason Amerson
Thank you for the information.

On December 2, 2020 17:47:44 Øyvind Kolås <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 4:59 PM Jason Amerson via gimp-user-list
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I scanned in a magazine as JPEGs, 300 dpi and high compression, but
>> still each file is over a megabyte. When I create a PDF using these
>> files, it is over 250 MB. I was wondering if you could tell me how to
>> compress these files in GIMP so that the resulting PDF will be of
>> normal size.
>
> Your problem might be your PDF creation tool (unstated), rather than
> your input images. If the images are black and white (or grayscale)
> using TIFFs instead of JPEG might help - but PDF is also capable of
> embedding JPG images directly inside which your workflow has not done
> (unless you have roughly 250 pages...).
>
> /pippin

Re: Image Compression

Dr. Jason Amerson
Thank you for your help. I will give that a try. I know about copyright
issues but when I scan in books or magazines it is for my personal use. I
never distribute them.

On December 2, 2020 17:46:20 Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 10:59 -0500, Jason Amerson via gimp-user-list
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I scanned in a magazine as JPEGs, 300 dpi and high compression, but
>> still each file is over a megabyte. When I create a PDF using these
>> files, it is over 250 MB. I was wondering if you could tell me how to
>> compress these files in GIMP so that the resulting PDF will be of
>> normal size.
>
> A PDF for printing is nomally hundreds of megabytes per page.
>
> if you mean, normal compared to PDF files on the Web, scale the images
> down to e.g. 96ppi. )96dpi). You may need to use unsharp mask on htem a
> little afterwards.
>
> Obviously a magazine will be copyright, as Cliff pointed out, so
> remember it's not in general legal to redistribute even for no money.
> unless you get permission, unless both the magazine and all items in it
> are out of copyright- e.g. it's mover than 70 years since the death of
> any artist or writer involved.
>
> Liam (slave ankh)
>

> --
> Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
> with fabulous vintage art and fascinating texts to read.
> Click here to have the slave rewarded with heavier chains.

Re: Image Compression

Rick Strong-2
You haven't said whether the resultant PDFs are for printing or for web
viewing. And are you referring to a PDF of one page, letter size, or many
pages of a larger size? Nor do you tell us what size you think a "normal"
PDF is.

For printing you can get away with 260 dpi images.
For web viewing try 96 dpi, as has been suggested.
For a many-page PDF of course the file will be large.

Rick S.