Idea for new plugin

chin2-2
hi everone around

i have an idea for a new plugin for gimp. i may not be able explain it very well. but for those who wuold understand it would be nice..

the idea is about rotation of a selection..
what we have now is that the entire selection itself gets rotated..i.e if you rotate an oval selection with minor axis 'a' and major axis 'b' , 'a' along y direction and 'b' along x direction. by 90degrees. after rotation b would be along y and a would be along x.

what i would say that if we could have an option such that only the content inside the selection rotate and not the selection itself wouldnt that be great something new in an image editing software i dont thnk the closest rivals of GIMP have that option yet ..

for those who might not have understood what i mean here is the image of what i wanted to say...

--Nithin

Re: Idea for new plugin

Bugzilla from horkana@maths.tcd.ie

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Chin2 wrote:

> Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 12:34:42 +0530
> From: Chin2 <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Gimp-developer] Idea for new plugin
>
> hi everone around
>  i have an idea for a new plugin for gimp. i may not be able explain it very
> well. but for those who wuold understand it would be nice..

> http://www.freewebs.com/chin2online/plug1.jpg

The picture explains it well enough.

When people refer to the selection I would like to make it clear that you
are distorting the image (contents of the selection) rather than the
selection (the shape of the selection), but I understand it can be
difficult to explain these things clearly.  This is essentially a
distortion and hasn't much to do with the selection.

Such an effect can be achieved by creating an Elliptical selection and
then using the Perspective tool to invert and distort or rotate the
selection as desired.

It should be possible to automate the process using a script or a plug-in
if a programmer was interested enough to do it.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com
Dia http://gnome.org/projects/dia/
Open Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org

Re: Idea for New plugin

chin2-2
>When people refer to the selection I would like >to make it clear that you
>are distorting the image (contents of the >selection) rather than the
>selection (the shape of the selection), but I >understand it can be
>difficult to explain these things clearly.  This >is essentially a
>distortion and hasn't much to do with the >selection.

>Such an effect can be achieved by creating an >Elliptical selection and
>then using the Perspective tool to invert and >distort or rotate the
>selection as desired.

the ellipse was just an example
my idea ws to extend it  to all desired shapes

>It should be possible to automate the process >using a script or a plug-in
>if a programmer was interested enough to do >it.

well i create that if somebody would teach me the basics of the gimp code i mean how to get access to different things in gimp using code

Lakminarayan kamaths idea of the use of keyboard shortcuts sound really good.... why not create somethinglike that..

--Nithin