IImprovements to unified transform

Misslo777
Unified transform is great and has saved me a lot of time with tasks that I do.

I work with aerial photographs which can be very large images, like 5000 or
10000 pixels a side. When I overlay a historical aerial photo on top of a recent
one, I need to be able to access a size handle (maybe also a skew handle)
anywhere on the image, not just in a few places along the edges. The alignment
has to be very precise, and having to zoom out or scroll to find a handle I can
drag to resize the preview can mean I can't see as precisely or in the right
place.

We need something like a modifier key we press to make the diamond and square
appear right where the mouse is and we can drag right there instead of the
handles that are on the edges. It would have the same impact as dragging one of
the edge handles in the same direction.

TIA

--
BWK (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

IImprovements to unified transform

Misslo777
>Unified transform is great and has saved me a lot of time with tasks
>that I do.
>
>I work with aerial photographs which can be very large images, like
>5000 or 10000 pixels a side. When I overlay a historical aerial photo
>on top of a recent one, I need to be able to access a size handle
>(maybe also a skew handle) anywhere on the image, not just in a few
>places along the edges. The alignment has to be very precise, and
>having to zoom out or scroll to find a handle I can drag to resize the
>preview can mean I can't see as precisely or in the right place.
>
>We need something like a modifier key we press to make the diamond and
>square appear right where the mouse is and we can drag right there
>instead of the handles that are on the edges. It would have the same
>impact as dragging one of the edge handles in the same direction.
>
>TIA

I guess likewise also need a way of rotating without having to drag outside the
edge. That would need a rotator modifier key or tool.

--
BWK (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

IImprovements to unified transform

Misslo777
>I guess likewise also need a way of rotating without having to drag
>outside the edge. That would need a rotator modifier key or tool.

The problem with rotating is that centre of rotation could be well outside the
viewed area of the image.

What would make life a lot easier is if the Unified Transform tool would update
any additional views of the image (View/New View) that were open. You could then
use the tool on a view that showed the whole image (so that all the control
points/handles were available) and have an additional view (or views) zoomed in
so that you could see the effect of the changes on the part(s) of the image that
you were interested in.

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

IImprovements to unified transform

Misslo777
>I guess likewise also need a way of rotating without having to drag
>outside the edge. That would need a rotator modifier key or tool.

The crtitical issue is, when overlaying one aerial photo over another, you
aren't necessarily aligning the edges. Having sizing/skewing handles on the
edges or corners works fine if the edges or corners is what you want to align.
but in this instance, what you are looking to align is features that can be
anywhere within the image (aligning what is in the top layer with what is in the
layer underneath).

--
BWK (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)