I like it but I will have to go back

Misslo777
Hi - i am a new user. I use GIMP for my digital art and graphic designs.  I had
been using version 2.8 for the last 6 months or so, I did not know about the
newer version, so I downloaded 2.10.8 2 days ago. I like the interface, and i
have tried some of the new features, BUT I will have to downgrade back to
version 2.8 because i can't take the slowness. it takes minutes to select by
color, or delete backgrounds.  i a constantly geting the (No Response) message
from the simplest tasks,

One of the comments that I read said that 2.10 is only slow with large graphic
files, which most of my files are I do not have a powerful PC, and I am not
Planning on buying a new one soon.I have a Dell 2 in1  with an Intel Celeron
N3350  @1.10 GHz processor and 4 Gigs of RAM, running Windows 10. Can I install
the 32 bit version?  I think I read that the software auto-detects which version
to use.  I knw that the 64 bit version of Inkscape crashes  on my machine, but
the 32 bit works fine.

2.8 worked ok, It locked up when I was rescaling, or indexing super large
images but it did not lock up when performing the simple tasks, like opening a
file or selecting parts of the image.

I a hoping that there is a fix for this problem  now, or that as a member of
this forum, I will be notified when the problem is fixed.

Thanls
Misslo Lovestocreate
@Misslo777

--
Misslo777 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

I like it but I will have to go back

Misslo777
>Hi - i am a new user. I use GIMP for my digital art and graphic
>designs.  I had been using version 2.8 for the last 6 months or so, I
>did not know about the newer version, so I downloaded 2.10.8 2 days
>ago. I like the interface, and i have tried some of the new features,
>BUT I will have to downgrade back to version 2.8 because i can't take
>the slowness. it takes minutes to select by color, or delete
>backgrounds.  i a constantly geting the (No Response) message from the
>simplest tasks,

Are you short of disk space? That can make a big difference when editing large
images.

> Can I install the 32 bit version?  I think I read
>that the software auto-detects which version to use.  I knw that the
>64 bit version of Inkscape crashes  on my machine, but the 32 bit
>works fine.

You can force the Gimp installer to use the 32 bit files it contains. Use the
/32 switch

For others, how to determine if your Windows is 32/64 bit.

64 bit has both "Program Files" **and** "Program Files (x86)" folders. 32bit
only "Program Files".

Whatever you choose, I recommend un-installing Gimp first using the Windows
uninstall menu. Then check to see if anything remains in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2
If not empty, delete it.

Which version to use? There are some Windows installations that have issues with
current 32 bit Gimp. I would try the previous version 2.10.6 - this might change
for the better, in the future.

https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.10/windows/gimp-2.10.6-setup-1.exe

Go to where you downloaded the file, open a terminal and run the installer

gimp-2.10.6-setup-1.exe  /32

The same will apply if you want to install Gimp 2.8 that way - the last version

https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/gimp-2.8.22-setup.exe

A screenshot attached with some hints.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1067/original/force32.jpg

Re: I like it but I will have to go back

Jernej =?utf-7?Q?Simon+AQ0-i+AQ0-?=
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 12:25:32 +-0100, rich404 wrote:

> You can force the Gimp installer to use the 32 bit files it contains. Use the
> /32 switch

To be precise, you have to uninstall GIMP first, then run the installer
with the /32 parameter - the parameter is ignored if GIMP is already
installed (and you only have to do this once - it'll be remembered for
future installs; this is also only intended to be used as a workaround -
32-bit version receives much less testing and is mainly there to support
the scanner plugin).

--
< Jernej Simon+AQ0-i+AQ0- ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

I like it but I will have to go back

Misslo777
>Are you short of disk space? That can make a big difference when
>editing large images.
>You can force the Gimp installer to use the 32 bit files it contains.
>Use the /32 switch
>
>For others, how to determine if your Windows is 32/64 bit.
>
>64 bit has both "Program Files" **and** "Program Files (x86)" folders.
>32bit only "Program Files".
>
>Whatever you choose, I recommend un-installing Gimp first using the
>Windows uninstall menu. Then check to see if anything remains in
>C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 If not empty, delete it.
>
>Which version to use? There are some Windows installations that have
>issues with current 32 bit Gimp. I would try the previous versio.  n
>2.10.6 - this might change for the better, in the future.
>
>https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.10/windows/gimp-2.10.6-setup-1.exe
>
>Go to where you downloaded the file, open a terminal and run the
>installer
>
>gimp-2.10.6-setup-1.exe  /32
>
>The same will apply if you want to install Gimp 2.8 that way - the
>last version
>
>https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/gimp-2.8.22-setup.exe
>
>A screenshot attached with some hints.

Thank you for your quick response!  I have installed 2.10.6  with the /32
switch.  Hopefully, it will not lock up my computer.

Misslo777

--
Misslo777 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

I like it but I will have to go back

Misslo777
>Thank you for your quick response!  I have installed 2.10.6  with the
>/32 switch.  Hopefully, it will not lock up my computer.
>
>Misslo777

UPDATE: Just wanted to let you know that switching to  the 32 bit version of
2.10.6  worked!  indexing the PNG still takes forever, and hangs the machine
(like before) but it does not lock it completely, and I am able to create huge
indexed pngs for surface design patterns.  Happy Holidays1

Miss Lo
@Misslo777

--
Misslo777 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)